Audi Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About to pick up an audi pre-owned allroad and trying to confirm my understanding about RNS-E and satellite (radio) installation. i am considering a 2004 or 2005 allroad and it may or may not come with satellite prep, so...

1) for a 2004 allroad W/SAT, i think it is a fairly straightforward swap-in for the RNS-E. satellite should work fine through the unit. i don't believe I need anything special for the satellite compatibility. cost = ~$1,500 at reputable dealer.
2) for a 2004 allroad W/O SAT, i need the RNS-E and OEM Sat kit which i think i read will work through the RNS-E. a little more complex install (routing of the sat to the shark fin?) but should be straight forward. cost = $2,000 at reputable dealer
3) i believe the above is also true for a 2005 allroad w/ and w/o satellite

any confirmation of the above would be greatly appreciated... thanks!

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
If by satellite you mean satellite radio, then it really has no bearing on whether or not you can install RNS-E in your car because all USA cars from 2004 up are prewired for SAT radio.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
NSX JR said:
If by satellite you mean satellite radio, then it really has no bearing on whether or not you can install RNS-E in your car because all USA cars from 2004 up are prewired for SAT radio.
so what exactly does it mean when I am told that some cars are satellite prepped and some are not (if they are all prewired for sat radio)?

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
rapcomm said:
NSX JR said:
so what exactly does it mean when I am told that some cars are satellite prepped and some are not (if they are all prewired for sat radio)?
It means someone doesnt know what they are talking about if they are in the USA. The only vehicle I know of that is newer than 2004 that does not have SAT radio prep is the base model Q7.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts