Audi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was hoping the clock would automatically adjust to the time change. No luck. Clock on instrument cluster and the RNS-E are an hour behind. I checked the settings on the RNS-E and I am not able to even highlight/select the option for time source. It is slaved to the instrument cluster.

Is there a way to change to the satellite clock and will it sync with the instrument cluster clock? BTW, I have a euro 'D' model running the 2007 US DVD and updated firmware in a B7A4.

TIA

·
Registered
172 Posts
Other way around, change the time on your instrument cluster, and it will show correctly on the RNS-E. The nav unit is slaved to the cluster for the time. It is so easy to change the clock on the instrument cluster (on an A6), is it that hard on an A4???

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not hard at all. I guess I was not clear.

For those who do not have DIS/FIS displays and code the RNS-E as such. The clock is automatically set via the GPS satellite clock and I assume automatically changed for events like DST.

However, if the RNS-E is coded for DIS display, the RNS clock is slaved to the instrument cluster. This seems a$$ backwards to me. Why not slave the instrument cluster to the GPS clock instead? Clock remains accurate and would automatically adjust for time zone changes, etc. while traveling. Is this possible?

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Not true. The RNS-E will only use the satellites to set the clock if the CANbus is not connected and therefore it can't see the cluster at all. It has nothing to do with the coding for the DIS. The cluster clock has no idea about DST. Whether or not this process is backwards is debatable, but that is how it works.

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
NSX JR said:
The cluster clock has no idea about DST.
Except on cars sold in Germany which can have (not sure if it's standard) a radio receiver that synchronises the cluster clock to the time code transmitter at Braunschweig.

·
Registered
155 Posts
NSX JR said:
Not true. The RNS-E will only use the satellites to set the clock if the CANbus is not connected and therefore it can't see the cluster at all. It has nothing to do with the coding for the DIS. The cluster clock has no idea about DST. Whether or not this process is backwards is debatable, but that is how it works.
Yup. When I had the RNS-E in my 04 VW Golf it couldn't chat with the cluster for the time and therefore resolved it from the satellites.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
PetrolDave said:
NSX JR said:
The cluster clock has no idea about DST.
Except on cars sold in Germany which can have (not sure if it's standard) a radio receiver that synchronises the cluster clock to the time code transmitter at Braunschweig.
Wonder if we could make that work with our "atomic clock" in Colorado?

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
The radio clock module is plugged into the cluster, from the back using a 3 or 4 pin connector. Once installed it must be enabled with VAG-COM so that the cluster knows it's there. On the US cluster those pins are missing.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Yes, on my B6 test cluster I see space and pads for a 4-pin connector, that must be it. Do you know how to get hold of the EU modue (and cost)?

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
I don't have access to ETKA at the moment but I have seen once that it's in there. No idea about the costs though but once you have the part number you can go to http://nininet.de/preise/index.php and look up the current list price n Germany.

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
The clock module is P/N 4B0 919 145 B and the cost in the UK is GBP 25.62

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
23,95 € plus tax in Germany

·
Registered
32 Posts
bjarne said:
Does anyone have any information on how it interfaces to the cluster in Eurpoe?
The radio clock module was only designed for the EU market. It receives the so called DCF77 atomic clock signal.
Details: http://www.ptb.de/en/org/4/44/442/dcf77_1_e.htm (there is also a description of the protocol)

The clock module interface consists of 3 signals:
1 - Data output
2 - +5V
3 - <nc>
4 - GND

The clock module only does the AM demodulation and transmits it to the cluster (which knows the DCF77 protocol). So it should be rather easy to adapt a US radio clock (or whatever will be the source) to the DCF Protocol so that the cluster time/date gets synchronized.

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
Mark Cooper said:
can any 1 give details of the coding for this as i am going to fit it as I hate changing the time
Taken from http://en.openobd.org :

en.openobd.org said:
Select 17 (Instrument Cluster)
Adaptation -> Function 10

-> Channel 19 (Misc)

xxxx?: Remote Clock

0 - Remote Clock not active
1 - Remote Clock active

xxx?x: Ambient Temperature

0 - no Display, Illumination inactive
1 - Display and Illumination active

xx?xx: Driver Information System (DIS)

0 - DIS 1
1 - Highline without DIS
2 - DIS 2

x?xxx: Board Computer

0 - only Level 2 (long time memory)
1 - Level 1 and 2

?xxxx: Illumination Option

0 - Needle and Scale only active at 'Light on"
1 - Needle already active at 'Ignition on'
2 - Scale already active at 'Ignition on'
3 - Scale and Needle at "ignition on" active

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just got the bits from my local Audi dealer

I have 1 small module, 1 plastic plug and four wires.

My cluster has no pins on it so I will have to solder the wires onto the pads. +v , -v and data

I think I have worked out which three to use on the cluster but don't now what the
pin out of the module is so can't connect to it

Any one have a diagram?

·
Registered
235 Posts
So there is no way to tell the rns-e to not grab the instrument cluster clock? Or disable it through vag? (assuming I don't purchase the magic black box on here that does that:) )
this coding is purely for the EU units and the atomic clock over the in germany?

Select 17 (Instrument Cluster)
Adaptation -> Function 10

-> Channel 19 (Misc)

xxxx?: Remote Clock

0 - Remote Clock not active
1 - Remote Clock active

1 - 20 of 24 Posts