Audi Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did some searching and can't seem to find the right answer.
Does anyone happen to have a diagram that lays out what pin # on the end of the male factory audi cd changer cable matches up to the color of the wire inside the cable?
NSXJR and Teddy have wonderful guides on NSXJR's website, but, it doesn't seem to be my wire. It says there is a red wire inside the bundle, but there isn't.

In case anyone cares, I'm wiring my sirius into my car, and i'm getting a bit confused.
I'm trying to follow Teddy's guide on NSX JR, but, sections contradict themselves.
Page 49 and 50 of 58 shows all 8 wires being used.
In NSX Jr's guide (rnse.pdf) on page 25 of 61, it only shows 5 wires being used.

*sighs* I don't have bose, and I have a phatbox. Power isn't an issue - already good to go there.
I just want to know if I need to use all 8 wires, and the corisponding colors I need to splice into for the factory Audi CDC wire.
I know this from one of NSX JR's earlier posts, I just need to know what color wire goes with it :) I don't want to splice each wire till I find the right 3...

13 pin CDC cable in trunk :
1 R CH audio
2. audio gnd
3. L CH audio
4. audio gnd
5. CD gnd
6. N.C.
7. ACC power
8. N.C.
9. Data clock
10. B+ power
11. Data in (R-data)
12. N.C.
13. Data out (CH-data)

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Instead of editing my previous post, i figured I'd simply post my stupidity:
Aparently, the two guides show different options. Teddy's guide allowes for "Audio pass through" for either a phatbox or cd changer. Had I read the guide close enough, I would have realized that.
NSX JR's guide, simply depicts sat tuner only audio.

I still need the pin # to wire color guide for a trunk based cd changer as it appears to be different than the glove box one.
I say that because the glove box cd changer seems to have a red wire everyone is talking about - but the one in the trunk does not.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
First I'd like to note that I can't imagine any case where you would need to splice into these wires, but here they are for your reference:

1 R CH audio: Red
2. audio gnd: Bare/shielding
3. L CH audio : White
4. audio gnd : Bare/shielding
5. CD gnd : Brown
6. N.C.
7. ACC power : Yellow
8. N.C.
9. Data clock : Black
10. B+ power : Blue
11. Data in (CH-data) : Orange (grey in B5)
12. N.C.
13. Data out (R-data) : Pink (purple in B5)

Note: The red and white audio wires will be inside a shielded cable within the CD changer harness. All you will see is a big black outer insulation unless you cut into the wire and through the shielding. These are for a C5 A6. The B5 A4/S4 has different colors as noted.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thats awesome! I wouldn't have thought to strip down the two black cables in there too.
What is the difference between cd ground and audio ground.
Does it matter which I use?
Teddy's guide says to use audio ground which he says is brown, but you say brown is cd ground...
Your thoughts?

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
dmollico said:
Thats awesome! I wouldn't have thought to strip down the two black cables in there too.
Teddy's guide says to use audio ground which he says is brown, but you say brown is cd ground...
Your thoughts?
Dont use the audio ground for anything except the audio wires. The CD Ground is the chassis ground connection used for the power connections.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So audio ground will be the one in the brown wire then? or the two twisted mesh copper (bare shielding) wires in the harness?

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
dmollico said:
So audio ground will be the one in the brown wire then? or the two twisted mesh copper (bare shielding) wires in the harness?
The two data wires are also encased in grounded shielding, but they are separate. The audio wires are together within their shielding. The shielding of the two audio wires is the audio ground.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok! So, pins 5 and 8 comming from the sirius tuner go to the wire shield protecting the red/white wires from the cdc harness. (Check and double check.)
Thanks!

·
Registered
996 Posts
dmollico said:
Your thoughts?
Keep in mind, my PDF depicts how to modify the 13 pin Kenwood cable to enable audio passthrough for the SAT tuner (with CD changer, or phatbox or ipod interface etc)...and not wiring details for the OEM trunk CD changer cable. Most B5 and C5's with this OEM cable, won't give you enough room to access it to cut it apart. Hence the usage of this aftermarket Kenwood cable.

Make sense?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
heh - makes a ton of sense.
Thanks dude! I just ended up splicing into it anyways.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts