Audi Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I've finally installed the RNS-e in my A6 2002!!!
It looks like a million dollar (even before I have got it perfectly in..) The single-din to double din was a pain, but worth it!

I have some problems, probably with the can-bus or the vag-com coding though.

I DON'T HAVE LIGHTS IN THE UNIT! And it tuns off after 30 min.

(yes, I've used the search button, and I've read the million other posts in here regarding this. But I can't get it right either way...

Yesterday, it had lights in the buttons for 1 second, but just disappeared again...

The unit should have been coded for my car, I checked in "engeineering mode" It says 51323, and to my knowledge all this is right exept the cd-changer.

I have no telephone, no Bose, no changer and does not have the FIS either. All my cluster has is outside temperature and "auto-check".

I haven't tried to code the cluster yet, but will meet a fellow AUDI'er on friday to do this, and also fix the GALA wire (the old chorus cassette player did actually have the GALA wire, but the P&play wiring harness had this in the wrong PIN. :?

Now, eh... I see the code... Suddenly... Doesn't the 51323 mean it is a A4 Cab...? Maybe this is the problem...? :oops:
Is the coding wrong after all... (dam* you, Lithuanian guy....)

Can someone confirm this would be right after VAG-ing the car on Friday?

I'll go drive this weekend to se my wife's relatives, and of course I want this to be perfect then... :)

[/b]

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
kristoffer said:
[I DON'T HAVE LIGHTS IN THE UNIT! And it tuns off after 30 min.

The unit should have been coded for my car, I checked in "engeineering mode" It says 51323, and to my knowledge all this is right exept the cd-changer.

I have no telephone, no Bose, no changer and does not have the FIS either. All my cluster has is outside temperature and "auto-check".

I haven't tried to code the cluster yet, but will meet a fellow AUDI'er on friday to do this, and also fix the GALA wire (the old chorus cassette player did actually have the GALA wire, but the P&play wiring harness had this in the wrong PIN. :?

Now, eh... I see the code... Suddenly... Doesn't the 51323 mean it is a A4 Cab...? Maybe this is the problem...? :oops:
Is the coding wrong after all... (dam* you, Lithuanian guy....)

Can someone confirm this would be right after VAG-ing the car on Friday?

I'll go drive this weekend to se my wife's relatives, and of course I want this to be perfect then... :)
The coding should have 6 DIGITS - so your coding of 51323 is incomplete and quite incorrect for your car.

I think it should be 502111

5 = A6
0 = diagnostics on front speakers active
2 = A6 sound characteristics
1 = no telephone
1 = no SAT radio
1 = no CD changer, TV tuner or MFSW

Change the coding to that, press RADIO & SETUP to reboot the unit and test again.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hmmmm... :?

Maybe I remembered wrong? was it 501323? Either way, it is wrong...

Do you think this is why I cannot get lights in it? :oops:

I will have access to vag-com tomorrow, I'll try the coding then...

Anyone know how the cluster will work, or not?
(Since I don't have trip computer...)

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
kristoffer said:
Do you think this is why I cannot get lights in it? :oops:
Get the coding correct, and if the lights still don't work then you have a problem with the CAN wires (maybe swapped over CAN-H / CAN-L, or maybe not a good connection).

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, will recode tomorrow... I've checked the coding, it was 052313.

You check it in engineer meny, right? General - coding...?

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
kristoffer said:
OK, will recode tomorrow... I've checked the coding, it was 052313.
Completely wrong, should be 502111, not 052313

kristoffer said:
You check it in engineer menu, right? General - coding...?
Either in the Engineering Mode like that or, since you know you are going to have to change it, just use VAG-COM to check and change it.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well...

I discovered the k-line was not connected... Didn't get connection with VAG-COM, and checked the k-line...
Now I've coded the unit, and something else is quite peculiar.

The lights will turn on in 2 out of 10 start-ups... Those times it also put the map into "night" mode, so this is probably right. It turns itself off when ignition is off the same times (2 out of 10...)
But why doesn't it do this every time? I haven't had time to connect the GALA yet, but can this be it? Since it works 2 out of 10?

And if I wanted to try to exchange the CAN H and L, how do I do this? The wire is connected in the P&P adapter...

Regards, Kristoffer

(I'm Norwegian, therefore the crappy English... :lol: )

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
2 out of 10 would indicate to me that CAN is connected properly byt there is a lot of noise on the bus. You should read the logged faults and/or check the CAN wires (should be twisted in a certain way).

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Also possible that the CAN is only a convenience CAN and not the INFOTAINMENT CAN.

What colour are your can wires?

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They are orange, one with a black line I think...

Another thing witch points against the info/convenience CAN thing, I wasn't able to access the instrument cluster channel #62. I'm sure I have read about something there, the "low-line" instrument missing somekind of CAN... Could this be the problem?

It did find cannel #61, but I have no idea what this is...

Just checked in the car, It looks like the CAN wires is connected correctly. :shock:

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Or this...?

Last week, I found this...

Don't have vag-com, so cannot tell if its still there...

Address 17: Instruments
Part No: 4B0 920 900 Q
Component: KOMBI+WEGFAHRS. M73 D04
Coding: 00040
Shop #: WSC 00000

1 Fault Found:
01336 - Data Bus for Comfort System
37-10 - Faulty - Intermittent

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
That's definitely the wrong bus. CAN Infotainment is orange/lilac.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
hmmm... but the chorus radio did work, doesn't it use the same can-bus?

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Orange/lilac & orange/brown is the convenience or infotainment can unfortunately, but it does sound like you have lowline cluster and you can wires are connected to the green connector. In which case there is no way around the problems, you have to use a CAN Emulator.

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
kristoffer said:
hmmm... but the chorus radio did work, doesn't it use the same can-bus?
Chorus/concert/symphony can work off the convenience bus, the RNS-E cannopt

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've found this in another forum, for those of you witch are steady in German.. :p

"Bei Kombiinstrument ohne FIS ist der Stecker 32 fach grau nicht vorhanden, somit steht
auch der Anpasskanal 62 mit Display /Infotainment CAN nicht zur Verfügung.
In diesem Fall wird das RADIO am Komfort CAN angemeldet/codiert.
Welche Codierung steht bei Dir im Anpasskanal 61 CAN Komfort ?
Wert 4352 für Kombiinstrument und Radio eingeben, vielleicht stehen dann Deinem RNS-E die fehlenden Signale/Funktionen zur Verfügung...halt ausprobieren.
(Ein CAN Emulator macht eigentlich auch nix anderes als Bereitstellung von CAN Signalen) "

Eh... What I can make of it, is that PIN 61 in the cluster can be used as CAN signal? For those that is missing the convenience CAN...?

Here it is translated (altavista...)

"With combination instrument without FIS the plug 32 subject is grey missing, thus stands also the adjustment channel 62 with display /Infotainment CAN not for the order. In this case the RADIO at the comfort CAN is announced. Which coding stands with you in the adjustment channel 61 CAN comfort? Worth 4352 for combination instrument and radio enters, perhaps is then the missing signal/functions to your RNS e at the disposal... stop tries out. (a CAN emulator makes actually also nix other one than supply of CAN signals"

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Anyone?

Someone who can confirm this?

Someone here in Norway also has discovered you don't have to take the GALA from the cluster!!!
You could take it from the wiper relais under the steering wheel... I'm awaiting more information, but will prob. take some pictures...
I'm not very happy to mess around with the cluster wires, I think the wiper wires sounds a lot better....

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
************UPDATE************

Bought an CAN-BUS adapter, but still cannot get this working. Don't know if the adapter is connected correctly though...

The navi is VAG-COM'ed and I don't know what to do to make this work...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.