Audi Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now I'm not sure if the RNS-E does CD text when you play a CD actually in the head unit itself. But if it does why can't it be done thru the CD changer?

I mean it picks up RDS from FM stations and that's not even wired to the head unit. I shows ID tags for SD cards, so what's the deal?

Is the CAN H/CAN L not capable of sending CD text? I'm pretty sure its capable because I get station listings thru my Sirius Satellite Tuner wired into my RNS-E thru the CAN H/CAN L.

Is is just a matter of a firmware/software upgrade?

The reason I ask this is that switching from the Symphony I to the RNS-E. The RNS-E is a little tricky to work with the Phatbox.

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
todd1010 said:
Now I'm not sure if the RNS-E does CD text when you play a CD actually in the head unit itself. But if it does why can't it be done thru the CD changer?

I mean it picks up RDS from FM stations and that's not even wired to the head unit. I shows ID tags for SD cards, so what's the deal?

Is the CAN H/CAN L not capable of sending CD text? I'm pretty sure its capable because I get station listings thru my Sirius Satellite Tuner wired into my RNS-E thru the CAN H/CAN L.

Is is just a matter of a firmware/software upgrade?

The reason I ask this is that switching from the Symphony I to the RNS-E. The RNS-E is a little tricky to work with the Phatbox.
This is one of those questions that gets asked on this forum on a very regular basis - there is a search facility!

The FM tuner is internal to the RNS-E, so I'm not sure what you mean when you say "that's not even wired to the head unit" since it's an integral part of the head unit...

The connection to the CD changer DOESN'T use the CAN bus, it uses a "special-to-type" connection which does not support CD text and no firmware/software to the RNS-E will change that. So the capability of the CAN bus is not relevant.

I don't have experience of the Phatbox, but from what I've read here lots of guys have the Phatbox working with their RNS-E and love it (they keep trying to persuade me to give up on the CD changer). What do you mean by "The RNS-E is a little tricky to work with the Phatbox"?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts