Audi Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi !

I'm currently playing around with a CAN-Adapter attached to the Infotainment-Can.

Its a bit confusing at the moment as I'm no protocol developer nor did I do anything before with such stuff :)

I'm using CanHacker which works very nice with 100kb/s.

I already know the following ID's and Codes:

ID DLC DATA Function
223 3 00 08 00 BNS-Button
261 8 48 41 43 4b 45 44 21 00 FIS
623 8 01 17 48 20 11 06 20 07 Time/Date

What I'm now trying to do is set the RNS-E to TV Input externally, raise/lower the volume and show me my oiltemp in the FIS.

Does anyone know of a list with possible codes/ids for my purposes or a list of all possible codes ?

Thanks

·
Registered
123 Posts
Would you be able to tell me what you have CANhacket set to? I just received my CANUSB today, installed it, but I can't see anything on it. I select the following:

CAN device: CANUSB LWPMSSR8

Com Baud Rate: grey'd out, no choice

CAN Baudrate: 100 K bits/sec

No matter what I choose, I can't see any info on the screen, I hit connect and nothing happens. I am connected off two pigtails in my wiring harness that will be used at a later date for a MFSW.

I thought all I had to do was to clamp on the bus.....in a parallel connection. I do have a CANgate connector, maybe that's where I need to connect to.

Thanks.

pw

·
Registered
123 Posts
Additionally, the red and green lights on the CANUSB do not light up, are they suppose to? I have only connected the CAN high and CAN low wires, nothing else.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Any USB adapter should get its power from the USB bus, so all you have to connect is CAN high/low. The infotainment bus is well as the Comfort CAN bus is 100kpps, ust connect CAN high/low in the 9 pin connector according to the diagram and you should receive some messages.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I will have to see if I did the complete installation, I found the manual on their site for CANUSB, and it says that the LED's should light up after plugging it into the PC.....there might be one more step.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I got it to start logging.....had the settings on "listen only", once I uncheked that it allowed me to see all the data.

However, I now have data and pretty much no idea what I am looking at! Oh well, let the learning begin.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
With the CAN Hacker software it's easy to "see" things on the bus. In monitor mode, take for example a look at ID 271. That should be the message send from the comfort module to tell all devices the ignition key status. Turn the key and the message should change. Or look at ID 261 which represents the first line in the DIS. To see what happens when you start sending stuff, try to send an 8 byte message 81 12 30 3A 20 41 56 20 every 500ms on ID 602. You will see that you have the TV option enable while you are sending this message. Now, to do som ereal work you have to go into tracer mode and see what messages get send in which order. For example, in monitor mode you reset the RNS-E by pressing RADIO+SETUP until it reboots to see which IDs are related to the RNS-E. You will see that 261/263 and a couple others change when the RNS-E reboots. Now you do the same in tracer mode to see in the order of those messages. To get to the bottom of your DIS issue though you have to compare your traces with those made in a car where the DIS works and then figure out the difference. It's a good task for long, dark winter nights, assuming your garage is heated or you have the cluster and RNS-E on a workbench in the basement.

·
Registered
21 Posts
No Hints?

With the CAN Hacker software it's easy to "see" things on the bus. In monitor mode, take for example a look at ID 271. That should be the message send from the comfort module to tell all devices the ignition key status. Turn the key and the message should change. Or look at ID 261 which represents the first line in the DIS. To see what happens when you start sending stuff, try to send an 8 byte message 81 12 30 3A 20 41 56 20 every 500ms on ID 602. You will see that you have the TV option enable while you are sending this message. Now, to do som ereal work you have to go into tracer mode and see what messages get send in which order. For example, in monitor mode you reset the RNS-E by pressing RADIO+SETUP until it reboots to see which IDs are related to the RNS-E. You will see that 261/263 and a couple others change when the RNS-E reboots. Now you do the same in tracer mode to see in the order of those messages. To get to the bottom of your DIS issue though you have to compare your traces with those made in a car where the DIS works and then figure out the difference. It's a good task for long, dark winter nights, assuming your garage is heated or you have the cluster and RNS-E on a workbench in the basement.
Sounds like you have done this already. No hints?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts