Audi Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to add a amp and sub to my car, but now that I have the nav plus I don't know how or if I even could add this? My question is can I add a system to the nav plus?? If so can you give me instructions on how to do this or at least point me in the right direction.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I searched the forum, but didn't come across anyone installing a sound system(amp and box) to the nav plus system. I also clicked on your links in that last post and didn't come up with anything pertaining to adding an amp and box.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Teddy I need your help

Ted I went ahead and purchased the preamp output adapter. Then I realized you noted that I should buy the green yellow adapter. My problem is I have a 2005 6 cylinder A4 and theres wires already in that location on the 20 pin connector. In your write up I see you said it's reserved, but on my 20 pin that exact location is being used. Also the guy I bought the nav system from had a 4 cylinder 2004 A4 and his had a pin connector for his speaker outputs and mine didn't. Do you know what the problem is???

·
Registered
996 Posts
To be able to add this yellow preamp adaptor you need to

A) Convert your current black 20 pin connector...to a three piece version (Yellow, Green, Blue colors)
B) remove the 5-6 pins from this connector and reinsert them directly into your existing 20 pin connector...in the same exact location.

Of course, you need to remove the pins for your current factory amp (Bose?) in your 2005 A4.

The part numbers for the green, blue connectors can be found in this forum...under a post labeled: Part#'s for connections.

Make sense?

If not...please restate your original question.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I understand I need to buy the green yellow and blue connector it's just that pins 1-6 on my 20pin connector are already being used. I think they're being used by my speaker outputs cause I don't have a connector for my speakers. My question is what do I do cause I can't insert 5 and 6 into the 20pin connector caused spots 1-6 are taken up already.

·
Super Moderator
11,350 Posts
UpInYa said:
I understand I need to buy the green yellow and blue connector it's just that pins 1-6 on my 20pin connector are already being used.
Pins 1-6 are the 4 line out signals to the OE amp plus signal ground plus switched 12V to the amp.

UpInYa said:
I think they're being used by my speaker outputs cause I don't have a connector for my speakers.
That proves your car has an OE amp.

UpInYa said:
My question is what do I do cause I can't insert 5 and 6 into the 20pin connector caused spots 1-6 are taken up already.
If you want to replace the existing amp with your new amp, then connect to pins 5 & 6 from your new amp, reconnect the speakers from the OE amp to your new one and (optionally) ground the wires that used to go to pins 5 & 6 from the OE amp.

·
Registered
996 Posts
UpInYa said:
I understand I need to buy the green yellow and blue connector it's just that pins 1-6 on my 20pin connector are already being used. I think they're being used by my speaker outputs cause I don't have a connector for my speakers. My question is what do I do cause I can't insert 5 and 6 into the 20pin connector caused spots 1-6 are taken up already.
You can always reinsert them in another yellow connector....but you have to make sure they are inserted in the exact same location....or it will make it difficult for you to return your car back to stock in the future.

Also...if you already have the preamp harness (the one in the pix with the RCA's and the yellow 6 pin connector)....then all you need to do is purchase the green 6 pin...the blue 8 pin.

Here...let me make it easy for you...here's what you need to order from the audi parts department:

Female 20 pin connector (split into three parts – yellow, green, blue)
- Yellow: Part# 4A0 972 643 (see picture 2j & 2o) - Used for: Pins #1-6 support the line-level output to the amplifier for Bose and none-Bose equipped vehicles.
- Green: Part# 4A0 972 643A (See picture 2f, 2o & 2d) – Used for: (in the Nav+), Pins #7-12 support telephone speaker + and – and some other functions.
- Blue: Part#4A0 972 643B (See picture 2f, 2k, 2o, 4d, 4e & 4f) – Used for: Pins #13-20 support the CD Changer, PhatBox MP3 player, Dension IceLink (for Apple iPod) or BlitzSafe Audio input device.

http://www.navplus.us/forum/viewtopic.php?t=134

See also this link for pix for adding pins (moving purple locking bar) to the one-piece 20 pin connector:
http://forums.audiworld.com/a4gen2/msgs/760955.phtml

Also...if you borrow my pin extraction tools...you can complete this process in under an hour....if you try it with sewing needles...it could be a 4 hour project....trust me...I've done it both ways. Let me know when you are ready to do this...and drop me an email.

-ted

PS: Keep in mind...you will need to code your Nav+ for Bose...if you plan on running an aftermarket amp via the pre-amp connector. See my post on VAG settings.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok I have a question what if I were to buy the connector for speaker outputs. Transfer pins 1-6 (except for the two center pins which are used for the remote wire) into the speaker output connectore I would buy. So that would leave pins1-6 on my 20 pin connecter empty (except for the two pins which are used for the remote wire). So I would leave my stock amp and speakers alone just add a aftermarket amp for my 12" sub in the trunk? Let me know if you understand.

·
Registered
996 Posts
UpInYa said:
Ok I have a question what if I were to buy the connector for speaker outputs. Transfer pins 1-6 (except for the two center pins which are used for the remote wire) into the speaker output connectore I would buy. So that would leave pins1-6 on my 20 pin connecter empty (except for the two pins which are used for the remote wire). So I would leave my stock amp and speakers alone just add a aftermarket amp for my 12" sub in the trunk? Let me know if you understand.
ok...ok...now I understand what you are trying to do. This wasn't stated in your original post. It sounded like you were trying to replace the factory amp with an aftermarket one. Gee...I guess this is an example of what you can expect if you don't state your objective...and details up front. :D

If you are just planning to add an aftermarket amp (just for a subwoofer)...then just add a wire tap to the pin#6 for the remote lead. This will send a signal to the aftermarket amp to turn on/off with you Nav+ headunit. see link for pin outs for 20 pin connector (1-6).
http://www.nav-plus.com/instructions/a4b6.html

Heck, if you can locate the wire color behind your Nav+ in the factory wiring...then you will probably be able to source that same wire near your factory bose amp in the passenger side trunk area. Make sense?

This should be a very easy job. No need to use the wire harness in the pix above.

Good luck!
-ted

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hahaha I thought we were on the same page cause I put an amp and sub. Ok I figured I would tap into the remote wire and just run a wire off that to the new amp for the signal, but what do I do for the RCA's?

·
Registered
996 Posts
...I guess you need to add a few more wire taps to run your amp. I would suggest tapping into the two rear channels by cutting up the preamp adaptor that you purchased. That's three more wires to tap into:

- remote lead
- LR channel positive
- RR channel positive
- audio ground

See link from my last post for specific locations for those wires/pins.

Good luck!
-ted

1 - 14 of 14 Posts