Audi Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Afternoon,

My wife got her 2022 Audi Q3 - S-line Prem on August, 2021, she drove around 4000 miles, and I am thinking change engine oil, but Audi oil is kind expansive, wonder anyone change their own oil has any suggestion? the only information in user guide is VM Standard, SEA 0W-20/ACEA CS. wonder Mobile 1 or Castrol oil can be the replacement for audi brand? and oil filter brandname?

Thanks

Frank

·
Registered
2014 A5 Premium Plus Cabriolet Quattro 2.0T
5 Posts
I have an 8 year old Audi A5 for which I have done most of the oil changes since new. It's a 2.0 turbo, not so different from your car's engine. However, I'm pretty sure that VW/Audi have updated their oil requirements spec since the time of my car, to cover thinner viscosities than my car requires. The main motivation for this change is minute improvement in fuel economy, mostly, I think. The old spec I need for my car is called "VW502" and Mobil1 makes it, in 0W-40 viscosity, and it's easily available in my regular auto parts store. Here onwards, I'm less sure... but I think the new spec for your car is called "VW508", and while it looks like Mobil does make a VW508, the website doesn't suggest it's easily available. I believe VW/Audi work most closely with Castrol, rather than Mobil, but personally I'm not familiar with Castrol at all. I suspect you may be able to find correct-spec VW508 Castrol oil from a cheaper source than an Audi dealer, but I've never looked. Double-check everything I've said here first, though. (more related speculation -- I believe VW/Audi's picky oil specifications relate to their also having long 10,000 mile oil change intervals; I also own a turbo Subaru, and Subaru takes a different tack, less picky on oil specs, but with short 6,000 mile change intervals.)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts