Audi Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Owners Manual for my 2004 B6 S4 says that the care remembers the code of the radio, so that if you disconnect the battery you don't have to re-enter the code.

Well, my car still remembers the code of the OE Symphony II - anyone know what has to be re-coded (with VAG-Com I guess) to change this to the code of the RNS-E that I've fitted?

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
It's acutally the head unit which remembers the car, not the other way around. My RNS-E was asking for the code while connected to 12V only and when I first put it in my car. Since then neither my RNS-E nor my Symphony II ask for a code.

So, as long as you don't connect it to a different car (and maybe keeping is disconnected from a car for a very long time) it should not ask for the code.

·
Super Moderator
11,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
AudiA4B6US said:
It's actually the head unit which remembers the car, not the other way around. My RNS-E was asking for the code while connected to 12V only and when I first put it in my car. Since then neither my RNS-E nor my Symphony II ask for a code.

So, as long as you don't connect it to a different car (and maybe keeping is disconnected from a car for a very long time) it should not ask for the code.
As you know my RNS-E has been in and out the car every Friday trying to debug my CD changer problem - for between 15 minutes and 2 hours. Whenever it's out of the car for more than about an hour I have to re-enter the code.

But my Symphony II has remembered the code after having been out of the car for nearly a month.

Is this another symptom of what I suspect is a faulty RNS-E?

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Hard to say. I don't know how the RNS-E or other HUs get the car's signature (be it VIN or anything else). I guess the only way for this to work is to use the k-line or CAN-bus and talk to the ECU or instrument cluster. Since your RNS-E seems to act somehow strange, maybe there is something wrong. Did you do the reset (hold RADIO and SETUP for more than 10s) and do you have the newest software (sw 0100) installed?

·
Super Moderator
11,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
AudiA4B6US said:
Did you do the reset (hold RADIO and SETUP for more than 10s)
Not heard of this RESET facility before. Wonder if this might fix my CD changer problem too? I'll go straight out to the car and try it.

AudiA4B6US said:
and do you have the newest software (sw 0100) installed?
I'm running SW 0080. I've got 0100 and intend to upgrade, but I've been holding off because of the problems I've been having. Perhaps it might be a good idea to "bite the bullet" and burn that upgrade CD.

·
Registered
42 Posts
My RNS-E didn't even ask for the security code... maybe cuz I bought it brand new?

Now there's no way to tell since it will always recognize my car... I just wanna make sure the code works! :)

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Haw1144 said:
My RNS-E didn't even ask for the security code... maybe cuz I bought it brand new?

Now there's no way to tell since it will always recognize my car... I just wanna make sure the code works! :)
Mine didn't ask either at the beginning. Then after playing about two weeks with the unit being connected to just 12V+ and GND, I got the prompt out of the blue. IIRC I have read somewhere that there is some grace period for brand new devices. You either connect them to a car right away or, as I did, just to power. in the first case it will be married to the car without asking for a code, in the latter case it will start prompting for the code after a while. if yo haven't installed it yet, keep playing with just 12V+ and GND connected. if you already installed it, try to connect it in another car or just to power. You should see the prompt eventually...

·
Super Moderator
11,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
PetrolDave said:
I've got 0100 and intend to upgrade, but I've been holding off because of the problems I've been having. Perhaps it might be a good idea to "bite the bullet" and burn that upgrade CD.
Upgraded to 0100 today - had no effect on the remaining problem I've got -> CD changer still doesn't work with RNS-E (but does with Symphony II).

I did notice yesterday (while still running 0080) that small streets disppeared when I set the scale to more than 300+ yards, could this be the cause of the "missing streets" problem?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts