Audi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my battery is fried, it won't hold a charge and I've had to drive around with a jump pack until I can get to the dealership next Monday. However, I just found that I can get a Bosch battery from Pep boys for half what the dealership is charging, so I figure I can just swap it out myself this weekend. Now, the key question is, if I do that, can I use Vag Com to program the battery once I swap it, or do I still need to go to the dealership?

·
Registered
595 Posts
you can swap the battery yourself, as long as the new battery has the same specs as the original one. To code it you will have to use the vag-com and enter the serial number of the battery. Entering the serial number in the coding information will tell to he battery manager controller that a new battery has been installed.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does it matter on the brand of the battery? I've heard that some of the after market alternatives are a much better than factory. Do you know what other brands (Rayovac/Bosch OEM) we can use?

·
Registered
595 Posts
Audi uses Varta and Bosch here in Europe, i am not sure about the approved battery types in US, but according to Audi Specifications the battery must be 110Ah/520A, normally any battery with this specs or higher will be OK as long as it fits in the battery box underneath the driver's seat.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Any Bosch with same or higher specs. Check also the size to fit in the battery box.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I can send you the extract from the service manual that shows how to replace the battery but i will need an email address.

I can not upload pdf files to the forum.
You can send it by PM.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I can send you the extract from the service manual that shows how to replace the battery but i will need an email address.

I can not upload pdf files to the forum.
You can send it by PM.
I got up this morning to a flat battery.

Neo, would you mind sending me the extract from the service manual too?

I'll send you a PM.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
you can swap the battery yourself, as long as the new battery has the same specs as the original one. To code it you will have to use the vag-com and enter the serial number of the battery. Entering the serial number in the coding information will tell to he battery manager controller that a new battery has been installed.
Hello, I am intersted also to change my battery, can you send me the extract from the service manual that shows how to replace the battery.
My email adress is [email protected]
Many thanks
Happy new year
Malko

·
Registered
595 Posts
I tried to send you the info from the manual but your server does not accept PDF files as attachements, here is the error i get :

<[email protected]>:
93.17.128.25 failed after I sent the message.
Remote host said: 550 5.7.1 Extension de fichier interdite

·
Registered
4 Posts
Honestly, I don't think it matters. You can just leave it the way it is. I have a 2005 A6 (that is now my spare car, I replaced it with a 2015 A6 Prestige) and the first time I replaced the battery with a VW/Audi Genuine Battery it wanted the model and serial number off the sticker. But the second time the battery didn't even have a serial number on the sticker so I didn't change the coding. The car was just fine.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts