Audi Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2006 A3 came with the sharkfin antenna mounted, even though it didn't have the Nav system. There's a compartment in the trunk for a Sirius/XM receiver, and the antenna cables for that are in place. I wonder if the GPS antenna cable can be found somewhere else? When I did the RNS-E install, I didn't see it behind the radio. Any ideas where I could look? Or is it unlikely to be anywhere? Are there versions of the sharkfin without GPS receiver?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah... So it's directly under the antenna in the B6 ... I was hoping they'd have it somewhere closer to the radio in the 8P, since they have the sat cabling all in the correct place... But I suppose they may not have that...

Wondering how hard it is to pull off the roof lining now... Hm. Probably not worth it... :)

·
Registered
996 Posts
you can by some interior trim removal tools on ebay from ZDmak. Cost about $20. I used them for removing part of my headliner when I installed the oem subfin in my 2001 A6 avant.

Also, you'll need to spend another $30 on the oem FAKRA/SMB cable (female-to-female) to run the gps signal from the antenna to the back of your future rnse. This is a common practice.

See some of the posts in the cables/antenna's forum in this forum that were started by me. Part#'s etc are in there.

Good luck!
-Ted

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do you guys think it's worth the hassle of getting the tools and cable for > $50, taking out the headliner and other paneling, running the cable etc. just to get better GPS reception (vs. the antenna installed in the air duct location over the radio)? It seems like I'm consistently getting 5-7 satelltes...

I was really just hoping that the cable was already run and ready, like the satellite antenna cables.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
For me it was worth very well the effort. I had 6-8 sat under clear sky with the under dash GPS but since I live downtown Chicago and park in high rise garage, it took about 5 minutes for the navi to know where I am - after dowing about 5 360 degree circles without GPS to leave the garage and then driving between al the other high risers. Now, as soon as I leave the garage it gets about 3 sat and shortly after it finds 5 and determines the current location. I find the navi now much more accurate, almost enough to give the tv in motion with GPS only another try. In the past GPS only wasn't an alternative in my area. At then it all depends where you live and how quick the navi is now to determine the location.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow, those are pretty extreme conditions, sounds like it was definitely worth it for you... Me, I live in suburbia, Northern California -- no highrises here, and I always have pretty reliable location data right away. Might not be worth it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.