Audi Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am interested to know if I can use an RNS - E /J version unit from a 2004 S4 in my 2004 S4 Cab?

THe person selling it mentioned I would need to modify it to work in my cab. Is this so? and if it is, how extensive of a mod is it?

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
It's plug and play, all you have to do is to reconfigure it for an A4 Cabrio using VAG-COM. It won't work right if you keep it configured for an A4 Sedan/Avant.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
The OEM GPS sits under the plastic trunk lid and I woudl probably try to go that route after seeing how much better the OEM GPS is compared to aftermarket. But the 3rd party GPS should fit behind the cluster just fine. Don't know though how to pull the cluster in a A4 Cabrio but maybe someone else can add some comments here.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Do you know the part# for the OEM GPS antenna for the B6/B7 cabs (I have a 2004 cab w/sat radio)? Does this include the cabling that goes from the head unit to the trunk lid and the antenna? Any other parts needed for the GPS antenna installation in this location?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
The cluster comes out quite easily in the cab...you just pop the cluster trim piece off first from the bottom, then there are two T25 torx screws at the bottom. I have put the aftermarket GPS antenna behind the cluster in two B6 cabs and they work great, 6-8 satellites while driving around.

IMHO, it is not worth the trouble of tearing apart all the interior trim to run the GPS antenna cable back to the trunk lid as well as all the extra cost involved (the OEM antenna and cable will be $100+).

·
Registered
81 Posts
Thanks NSX for the prompt and helpful reply. A few questions:

1. When you say behind the cluster, I assume you're talking about the speedo/tach cluster - is there then nothing above the antenna but the padded dash cover?

2. Is there plenty of room behind the cluster?

3. Does it matter which way the antenna is oriented?

4. What is the antenna secured to when placed behind the cluster?

I like this solution; I believe my 3rd party antenna is near the fuse box just to the left of the trunk release (I had someone install it for me). I am getting 0-3 satellites typically although I have seen up to 6 satellites.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Yes, behind the instrument cluster. There is plenty of room back there and it mounts on top of the steel cross-beam and points up towards the sky. You can let the magnet hold it in place or use some double-sticky tape to be sure.

audirb said:
Thanks NSX for the prompt and helpful reply. A few questions:

1. When you say behind the cluster, I assume you're talking about the speedo/tach cluster - is there then nothing above the antenna but the padded dash cover?

2. Is there plenty of room behind the cluster?

3. Does it matter which way the antenna is oriented?

4. What is the antenna secured to when placed behind the cluster?

I like this solution; I believe my 3rd party antenna is near the fuse box just to the left of the trunk release (I had someone install it for me). I am getting 0-3 satellites typically although I have seen up to 6 satellites.

Thanks again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts