Audi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 2006 S4 with the technology package, and the salesman assured me that it included Bluetooth. I got it home, and there was no Bluetooth installed. After talking to him, he said it was one of the "first" 2006 models that didn't have bluetooth installed on them. He has been giving me the runaround for a while now, saying you can't add Bluetooth that will interface with the display and steering wheel buttons. He is trying to sell me on an aftermarket part that won't interface with either steering wheel or RNS-E. I have read a lot of the posts here, and it sounds like it is not only possible, but also not too hard. Can someone please tell me my options?? THANKS!!

Details:

2006 S4 Quattro
RNS-E
Sirius Radio

·
Registered
258 Posts
its 100% possible, and actually fairly easy to do. the guy is bsing you... the rns-e has been around for at least 5 years (since 2001) and every unit is capable of having a bluetooth module installed. id go raise hell with his supervisor as the technology package is supposed to include bluetooth. good luck.

·
Registered
258 Posts
well in terms of re-wiring... theres around an hour or two of work involved... you need to place the module, connect the wiring harness, install the mikes and then vag the rns-e.... a good and experienced installed may be able to do it in an hour but thats not any reason for him to lie to you...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It doesn't make sense to me--he is going to the trouble of trying t have an different shop install an aftermarket system instead of putting in the OEM module...can you think of any reason his tech guys would tell him they can't do it???

·
Registered
258 Posts
yeah... maybe he took the system that was originally in ur car and did something with it... or maybe hes just dumb or cant get his hands on an audi module... in any case, i would not accept an aftermarket one as it will not be as seamless with ur rns-e... checkout the bluetooth module 8P0 862 335 :D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just talked to him again and he said they can't do it because I have the navigation. He said it wouldn't be a problem if it didn't have nav. Does that make any sense?? Sorry for all the questions, but I really don't know this kind of stuff...

357 Posts
San Diego S4 said:
I just talked to him again and he said they can't do it because I have the navigation. He said it wouldn't be a problem if it didn't have nav. Does that make any sense?? Sorry for all the questions, but I really don't know this kind of stuff...
Suggestion:

Call around to the different dealerships in your area and ask if they can install the bluetooth module into your S4 with navigation and sound package. At least one of them will like say yes, and then ask them to fax you over an invoice listing the parts and labor.

With said invoice, return to your original dealership of sale and show said invoice. Ask them once more if they are technically capable of installing something that should have been included, something that you had been told would be included, and something that you know others say can be included. If they can't do it still, ask that they cover the cost of install at the other dealership.

Stir it up at the dealership and don't take no for an answer, and stop talking to that salesman or any sales people. They usually don't have a clue about the cars they are selling. Talk to a general manager, or head technician, or even the owner of the dealership, or the Audi Area Representative. The salesperson is clearly wasting your time and giving you the runaround.

Good luck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I really have no idea. The Audi salesman said that they would have to re-wire to make the steering wheel controls work, but when I push the buttons, they say "no function". To me, that means they are wired up, but have no Bluetooth module hooked up... He told me to forward him any info that I got off this post, so any specific info on part numbers and/or how to make it work would be greatly appreciated!!

·
Registered
479 Posts
The fact that the SW buttons say no function not only confirm that they are wired up but also suggest that they may already be configured for the pone module. :!:

If the car had been supplied without a BT module the buttons would be configured to cd / mp3 changer functions, like mine.

What is written on the buttons, maybe someone can confirm that you only get phone function logo'd buttons if the BT unit is fitted.

It sounds to me like it did have a BT module originally and the salesman has removed it. - No doubt for some completely legitimate reason - Oh look a flying pig :!:

·
Registered
479 Posts
If you have a hard top Audi I think the Mic is in the centre overhead light unit, if you carefully remove the cover you may find the Mic, or the cable (2pin connector).

If it did have a BT module, all the wiring is likely to still be there, so you would only have to plug in the BT module + BT Aerial and that goes under the righr front seat I beleive.

All the part numbers are listed in one of the quick links on this site.

http://www.navplus.us/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
This is yet another case of an Audi salesman talking complete and utter rubbish!!!

His product knowledge is worse than zero, because what he does know is just plain wrong.

I've retrofitted the Bluetooth phone kit to both a B6 S4 and a B7 RS4 (both with the DVD sat nav) - each time it took just about an hour.

If you are competent with a screwdriver and careful YOU can do it yourself, so a dealership who are SUPPOSED to be the experts on Audis sure can do it!

·
Registered
258 Posts
and that comment the salesman made is complete BS... it is actually much EASIER to install bluetooth to the RNS-E (navi) than any other headunit because it is already setup for phone commands.... please talk to someone else over there who is not bsing you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all the answers guys. I found a guy (NSX JR) who is offering a whole custom kit for $850. Is that about what I should expect? The plan is to take this info to the dealer and have them do it, but I just want to get an idea if that is reasonable.

·
Registered
258 Posts
they know its reasonable... they are just trying to play you... call them up anonymous and tell them that you want to have your car that already has a navi fitted with bluetooth... and then when they say no problem, catch them... id even threaten to speak to the better business bureau or audi usa about their attempts to cheat you

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
No Audi dealer will officially retrofit Bluetooth. You can try to get some money back because BT is not installe din the car even though the sticker says so. And then spend that money on a retrofit kit. But Audi won't install it because Audi USA doesn't want them to do so.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
How hard would it be to install the retrofit kit myself? I am reasonably intelligent, but have never worked on cars. And do you need special software/hardware to reprogram the navi system once the BT is installed?

·
Registered
258 Posts
its not very hard... just a matter of passing wires to the mic in the headliner which could be a bit difficult.. you will, however, need a VAG COM to connect to the car's interface and let the RNS-E know that you have a bluetooth module installed.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts