Audi Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to solve the interior lighting and battery drain issues with a CAN-BUS emulator. However, I'm wondering if I can still use the Bluetooth phone module just through the simulated CAN-BUS network... and how?

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
The key word being ignition... so it wakes up anything on the canbus.

Erm, yes you can. I have fitted bluetooth to an A6 with a can bus emulator, works just like normal. The emulator sends the neccessary canbus ignition signals to the BT kit to start it up.

I have done this in a car and on my test bench and posted the results here a while back.

Can't say for sure about XM or Sirius, but I would guess it is the same principle.

Craig

·
Registered
300 Posts
Can you post pictures of your current installation, have you trimmed either the unit or the dash to make the unit sit more flush?

Just curious as I am getting readdy to try an RNS-E retrofit to my Passat.

Thanks,

Steve

smash said:
I'm trying to solve the interior lighting and battery drain issues with a CAN-BUS emulator. However, I'm wondering if I can still use the Bluetooth phone module just through the simulated CAN-BUS network... and how?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, as I said, somehow my Nav is draining the battery really badly. Like, if I don't drive the car everyday it won't start the next morning. (it will the first morning though)

I think it has something to do with the VW Monsoon amp setup not going to sleep... even though pins D13 and D16 are disconnected.

We first suspected the Bluetooth phone module was draining it, and put that on Key power; but that wasn't the case!

My options are either putting the nav system on Key power only (which I'm not sure about) or getting a CAN emulator. However, I'd rather lose a battery more often than lose the phone module... so what should I do?

Do I just jump the wires from the can emulator to also the BT module? Is it as simple as a splice?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts