·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, let me start off by giving you guys my basic info:

I have a 2001 Audi a4 (b5)
I had the Symphony I w/ bose head unit before
I have an a6 RNS-e (4B0)

I've been following the NSXJR.com guide for installing the RNS-e. The install is pretty much finished. My GPS is working. The only thing I can't figure out is how to get the CAN signals! I followed the directions on getting the CAN signal from my cluster (my clock is digital so it has to be there, right?). I moved pins 12 and 13 on the grey connector to 5 and 6 and I've also rewired the connector that plugs into the RNS-e harness. After doing that my RNS-e doesnt light up and when I VAG the car I'm getting fault codes saying that the CAN signal cannot be found. I've already Vagged the RNS-e to fit my setup. Whats wrong with this??? I've included some pictures that might be able to help. Any help is appreciated.

This is a picture of the grey connector behind the instrument cluster

This is a picture of the green connector behind the cluster. I was thinking maybe these could possibly be the CAN wires?

·
Registered
167 Posts
I'm not sure that any instructions suggest moving the wires on the grey connecter, I think they are either in 5 and 6 or not, if they were already in 12 and 13 then you would just connect these wires to your RNS-E, moving them isn't going to help!

Whilst the wires on the green plug *look* the same colour as CAN wires I'm not sure if they are.

I have a 2000 S4 (B5) and my can wires were on 5 and 6.

If i was you I would move 12 and 13 back and just run a test set of new wires from 5 and 6 to the RNS-E connector.

These wires are just dumb wires they don't know if they are CAN wires or not, they are only CAN wires when they have CAN signals running through them...

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Yes, by moving these wires you are re-using wires you dont need anymore for CANbus connections.

So, in the grey cluster plug you move pin 12 to pin 5 and pin 13 to pin 6. Looks like you have done this correctly.

In your 20-pin radio plug, you move pin 9 to pin 12 and then pin 8 to pin 7. By doing these two steps, you now have CAN H available in pin 7 and CAN L available in pin 12.

Of course, the last step is to make sure your RNS-E wiring harness is correct. It must connect the CAN H pin 7 to RNS-E pin D9 and the CAN L pin 12 to RNS-E pin D10.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
NSX JR said:
Of course, the last step is to make sure your RNS-E wiring harness is correct. It must connect the CAN H pin 7 to RNS-E pin D9 and the CAN L pin 12 to RNS-E pin D10.

I didn't do this. I'll go try it right now and let u no what happens.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Done this bit yet?

Using Ross-Tech VAG-COM, open ‘Controller 17 – Instruments’. Select ‘10 – Adaptation’ from the menu on the right of the open controller screen. Enter ‘062’ in the Channel setting and click the Read button, the setting will likely be 0 by default. Change the setting to 5, click Test, and verify that 5 appears in the Test area. Apply the changes. The RNS-E should now display track and navigation information in the instrument cluster

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
The only thing left to do is to verify you have everything wired correctly. If these instructions were followed properly, then it will work. I have done this same thing in 5 or 6 different cars and they all work fine. There's no magic to making this work. Either the wires are connected properly or they aren't

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Fault Codes:

Instruments- 17
01311 - Information Data Bus
37-00 - Faulty

Navigation- 37
01305 - Databus for Infotainment
014 - Defective

01305 - Databus for Infotainment
004 - No Signal/Communication

·
Registered
65 Posts
I followed Lee's guide and I have a 2001 B5 S4. I didn't try to swap wires I just ran new wires. I would try two things. First switch the wires you have (put the wire in pin6 in pin5 and vice-a-versa). If that doesn't work I would run new wires from the cluster pins 5 & 6 to the harness. As Lee said - we all know it works.

SMF

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
SMF said:
I followed Lee's guide and I have a 2001 B5 S4. I didn't try to swap wires I just ran new wires. I would try two things. First switch the wires you have (put the wire in pin6 in pin5 and vice-a-versa). If that doesn't work I would run new wires from the cluster pins 5 & 6 to the harness. As Lee said - we all know it works.

SMF
I'll try that after I cool down a bit. I'm fed up with this thing. Been working on this installation for 3 days! And it's too bad I broke the damn pin off of one of the connectors because now I have to fix that too :evil:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
IT WORKS!!! I had to run new wires...

I still have some more questions though...

1) Do I have to run the GALA wire?
2) Should I code it as an a6 or a4 unit?

Thank you all for all of your help. I never could have done this without you guys.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I understand. Last night with limited time I installed a Bluetooth module - adding it to my existing RNS-E installation - and it wouldn't work. My RNS-E would power cycle with it connected and I was totally frustrated because I checked all the codings and they were correct. I couldn't even get my phone to see the BT module.

I thought about it overnight and figured the only thing that could be wrong was swapped CAN H/L wires at the BT harness in the trunk. Sure enough, this morning I switched the wires and it all worked.

All I can say is once you get it all properly set you'll be a happy camper.

SMF

1 - 17 of 17 Posts