Audi Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok heres whats going on...Im in the US I bought a euro RNS-e from some one on craigslist...I had my US 2007 disc delivered from cberdy I followed the instructions below exactly...When i go to insert the dvd it reads it and then says CD/DVD unreadable..

now my unit has software SW:0150

also keep in mind that my it plays original AND burned cds just fine....AND I live in denver so the weather has been dry and 75-80 degrees

I dont have an original nav dvd so I havent been able to try that

heres what ive tried
1.Reset the rns-e by holding power for 20 seconds
2.recopying the disc
3.using a lens cleaner
4.restore factory settings
5.Hitting "return" when the unreadable message comes up

none of the above help

SO>>>>now what? anybody know anything???

below are the vag instructions i followed

1. Download the 2 attached zip files. Burn each one on a separate CD (not DVD) and make sure you label them, one being SW version 0110 and the other being SW 0150. The 0110 file is in the format of a CD image already and the 0150 is several files.
2. Hookup VAG tool. Under the "radio" section (not NAV as strange as it sounds) in VAG software read channel 97. It should read "0" as the default. You need to change this so it reads "1". Change it and read it again to confirm it has been changed. Exit VAG.
3. Insert the CD with SW 0110. It should begin to update. Be patient, it might take a minute for it to start and to finish. Once finished, confirm in VAG that channel 97 is still set to "1". Exit VAG
4. Remove update CD once it has updated and insert the nav DVD you have. The nav should update again, be patient as it does...
5. Once this is complete, go in VAG and change channel 97 back to "0". Change & confirm, then exit VAG
6. insert the second update CD with 0150 files. Should update, again be patient. Once this is done, push the "car" button on the RNS-E. Check the version. It should now read "0150" instead of the previous "X--". You now have a fully converted US RNS-E and all future updates will be automatic, no VAG necessary ever again. Put in new 2007 DVD. It might update again (can't remember or not) but should now be running perfectly. No more Warning screen!

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
CD/DVD unreadable indicates a defective or dirty DVD drive or broken DVD. I would start with an original DVD and see if that is readable. If it is you have a bad backup DVD. If the original DVD isn't readable your DVD drive is defective or the lense needs cleaning. Only if the RNS-E says "Software Update CD" you have a problem with the software.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I have seen one other unit do this as well. If lens cleaning does not work then your DVD drive has simply gone bad. Since nobody has a source for replacement drives yet then you're looking at a whole new RNS-E. I would suggest going to a trusted seller this time instead of plopping down cash to someone on craigslist/ebay/etc.

·
Registered
996 Posts
I've seen this before.

The unit was from Ebay (Lithuania), and we upgraded it from EU to US 0150.

It will:

- read/play an audio CD prior to conversion to 0150 and after conversion
- read the update CD and copy of 2007 mapdisk to complete the upgrade to 0150

It will not:
- read a copy of the 2007 map disk (i've tried 4 or 5 different disks)
- read an original 2A mapdisk from NavTeq

I hesitate to recommend a disk/lense cleaner as the owners manual explicitly forbids using something like this.

Should we try the lense cleaner disk and take a chance? Thoughts?

-Ted

·
Registered
538 Posts
rns-e drive

When the laser problem still exists you can have a plug and play working dvd unit, just pm me. It' s easy to change it by yourself.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts