Audi Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The first time I installed my RNS unit the CD-changer did not work, and the Nav was working intermittantly. I ordered a new harness from Euro Parts (which came amazingly quickly! Thanks!) I installed the RNS again tonight with the new harness.

CDC works now, but there is a nasty electronic background noise that accompanies it (I am using a BlitzSafe adapter hooked up in the trunk). It is not an alternator whine noise, it is little electric chirps that are rather ear piercing. They do not change when the main volume is changed, or when the input volume (on the iPod) is changed.

I was told to try cleaning the laser lens in the RNS since I was getting read errors for the DVD nav. I did this a few times, and it has done nothing. I am trying to get ahold of a spare NAV DVD from TeddyBGame later this week, and I might be able to test that, in case my disc is just corrupted... I have also reset the unit a few times, and this has not helped.

So, now I need to fix the background noise problem, and more importantly get the nav working!

on a positive note, my MP3 cds and SD cards are working great!!

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Since you have a B5, make sure your CDC ground wire is actually grounded. This will NOT be the case with any PNP harness "out of the box". Your CDC ground wire is pin 10 in your black 10-pin radio connector. For a temporary troubleshooting step, you can just get a length of wire with both ends stripped and shove one end into the 10-pin radio connector pin 10 (it will be a purple wire) and connect it to a ground source (any metal part connected to the framework of the car). See if that solves your CDC problem.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If that ground is not connected, it won't work at all AFAIK. I did wire in the purple wire to the correct ground as per the instructions by Ted on your website

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
More on the Nav Disc read errors:

It seems to give me errors most often when I am sitting stationary and entering a route destination or when I am reaching the end of a route.

Could it be an issue between the Euro unit (though it has the US firmware) and the US DVD. Haagie did the flashing of the new software, so I assume it is right.

J

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I suspect you have a DVD copy on cheap media. These usually give problems when the unit becomes hot...which happens when you are sitting still entering data. Get an original DVD or a copy on Verbatim brand media to solve this problem.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is a copy on a media brand that I had not heard of before- TraxData.... I am trying to get access to a spare DVD from someone so I can confirm.

I still have the "noise" issue with my CDC input, though... and that one really stumps me.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Speaking with someone here who is selling back up nav discs, he mentioned that my drive needed to be "calibrated" I am not sure what this entails, or how to do it, but could something like this be the reason I am having problems with the Navigation?

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
There are 3 reasons why DVD drive can fail:
1) damaged mechanism (usually from pushing / pulling disc to hard)
2) recalibrated laser
3) activated temp sensor (pic below)

[siteimg:92b01b5bbf]583[/siteimg:92b01b5bbf]

1 - once mechanism is damaged it is need to be fixed by electronic shop.
2 - Usually cleaning laser will help. Sometimes you can use cleaning DVD but sometimes you need to get access to laser eye, because dirt stick to hard and DVD will not work. Alcohol and soft cotton cuetip usually work fine.
3 - either sensor is to sensitive or weather condition lock the sensor.

80% of the time, using OEM DVD work because pressed disc is always better than burned. readibility of OEM disc is way higher. You can get !a version for $30 on eBay. Don;t worru about map data because it 2006 maps are exactly the same as 2004. The only difference was firmware change which you probably have already loaded anyway.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was able to fix the annoying electronic background noise I was getting when I used the CD changer input. On a whim I removed the "bose pin" from the harness. The sound quality it much better for all channels now and the electronic background noise is eliminated. It mist either be a) my car doesn't actually have Bose (though the symbols are on all the doors), or b) the amplifier itself is damaged in someway?

Still struggling away with the disc. Trying to pick one up on ebay...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts