Audi Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been meaning to put this thread up for a while now (had the nav in since january haha), if for nothing else but to thank some people on or related to this forum. I am from Melbourne, Australia and have a B5 A4 with no can bus and found information out here a little hard to come by. While i knew people that had converted with Can and i know people that have a vag com there were a lot of little things that i couldnt find answers to.

This is where TeddyBGame came in. So ridiculously helpful!! Apart from answering my questions while i was researching the bits and pieces he also helped and guided me through the sourcing project and customised my rns-e harness too! His work on that harness can only be described as art hahaha. So thanks Ted.

In addition to Ted, i'd like to thank Larry from europarts.us for his help, and anyone on this forum who answered my questions. So the results:

The Parts:
1. A6 RNS-E Unit (4B0 model)
2. RNS-E adaptor harness with built in can bus simulator (with custom integrated dension ipod wiring to reduce the cabling cluster behind the unit THANKS TED!)
3. Double Din centre console & double din cage
4. GPS Antenna & Fakra Connector
5. Dension Ice-Link Plus (w/ firmware update)
6. S500 Update
7. Custom modified air con surround to accomodate the nav.
8. Motorola Bluetooth car kit (no can-bus means no factory bluetooth)

The Result:
Before

After

(Yes i did swap the wood grain for the silver & black trim, personal preference :p)

Over all i have done a few bits and pieces to the car so i figured i'd show you guys what i've done with the exterior too...

The Car:
Before

After

Enjoy, and thanks again...

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Very nice and clean install (and car as well).

·
Registered
167 Posts
Nice work!

Can you tell me if the actual centre console is different double din than single? Or is it possible to put the double din cage into the single din console?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, i can tell you that the centre console is different. It has different mounting points for the cage, HOWEVER, i know for fact that people have changed just the cage and made custom brackets to attach the cage to the single din console, but yeh i found the whole console for half the price of just the cage!! Ebay can be your friend at times...

·
Registered
167 Posts
Thanks, I think I'll make the bracket can't be that hard.

Great install btw, well done, like the chrome rings in the cluster too!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeh i wouldnt assume the brackets are anything too fancy. i think its just a height thing for where the cage bolts to the console.

those chrome rings have gotten a lot of attention, they are a nice little dress up for the b5 i think. makes it look more modern.

·
Registered
5 Posts
nice install

Looks exactly like I want mine to :)

I've just done exactly the same conversion to double din and install in my B5 S4 here in Sydney.

How did you do the surround for the climate control? Just cut down the original trim part or make a new one?

Also, where did you get your NAV-DVD for australia? I can't find anything on ebay or anywhere else, so the only option so far is to shell out 900 bucks to Audi.

Mitch

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the exact same setup as you before your RNS conversion. Could you tell me how you did your ac control unit please ?

·
Registered
23 Posts
It's the single-din B5 climate control unit installed in a B5 double-din cage. The single-din radio & HVAC surround is then cut to fit the repositioned HVAC control after the rns-e is installed.

Note: using this approach, there is no need to cut the rns-e faceplate. After seeing Mike's pics, I did the same in my B5 S4.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts