Audi Forum banner
381 - 400 of 415 Posts
nice one ;)
i have bought a pcb to convert signal.. ( the one we can see on previous page)
i need your help if possible to wiring .. betwin vga ==>pcb and rnse lead ..
i'm not sure and don't want to be wrong ..

i have also touch screen panel and usb controler for it ^^
i need to buy canbus adapt, i wait money ;)

Can someone tell me if i'm wrong with this ??
for wiring between VGA to RNSE 32 pin connector

-VGA pin 1 to pin 32 of 32 pins connector
-VGA pin 2 to pin 16 " " " "
-VGA pin 3 to pin 31 " " " "
-VGA pin 13 to HSync on pcb
-VGA pin 14 to VSync on pcb
Do i have to connect 1/6 2/7 3/8 gva pin each other ??

-CSync of pcb to pin 15 of 32 pins connector
-and for the sound, 3,5mm jack to 6/21/22 pin of 32 pins connector

also another question to ROGUE,
have you a link of your peak system to convert high to low speed bus ? if i understand i need canusb but also this adapter ?? :/

Thanks to all
Sebastien

I am using 4 core Audio cable to wire from the board to the multimedia connector. I cut it to length with some spare, because 4 cores is enough for C Sync + RGB but not enough for H/V + RGB. from the VGA connector. So, I put the board very close to the VGA connector and add some small lengths of wire as necessary.

There are 5 grounds on the VGA connector for H/V and RGB, and I found you can just wire all these together. As you will notice, the power ground and sync ground are the same on the board - so it doesn't matter to put them together.

You will also notice that you get 5V power on pin 9 on the VGA connector, so again I used a small piece of wire to power the board. The ground for the board can go back to the H/V + RGB ground in the VGA connector, so you can have a nice installation where the board is connected and powered simply by plugging into the VGA connector.

In summary, you should have RGB on 1,2,3.
Ground on 5,6,7,8,10.
H/V sync on 13,14.
5V Power on 9.

This page is your friend: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VGA_connector

Wire Cable Electrical wiring Technology Sensor
Electrical wiring Wire Electronics Technology Electronic device

You can see in my wiring that I have taken the ground from the 4 core audio cable and made 5 seperate strands of copper to connect to the 5 grounds. Sorry about the messy soldering - I have remade the connector a few times :)

Yes, I did use a Peak systems converter, but I am working on a cheaper solution which will bring the cost down..

Thanks very much for your reply ^^
Can you send me in pm your email ?? it will be more easy to communicate ..

here the wiring diagram i have done with your help
tell me if something is wrong
it will help somebody else who want to try that project ^^

Someone have the Rogue's email ?
he's not often here and i need an information .. or if maybe someone can confirm that the wiring diagram i've done is correct ..
if no ,someone can send it to me by pm ..?
Thanks

Gonna try this soon ;-)

Hi Firestyler..

Are you going to use a touchscreen or go for button control?

If you want to keep things original I have kits for my button control method. The kit includes everything (except Hard drive) you will need including an M350 case, Dell Vostro A100 motherboard (945 chipset and Atom CPU), 1Gb RAM, M3-Atx Power supply, CAN bus adapters, button control software, professionally hand-made wiring harness and test wiring.

Keep in mind, if you have a 2010 version RNS-E there is no Video in Motion hack and if you are in the US the latest firmware update removes the TV-In feature.

Electronics Technology Electronic device Wire Computer hardware

Let me know.. I can get in touch if you want to know more about it.
Steve

Got a PU in my car. I know for VIM, but if you put a switch in between the canbus cables and switch them out while riding, RNS-E is still showing TV.
However this is not a nice setup.

I ordered myself all the components already for the VGA-RGB Csync thingy, together with a CAN-USB adapter from lawicel, and arduino with canbus shield.
Purpose is that the arduino will send the "TV is here!" signal to the RNS-E instead of an adapter or can-usb adapter, also i have to figure out if it have 2 different lines.
Then it should send all canbus signals from the cluster-gateway to arduino and arduino is sending on its way to the RNS-E and vice versa, only it will skip the speed code. So my RNS-E will not know that my car is driving. But first i need to test that.

Got an ITX Epia M10000 with 1GB ram, 1Ghz to test VGA input.

What's that adapter on the left? RS232 port? or VGA? You made up yourself?
btw i am from belgium, if you would be dutch speaking ;-)

That PCB do you have in Eagle? So i can send it to a PCB printer.
And make me a few of these. Have to figure out where to put the components etc...

I just start to order the things. I played and fooled already around with all these kufatec IMA's, Alpine KCE 415i,...

Hi All,

I just thought I would share that I have developed the software a bit more for button control. It now supports XBMC.

XBMC is design for display on a TV, so the fonts are hard to read on the old RNS-E.
The new RNS-E (shown) is not too bad though. However, I kind of find XBMC really unintuitive, but it is definitely faster than MCE on the Atom boards.

Maybe one day there will be a small-screen skin for XBMC.

For now, that is all..

Electronics Multimedia Technology Electronic device Vehicle
Electronics Multimedia Vehicle audio Technology Electronic device

Steve

Steven, for the VIM, it doesn't work if you use old firmware ??? it's like that i have done for the 192 model but i don't know if it works with 193 ...
we have to downgrade to SW0080 to be able to set 250km/h for tv ^^ and after add all new firmware to SW0660

Sorry Seb I'm not sure about the different firmware versions and what they do. All I know is in Australia, we still have Aux-In and TV and I have a VIM hacked 0650 firmware and hardware H50.

I will say one thing, it would be really great if we could get a VIM hack for RNS-E Mark 2..

Neither of the existing VIM hack nor SDS hack work on the 193 model RNS-E.

Guys,

I am playing now with an arduino to shoot in the canbus TV enabled signal. But the knowledge of an arduino is too basic... :(

found out a code and already tried to adjust this one to TV "here"...

Code:
#include <Canbus.h>
#include <defaults.h>
#include <global.h>
#include <mcp2515.h>
#include <mcp2515_defs.h>
void setup()
{
  Serial.begin(9600);

//Initialise MCP2515 CAN controller at the specified speed
  if(Canbus.init(CANSPEED_250))
    Serial.println("CAN Init ok");
  else
    Serial.println("Can't init CAN");
  delay(1000);
}
void loop()
{
  static char counter=0;

tCAN message;
  message.id = 602;
  message.header.rtr = 0;
  message.header.length = 8;
  message.data[0] = 0x81;
  message.data[1] = 0x12;
  message.data[2] = 0x30;
  message.data[3] = 0x3A;
  message.data[4] = 0x20;
  message.data[5] = 0x41;
  message.data[6] = 0x46;
  message.data[7] = 0x20;
  mcp2515_bit_modify(CANCTRL, (1<<REQOP2)|(1<<REQOP1)|(1<<REQOP0), 0);
  mcp2515_send_message_J1939(&message);
  counter++;
  delay(100);
}
Only i think the speed isn't good, should be 100ms if that 250 also means ms...

(here some more http://secuduino.blogspot.com/2011/10/fis-seat-leon-cupra-english.html)

But Rogue i've seen on your fb you created the print yourself with an iron? (etsing?) Can you tell more about this?

That arduino code looks OK to me. You will need to add the line:

#define CANSPEED_100 9 // CAN speed at 100 kbps

somewhere in your code. Or you can just call mcp2515_init(9) directly. that would work too.

Arduino is quite nice, but the big problem with the CAN bus shield is that it is not designed for "low-speed, fault tolerant" CAN networks. The CAN bus shield from SKpang electronics uses the MCP2515 CAN controller and the MCP2551 CAN tranceiver.

In my testing (and I had the same results when I used the LAWICEL CAN adapter before I added the TJA1054 bus converter) I could read messages from the CAN bus when connected to only the RNS-E, but when you setup everything in the car, the adapter will fail to read messages. Luckily, you can still send a TV enable message and it does work, but reading messages does not. This is probably because the CAN tranceiver can't understand what is happening when there are so many messages on the CAN bus.

If you only want to enable the TV, you could get away with using Arduino + CAN shield, but this will not work if you want to read messages from the CAN for button control.

If you want to understand this better, you will need to do some reading about the different CAN networks. The Infotainment CAN is "Low-speed, fault tolerant", and this is terminated differently to faster CAN networks, like the drivetrain CAN.

I for one worry a little bit about using the Arduino shield with the Infotainment CAN - it might cause bus errors.

381 - 400 of 415 Posts