Audi Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't want to ask questions that have already been answered, but after a lot of searching and reading recent posts I don't see what I'm looking for. I checked the knowledge base too but it didn't have what I am looking for.

I am starting my search for a navigation system for my B6 A4 and need to start from the basics. I don't know what RNS-E is as opposed to NAV+, etc. I have been able to deduce some things by reading people's posts but I'm looking for some real beginner's post that assumes you know nothing about OEM navigation systems. Is there such a thing around here?

Thanks.

·
Registered
85 Posts
You want RNS-E. It is the new one, much nicer, ect ect. Do it, adds the icing on the cake (with cake being superb Audi interior). Well worth the $

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cberdy said:
You want RNS-E. It is the new one, much nicer, ect ect. Do it, adds the icing on the cake (with cake being superb Audi interior). Well worth the $
Haha, thanks for the reply. It seems like I'll be going with the RNS-E but I like to fully understand my options as well as what I'm getting into before any purchase. Maybe I'm just starting in the wrong forums since the name of these forums implies that one already knows what NAVplus is?

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Audi has Navigation and Navigation Plus systems. The Audi Navigation (without plus) is called Basic Navigation System (BNS) and uses the small display in your cluster only to display naviagtion data. The Audi Navigation Plus is called Radio Naviagtion System (RNS) and has a bigger color screen in the head unit, that's the Plus in Navigation Plus. The older Navigation Plus is called RNS-D. Compared to the newer RNS-E Navigation Plus it has fewer features, a smaller screen and is more complex to install.

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
AudiA4B6US said:
The older Navigation Plus is called RNS-D. Compared to the newer RNS-E Navigation Plus it has fewer features, a smaller screen and is more complex to install.
And needs 11 CDs for maps to cover the US, where the RNS-E needs only 1 DVD.

Same story in Europe - 1 CD per country (roughly) for the RNS-D, or 1 DVD (2 with the 2007 maps) to cover most of Europe for the RNS-E.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. I can now follow your posts with some more understanding! Soon enough I'll be one of you guys with the RNS-E!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts