Audi Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

It's my first post on the forum so hello to all out there in Navplus land. You guys have been an great inspiration to me not to mention a wealth of invaluable knowledge.

After many months lurking on the forum gathering info I've finally taken the plunge and bought an RNSe to replace the Concert II+ in my 8P S3.

I've read just about all I can find about changing from the new Concert/Symphony units to the RNSe, these two threads were particularly interesting as they make references to the wiring in the quadlock plug.

Will new Symphony/RNS-E in latest S3 become a problem?
http://www.navplus.us/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4117

RS4 Symphony HU (Symphony II+) with Phat Noise Problems
http://www.navplus.us/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4117

Whilst cross checking the pin outs for the Concert II+, RNSe and also the wiring present in the car, I've noticed a few differences. It isn't quite plug and play. For the sake of completeness I've included all differences and any answers I've managed to find.

Here is a pic of the pin outs on the Concert II+ unit taken by cgthanos (many thanks :lol:)

Connector A
Not required as car has Bose fitted.

Connector B
RNSe Pin 3 - Gala speed signal. I believe this isn't required on the 8P chassis. Is data available over the CAN? No corresponding pin available on the Concert.
RNSe Pin 7 - BOSE. Needs moving from Concert pin 5.

Connector C
RNSe Pin 2 - reverse signal. I believe this isn't required on the 8P chassis. Is data available over the CAN? No corresponding pin available on the Concert.
Concert Pin 7 - K-LTG K line diagnostics, not required on 8P as it has CAN.
Concert Pin 10 - AUPL Some have suggested audipilot, but there is no corresponding pin on the RNSe, so should be disconnected or it will be connected to the RNSe Mic out pin.

Connector D
RNSe Pin 14 - Alarm ground. This is the same Pin on the Concert, but isn't wired in the car. Is this data available over the CAN? Will this cause problems if this wire isn't connected? I believe this is used to tell the RNSe to switch off.
Concert Pin 16 - DI-SENS. This is currently bridged to Pin 15(+12v) on the car wiring. This should be disconnected as Pin 16 on the RNSe is labeled as no connection.

I'd like to ask for the forums advise on the above before I plug in and switch on. Looking forward to your answers.
Many thanks.

Regards, John.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Good to see that you did your homework. I see nothing wrong but I also haven't seen many II+ to RNS-E upgrades yet. The important thing is that the II+ to RNS-E is not plug an play even thos the connector fits and the RNS-E will turn on when you just plug it in.

I would leave the AUPL wires disconnected. It's function has not been mentioned anywhere yet but I doubt it's the AudioPilot. The AudioPilot microphone is wired directly to the Bose amp and the RNS-E mic out are used in SDS capable setups.

I would translate DI-SENS to Diebstahlwarnanlagensensor which is similar to alarm sensor. Maybe the new radios monitor a 12V+ signal while the got "car locked" via CAN. Since you said that it is 12V+ instead of Ground it wouldn't be a good idea to connect this to the alarm ground pin on the RNS-E. Do a test and leave the wire disconnected. Then sit in the car, open a window and lock the car with the remote. After a couple of minutes the RNS-E should go into deep sleep (you should see the screen change from dark black to some greenish black). There should also be no hissing from the amp anymore. If that's the case the RNS-E did detect the car getting locked via CAN and everything should be fine.

Good luck...

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Further to this install I was recoding John's S3 setup and found a fault with the ZF antenna - Short to Ground.

Now I have just done my first S3 installation of concert II+ to RNS-E and that also has the same fault. ZF- Short to Ground.

MW & LW seem ok, but it is a bit worrying.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I took my own advice and adjusted the wires in the quadlock as in my original post, plugged in and hoped for the best :shock:

The unit asked for the code and then worked as it should. A visit to CraigyB and a quick VAGCOM session soon had the RNS coded properly for my wheel size, Bose and the phone prep.

That ZF short might be something or nothing, but as Craig says the radio works on LW and MW.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
ZF is only for FM, you won't notice it's missing in AM or LW.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
AudiA4B6US said:
ZF is only for FM, you won't notice it's missing in AM or LW.
Didn't seem to be any issues with FM reception either and the TMC data comes through too.

Regards, John.

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
I thought ZF was the lower frequencies...

1 - Connection HF (high frequency) from left aerial module -R108-
2 - Connection ZF (intermediate frequency) to left aerial module -R108-

Multi-pin connector B, 12-pin (T12l)

1 - Signal (left-side) from digital radio -R147-
2 - Signal earth to CD changer -R41-
3 - Signal earth from digital radio -R147-
4 - Permanent live to CD changer -R41-
5 - BOSE coding to earth (only with BOSE)
6 - CD data output to CD changer -R41-
7 - Signal (right-side) from digital radio -R147-
8 - Signal (left-side) from CD changer -R41-
9 - Signal (right-side) from CD changer -R41-
10 - Switched positive to CD changer -R41-
11 - CD data input from CD changer -R41-
12 - CD-CLK from CD changer -R41-

Multi-pin connector C, 12-pin (T12m)

1 - Speed signal (not used)
2 - Signal from reversing light switch -F4- (not used)
3 - Signal (front left) to amplifier -R12- (only with BOSE)
5 - Signal (rear left) to amplifier with bass loudspeaker -R44- in luggage compartment (left-side) / amplifier -R12-
6 - NF- (low frequency) from telephone transmitter and receiver unit -R36-
7 - K-diagnosis (not used)
8 - Signal earth to amplifier with bass loudspeaker -R44- in luggage compartment (left-side) / amplifier -R12-
9 - Signal (front right) to amplifier -R12- (only with BOSE)
11 - Signal (rear right) to amplifier with bass loudspeaker -R44- in luggage compartment (left-side) / amplifier -R12-
12 - NF+ (low frequency) from telephone transmitter and receiver unit -R36-

Multi-pin connector D, 8-pin (T16g)

9 - CAN Bus High (Infotainment)
10 - CAN Bus Low (Infotainment)
11 - NF mute (low frequency) (not used)
12 - Terminal 31
13 - Switched positive to amplifier with bass loudspeaker -R44- in luggage compartment (left-side) / amplifier -R12-
14 - Anti-theft alarm earth (not used)
15 - Terminal 30
16 - Permanent live to PIN 15 (anti-theft system)

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
AudiA4B6US said:
I would leave the AUPL wires disconnected. It's function has not been mentioned anywhere yet but I doubt it's the AudioPilot. The AudioPilot microphone is wired directly to the Bose amp and the RNS-E mic out are used in SDS capable setups.
The AudiPilot feature is working, you can here the volume levels going up and down, although there are some very infrequent times when it changes for no apparent reason.

AudiA4B6US said:
I would translate DI-SENS to Diebstahlwarnanlagensensor which is similar to alarm sensor. Maybe the new radios monitor a 12V+ signal while the got "car locked" via CAN. Since you said that it is 12V+ instead of Ground it wouldn't be a good idea to connect this to the alarm ground pin on the RNS-E. Do a test and leave the wire disconnected. Then sit in the car, open a window and lock the car with the remote. After a couple of minutes the RNS-E should go into deep sleep (you should see the screen change from dark black to some greenish black). There should also be no hissing from the amp anymore. If that's the case the RNS-E did detect the car getting locked via CAN and everything should be fine.

Good luck...
I did sit in the car for several minutes with the alarm on but the hissing didn't stop. At this point disarming the alarm and turning the RNS on brought it back to the same function it was showing when it was switched off. Which suggests it didn't go into deep sleep mode.

I then left it for say half an hour, went back to the car and powered up the RNS. It came on and showed the startup screen. Does that mean that it went into the deep sleep? If so then as you say all is well, apart from the ZF issue.

Thanks for your assistance.

Regards, John.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.