Audi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m having trouble getting my RNS-E to sync up with the FIS. It has the typical never-ending request for the unit code. Looking for any other options to try…..

The setup:
2002 B5 S4
4B0 035 192P unit
H44 hardware
Upgraded to US firmware
Soft coding 0502113

The RNS-E will take the code just fine if the CANbus is not connected. But as soon as I connect the CANbus and start the car it goes into the never ending loop asking for the code.

I put my friends RNS-E (that I set up for him too) in my car and it does not have the looping problem once I do a reset with ignition on. Conversely I put mine in his car and it loops. His car/unit is the same setup, but H52 hardware. I also swapped wiring adapters and it had no effect.

I can see it’s trying to communicate with the FIS since when I enter the code the FIS will flash the radio station frequency for an instant. Also if I turn on the headlights the RNS-E button background lights will come on for an instant after entering the code too. (I also assume the CANbus is fine since I’ve had a Nav+ with TMC in there for over four years).

It will VAGcom fine. But will go to the code entry screen as soon as Navigation is selected on the VAGcom. Is that normal? I forgot to check this operation on my friend’s unit.

What else should I try? The frustration level is getting high. Otherwise the unit navigates just fine. Are there any other VAG adaptation channels that I need to address?

-Jon

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hoenlere said:
Check my thread here. Had the same problem, you just need to reset the unit.
I assume you mean "press and hold RADIO and SETUP with ignition on until the RNS-E reboots". I've tried. No effect.

-Jon

·
Registered
517 Posts
Have you tried just leaving it in the car for an hour or two, and then try entering the code. I have this issue every time I have my cluster disconnected for any reason, and 'patience' have always solved the problem for me. Sometimes the reset works, but most times I just drive around and then let the car sit for a while.

·
Registered
114 Posts
JLoft said:
hoenlere said:
Check my thread here. Had the same problem, you just need to reset the unit.
I assume you mean "press and hold RADIO and SETUP with ignition on until the RNS-E reboots". I've tried. No effect.

-Jon
1) With the ignition OFF turn on the radio.
2) Input your code.
3) Reset the unit.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
This is one of the biggest PITA when installing into a pre 02 car. Make sure you leave it powered on with the car running for about 15 minutes then turn the car off and leave for another 15 minutes or so. When you turn back on it should accept the code.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
reset will not help.

Once everything is connected, leave your car for 20-30 minutes and let your unit register with ECU. After that youshould be able to enter code and use it without any problems. This is usual issue with A6 and A4B5 platform because CAN registration is not as quick as new platform.

...after 20+ minutes you can actually hear through speakers little ping noise and unit is loosing power completely.

after that everythin is working fine - no passowrd input nedeed anymore

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Patience has never been one of my stellar triats. But OK, I can work with that.

I'll try the leave the car running for a while method in the morning (not tonight, because I played with it for so long with the ignition on I ran down the battery - backup lights were on).

But what still baffles me is that I can take my neighbor's unit, put it in my car, do a reset with the ignition on, and it works perfectly. I set up both units exactly the same, except his is Bose and H52 and mine is no-Bose and H44.

-Jon

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
JLoft said:
Patience has never been one of my stellar triats. But OK, I can work with that.

I'll try the leave the car running for a while method in the morning (not tonight, because I played with it for so long with the ignition on I ran down the battery - backup lights were on).

But what still baffles me is that I can take my neighbor's unit, put it in my car, do a reset with the ignition on, and it works perfectly. I set up both units exactly the same, except his is Bose and H52 and mine is no-Bose and H44.

-Jon
Don't leave the car running :D
Can need to be off and locked....all trick is to let NAV loose power from main and backup battery and register with ECU. Swapping units doesn't matter because it will only register one code.

Just let it sit for 20+ min and you will be fine ;)

·
Registered
114 Posts
PROXUS said:
reset will not help.
The method I posted above does work. The difference is trying to input the code with the ignition on versus the ignition off. It will take the code with the ignition off. After it takes the code reset the unit and all is well.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
let's rephrase....it didn't work on any of A6 based cars I worked on. Honestly passwort problem anly appeared on 4 out of at least 20+ cars I installed. some cars just work right away.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
TeddyBGame said:
John...John...John,
If you had read Lee'd pdf on www.nsxjr.com...you would have knew all about this. Shame...shame...shame. I expected better from an enthusiast like yourself. :)
Ted,
Yes, I am most certainly embarrassed. I have read and even printed out all the info I could find on code entry and still failed. I even did my secret "code fix" dance around the car (all I got was 3" of rain).

This morning was comsumed with wife airport pickup and mundane errands. Have to be nice so I can get that new lawnmower and also a trip to Boston with her next business trip so we can have dinner together. I'll do the code entry by the exact instructions this evening.

-Jon

·
Registered
39 Posts
How did the code thing work out? I have a B5 and will be getting a unit soon...just want to make sure I'm not stuck in the same situation.

Hope it worked out!

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
I had to chence test bfly method (thnx for this hint ;) ) on A4 B5 and it didn't work at first. But It worked for me with additional steps:

1) With the ignition OFF turn on the radio.
2) Input your code.
3) Reset the unit.
4) Turn radio off
5) turn radio On and check if unit ask for PIN
6) if not - turn it OFF and turn ignition ON

·
Registered
2 Posts
My B5 S4 with the same specs is looping too!

I tried the steps Proxus suggested, doesn't work.

I can only use the unit when the ignition is off or the key is out. Then it takes the code fine. But when I switch the unit off, it asks for the code again. Same thing if I have it on and turn on the ignition, it goes back to asking for the code. I've tried resetting it at the code entry and after with the ignition on and off, nothing works.

It's 2am now so I'll try again in the morning and hope that the ECU has updated it somehow...

Any suggestions? Help!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Guys, I still need more help on this code looping. I've been working on it on-and-off for another month. I think I've tried all the suggestions. Left it sit with the ignition off. Drove around for a few days. Did the front panel reset. Still the same. When the ignition is on it continually asks for the code.

No error codes on the vagcom. The CAN bus must be ok because the unit turns on with the ignition and also the radio station number will quickly flash on the FIS when entering the code.

Can this have anything to do with the adaption setup with the vagcom? I checked all the channels and they look ok to me. But what is channel 8 (my value is 3)? And what is channel 16 (says security code required)?

As I mentioned earlier it works fine with the CAN bus disconnected. Turning on the ignition causes the code input screen to come up. Even just attaching the vagcom does it.

Is there a variation with the hardware? Mine in H44. As I mentioned before, my neighbor's unit that I set up the same works fine in his car and mine too. His hardware is H52.

Thanks for all the help. I'll try whatever ideas promptly.

-Jon

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Channel 8 is GALA/SVC, it's read only channel. Channel 16 is locked in sw 0110 but had on real functionality in older software either.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mine worked the next morning

Jon - I drove around with the nav unit with it asking for the code, did you try that or was the nav off when you drove around? Then I parked the car at work and by the Nav gremlins gave up and it worked when I drove home. I believe I have the same HW as you on my 01S4. Good luck!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts