Audi Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2014 A5 Premium Plus Cabriolet Quattro 2.0T
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any bets whether I've got an issue still to deal with, or just had mechanics leave a little too much mess behind? Read on... I had my radiator coolant changed yesterday in my 2014 A5 Q 2.0T Cab (68,000 miles) by an independent shop new to me but apparently well-respected. Today, after driving about 15-20 miles total after the service, I noticed about 1-2 teaspoons of coolant (pink) in two separate little puddles on my garage floor, corresponding to the two different parking placements I had used for the car. I took off the belly pan and clearly saw earlier this afternoon that the drip location is at the radiator drain valve (lower left front corner of the car). There was a bunch of wet slippery looking stuff all around the lower left corner of the radiator. I quickly returned to the same shop today, leaving the belly pan at home. They hoisted the car on the rack and did a pressure test, reporting no loss of pressure. They ascribed the slippery wet look also to the silicone lube used for hose reinstallation. Of course I will continue to monitor my coolant level, and watch my garage floor. But is it possible to sling around too much coolant while doing a change, never getting it inside the radiator to being with, that it would spill out later while driving? Or get "burps" after coolant servicing, that spill fluid even though the system is tightly sealed? I am positive that my car's coolant level was steady for months and months at a time, up until yesterday.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
the puzzle evolves from one issue to another - I took a 100 mile drive today, and my coolant level has stayed the same, at Max, and there are no more drips on the garage floor yet. And the temperature gauge stayed solidly at normal on the whole drive (with plenty of 75 mph at 95F). The new puzzle comes (I hope) from doing the drive with the belly pan still removed. At a point when I was driving the fastest, there also happened to be a strong headwind. A loud metal-to-metal rattle suddenly started from the front of the car, that disappeared fully when I slowed down even a little bit. It reoccurred 3 or 4 times, lasting no more than a 10 seconds or so each time, once being set off by a bump in the road but usually seeming like a purely aerodynamic flutter. Any similar experiences out there, of loud front end rattles only at high speed with the belly pan removed?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The problem is resolved completely I think. The car is maintaining Max coolant level nicely. The mystery noise I'm positive was the belly pan for the transmission, which I never removed and which normally is partly held in place by the aft edge of the engine belly pan. So - keep all your undercoverings in place. A sudden loud noise at high speed is not a wise thing to allow. And beware, when draining your coolant, especially if by the expedient of disconnecting the lower radiator hose (rather than the drain valve), clean up / rinse off all the splashed old coolant. There are nooks and crannies that can drip the splashings onto the ground and your garage floor days and many miles later.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts