Audi Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally received my EU RNS-E today, and proceeded to install it with an adapter from Ralf. The unit works great, but I am having two problems.

There are two flying wires for the CAN connection, and the instructions says to tap into the wires from the gray 32-pin connector on the cluster, pins 5 and 6. But the connector does not have any wires in these positions, so I am at a loss to what to do next. Any suggestions are much appreciated.

The other problem is figuring out how to connect the antennae. The GPS fits in the upper right connector, so that seems correct. There is an adapter cable for the standard radio antenna cable, which fits in the outermost connector in the lower left. That leaves the last cable from the Symphony radio, which I am guessing must be the Diversity antenna, but there is no matching adapter cable to hook it up with. What do I need to do here?

I am also still working on getting the modified US DVD to work, but that is another story.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi,
Concerning the CAN issue, the idea is to add 2 wires in position 5 and 6. It's normal they're missing (you cluster doesn't work in CAN yet). You need to buy 2 wires with specific pins (PN :000 979 003) from VagParts for example and run those wires under the dashboard, from behind the cluster to the Nav unit.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
The diversity antenna should fit in the Fakra plug whihc is left free after plugging in the adapter for the main antenna and GPS. There are two versions I have seen so far. The cable from Ralf I saw had just a beige Fakra plug which allowed the diversity antenna to be plugged in right next to it. The antenna adapter from Kufatec had an empty place where the diversity antenna fits after removing the plastic hosing.

Does your diversity antenna plug look like the yellow/beige plug in the picture Justin posted at http://audi.ogdenlabs.com/installation.htm?

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies guys !

I am going to order a couple of wires from VagPars to connect the CAN part.

I got my cable adapters from Ralf Deventer, and had specified the radio type (Symphony I) and that I needed the diversity antenna. Unfortunately, there was no cable to convert the diversity connector in the set. (the rest of the cable adapter works great).

I guess I will do like JoeyD, and order the antenna adpter from Kufatec, it looks like the right one. Incidently, were you able to pay with Paypal? I don't see that option on the website.

Bjarne

·
Super Moderator
11,350 Posts
I ended up getting the Symphony to RNS-E adapter from Ralf and the antenna adapter from Kufatec.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Paypal at Kufatec

"Incidently, were you able to pay with Paypal? I don't see that option on the website. "

No, the only option I was given upon checking out was C.O.D (which tagged an extra 10 Euros on top of the supposedly fastest 29 Euro shipping method, which I might add, has not arrived yet and it's been a week.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: Diversity antenna connector in 2001 A6

JoeyD said:
I'm also installing a Euro RNSE in my 2001 A6. Unfortunately, the connector on the stock diversity antenna cable is not of the FAKRA variety. So I've ordered the antenna adapter from Kufatec with the extra pig tail which will hopefully do the trick. :)

http://shop.kufatec.de/product_info.php/products_id/136
Joey, did you ever get this antenna adapter from Kufatec, and did it fit the connectors from the Symphony I in your 2001 A6? I am in the same boat, and wanted to see if you had luck, before I ordered mine :)

I was told by someone else, that it would not work.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Kufatec adapters

Bjarne, sorry for the late reply. Been on vacation. I went to Italy and was seriously thinking about driving to Germany to pick up those darn adapters from Kufatec cause I still don't have them. After waiting two weeks or so for my "C.O.D." order to arrive, I get an email from Kufatec saying that they're awaiting my payment still. So now I'm trying to pay them and get my adapters but their response times are pretty bad. If I did business like that, I'd be eating cat food.

I'll keep you posted when and if they arrive. If the diversity adapter doesn't pan out, I guess I'll have to splice her in.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
JoeyD, Hope your vacation went better than your experience with Kufatec :)

Thanks for the update, and yes, please let me know if they fit, when you finally get them.

·
Super Moderator
11,350 Posts
bjarne said:
JoeyD, Hope your vacation went better than your experience with Kufatec :)
They do seem sometimes very good, and sometimes very bad as a supplier. Anyone know why? Is it just luck which of their people handles our orders or .... something else?

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
I think it's more the US customs process which may take anything from 2 days to more than two month. I have seen packets arriving after 5 business days and some after 9 weeks (not counting those which did not arrive at all).

·
Super Moderator
11,350 Posts
AudiA4B6US said:
I think it's more the US customs process which may take anything from 2 days to more than two month.
Not JUST US Customs - I'm in the UK (allegedly part of the same common market as Germany, and I still get customs problems sometimes.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts