Audi Forum banner

CANGate Voice Dial Function

1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  NSX JR 
#1 ·
After returning from my trip I came home to find a factory 'ASR' switch waiting for me. A couple weeks earlier I had NSX JR special order the switch for me (thanks Lee). It is a momentary switch that was for the European 2WD A4s. It goes in the blank location next to the fog light switches on 2000 S4s. Newer B5s have an 'ESP' switch in that location.

The reason for all of this was to get voice dialing working with the BT module. Byarne's CANGate has the ability to send a command on the canbus with a switch. With Byarne's help I was able to program my CANGate to send the voice dail command with the 'ASR' switch. I now have voice dialing working in a B5 S4. THANKS BYARNE!

So far most everything seems to work. The only thing at the moment that isn't working quite right is answering calls with the button. Instead of answering a call it is rejecting them.

Now I need to figure out how it all works.

Two things I would like to figure out are:

1) When inputing a new contact you have the option of adding more numbers. When you say add more numbers it just adds a random string of numbers to the stored number. Kind of an odd feature. I thought it would be for adding additional phone numbers to a contact (ie. home, mobile).

2) I really think there is coding somewhere to get the BT module to use the phones voice dialing instead of its own. Most likely the chip in the Audi unit was made by someone else, probably Parrot. With the Parrot kits you can select either method.

See less See more
Discussion starter · #3 ·
Discussion starter · #5 ·
bjarne said:
As you know, I have the same problems with answering calls and terminating calls.
I can get the button to terminate calls, just not answer them. When you press it to terminate a call there is a second or two delay.

Even though it is not the default behavior having it reject calls might be better anyway. With it rejecting calls you have two buttons, one to answer (the control button on the Nav unit) and one to reject (the voice dial button). You don't have to use the control wheel to reject a call, you can just press the voice dial button. So far I am pretty happy with it just the way it is.

My only complaints are with not being able to use the phone's voice dialing or at least having more than one number for a voice tag. Neither of these issues have anything to do with the CANGate.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.