Audi Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've looked on search and can't find anything that seems address what I want to do. I have my CD collection on my Ipod and Itunes. I have not downloaded any songs from Itunes, so protection should not be an issue. I want to transfer some of my music onto 2 MB SD cards to play in the RNS-E. I managed to transfer some music onto the SD card, but the RNS-E can't play it or read it because the format is MPEG-4. I have Video Ipod Gen5. Can anyone give me a simple DIY to get some of my music onto the SD card in MP3 format?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, but I'm asking for a simple DIY. I am new to Itunes and SD cards, so I need some hand holding. The only file conversion I can see is in Edit>Advanced>Importing. I still don't know how to actually convert the files and then export or copy them to the SD card. Sorry to be such a NOOB.

·
Registered
737 Posts
There's also a great file converting program called dBpoweramp. You can go and try it out on their website.

·
Registered
515 Posts
highlight all the songs in the library, right click (if you have a PC) and select "convert to mp3".. you can also find "convert to mp3" under the advanced menu i believe..

then go to the importing tab under the edit>preferences and change it from ACC to MP3 so that all future CDs that you rip will be MP3.. there is no reason not to use the more universal MP3 format..

i also found the default ID3 tag version for iTunes is 2.2, but for some reason the RNS-E will not be able to use "song name" if you use v2.2.. so again you can select everything and convert ID3 tag to 1.1 (1.2, 2.3 and 2.4 seem to work - not sure why 2.2 doesnt??)..

speaking of the ID3 tag version, does anyone know how to change the default tag version or why v2.2 seems to be the only version that doesnt work with the RNS-E..

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. Through trial and error, and reading what I could on ilounge and some other sites, here is what I came up with. This is very close to Fritzner's reply.

In iTunes, select edit, preferences
Click on the Importing tab.
Under "Import Using", select MP3 Encoder
Hit OK
Highlight the songs you want to convert. I did this one album at a time by selecting all songs for that album.

After conversion to MP3, you still need to get the songs onto the SD card.

Right click on one of the songs you just converted.
Select "Song File"
Highlight the files (MP3) that you want to copy to the SD Card.
Select copy to SD Card drive (drive e in my case) This will copy all the songs you just converted in that batch to the SD Card. Remember only to highlight the files with MP3 extensions.

I still need to organize the files on the SD Card as they are only in alphabetical order. But at least I can listen to the SD Card now!

·
Registered
515 Posts
coincidentally over the wknd i noticed the long album titles were truncated in iTunes.. i editted the title and noticed the ID3 tag is now v2.2.. :?

i changed it back to v1.1 and the title was truncated again.. :shock:

so i experimented with the different versions and found the v2.x allows longer titles than v1.x..

i corrected all my truncated album titles, they changed to v2.2, then i converted them to v2.4..

i need to double check them in the RNS-E..

but in my last experiment
v1.0, v1.1 showed "song name" and also "genre" on RNS-E which i have turned off..
v2.2 would only show "file name"
v2.3, v2.4 showed "song name" and allow longer field lengths in iTunes, but does not show "genre" on the RNS-E (which is fine with me)..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts