Audi Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just replaced an RNS-D with an RNS-E in a 2003 UK RS6. It mostly works but has various outstanding issues, all of which I think are because I don't have the CAN wired up yet. No signals to the DIS, no illumination when lights are on, doesn't turn on/off with the car, turns itself off after 30 minutes or so, even if I'm driving along.

Anyhow, since the RNS-D I've taken out used CAN beforehand, can't I just connect the CAN-H and CAN-L from the back of the RNS-E to the 26pin connector that came out the back of the RNS-D (which has the CAN-L and CAN-H pins wired in)? I tried it last night, by just holding the cables in place (bare ended wires jammed into the connector itself!), but that didn't seem to work. Is there a reason this won't work or perhaps do I need to do something else as well as connect the wires? The VAG-COM coding for the car seems correct?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
No, you must remove your TMC/CAN gateway box that is located behind the driver's knee panel. There will be a 12-pin connector that you unplug from the TMC box.

You must bridge together the pins from this connector like this:

Pin 2 to Pin 8
Pin 3 to Pin 9

This will allow the CAN signals to pass freely from the cluster to the RNS-E.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
You have to remove the TMC tuner from the CAN bus. IIRC the TMC in the A6 is located unter the steering wheel. Jumper pin 2 to 8 and pin 3 to 9 to get the correct CAN bus extended to the RNS-E.

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
And jumper the two antenna connectors on the TMC. The TMC unit can be removed by removing the cluster and trim under the cluster. Two 8mm bolts hold the TMC unit in place.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Doh, of course... cheers guys. I'd forgotten about the TMC/CAN bus converter unit, despite having fitted one to an S4 when I fitted RNS-D! OK, I'll try that tonight. Cheers.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys! I did this work tonight. It went very smoothly but perhaps partly because I'm reasonably familiar with taking these cars apart now! The RNS-E adapter I got from Kufatec has quite long 'fly' leads off it for the CAN wires, so rather than putting them into 13&26 of the original cable and shorting the TMC end of the cable, I simply fed the fly leads through and joined them directly into pins 2&3 of the TMC connector. Same difference, but seemed easier. Anyhow, all works a treat now, lights up, info on DIS etc.. I don't seem to get SD MP3 track titles on the DIS though. Is that supported? I might have been doing something wrong, I'll try it out on the road tomorrow.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts