Audi Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
full display on the RNS-E screen similiar to how the new A6 and A8 setup works? In other words, essentially replicate what you see on the iPod screen on the NAV screen? BTW, I have an RNS-E w/CD changer and Satellite.

If not, then any iPod integration would need to have the iPod accessible to you and not stuck in the glove box the way the Dennison 400 works. Same thing with the Dice unit although I think the intention there is to have a cable or have the iPod mounted outside the glove box.

I have done a few searches on this forum but I am still not clear on what the best approach to fully integrate (as fully as possible) an iPod into a B6 Cab with RNS-E, OEM CD Changer, Satellite, Bluetooth. Any photos of completed installations showing what if anything gets diplayed on the RNS-E screen, and costs would be helpful and appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
155 Posts
The only things I've seen are:
a) PROXUS' hopeful offerings of an iPod adapter like this
b) the "CarPC" project.

One idea you could try in the meantime is retrofitting an "AppleTV" box into the car using a video hookup. It comes with a remote and built-in 40GB hard drive. It syncs wirelessly with iTunes so if you pull into your driveway and there's WiFi signals reaching.. it'll pick that up automatically.

http://www.apple.com/appletv/

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks smash. Yes, PROXUS' preview of his hopeful upcoming product is exactly the kind of thing that I was asking about in this post and that apparently many others have been hoping for.

Teddy, have you bought any stock yet? ;)

·
Registered
131 Posts
smash said:
The only things I've seen are:
One idea you could try in the meantime is retrofitting an "AppleTV" box into the car using a video hookup. It comes with a remote and built-in 40GB hard drive. It syncs wirelessly with iTunes so if you pull into your driveway and there's WiFi signals reaching.. it'll pick that up automatically.

http://www.apple.com/appletv/

This is would be awesome. I have all my music in iTunes. With this solution Iwould be able to sync with my iMac.
Are there any solution for that yet?

Mütze

·
Registered
155 Posts
I would imagine you'd need:
+ AppleTV w/ Remote
+ Component Video -> RGB adapter (Dietz?)
+ Video-in-motion hack
+ Some sort of power adapter... battery drain? It might have to be turned on all of the time to get it to sync

The pieces don't really fit together very well right now.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Plus the power adapter is built into the unit: (all the way to the left)

So, that presents the problem of dissecting the unit to find a direct power-source rather than amplifying 12V of the car up to 110/220... then back to maybe like 6V.

In theory, the controls of the remote control could be mapped to that of the RNS-Es via the CAN-BUS.... or you could use an infrared extender to hide the box somewhere else and use Apple's remote control to sort through your songs.

At that point, it seems like you mine as well just control the ipod itself. :(

·
Registered
155 Posts
What I wish is that the USB plug in the back would load from the iPod, but apparently that port is only used for service/updates.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I guess if we open an AppleTV, we are able to avoid the poweradapter and provide 12 V or wathever is needed direct from the car. We can put a timer in, to let ist just sync a hour or so.
The only problem i see at the moment is video output. W need an adapter from either HDMI or Component Video -> RGB.
Video in Motion you need anyway. I can use a switch, because my RNS-E is codet as a A6.

Until later

Mütze

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Component video is not common in Europe and I suppose if there is ever a European version it will have FBAS or RGB video (as used in SCART) Then all you need is a normal AV adapter (for FBAS) or something like the CANGate (to enable the TV in and directly use the RGB video from the box).

·
Registered
131 Posts
The European Version of Apple TV has Component Video as well.
Here a quote from apple.de :
Anschlüsse und Schnittstellen
HDMI (Video und Audio)
Komponentenvideo
Optischer Audioanschluss
Analoger Stereoanschluss (Cinch)
10/100BASE-T Ethernet-Anschluss
USB 2.0
802.11n Funktechnologie
Integrierter IR-Empfänger (funktioniert mit der mitgelieferten Apple Remote Fernbedienung)
So we need somtething witch a component video to RGB transfers. May be it is more easy to put a Macmini in to the car. Here we could use RGB or FBAS from VGA. But it would be even bigger. But it has also Bluetooth ...

Mütze

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
I'm working on AppleTV setup for one of my clients.
It does not seem to be that complicated because AppleTV is powered by 48Watts adapter. It shouldn't be a big problem to find a good solution for 12V source.

For video you can always use component to RGB cable conversion.

Either way this is not plug and play. You need to cut and rewire a lot of cables (at least for now).

Also video format limitation to MPG4 and H.264 is not a selling point for me :D

·
Registered
131 Posts
PROXUS said:
Also video format limitation to MPG4 and H.264 is not a selling point for me :D
This should not be a problem at the size of the RNS-E display.

How are you gonne transfer the component video to RGB?

Mütze

·
Registered
131 Posts
At hama.de LINK I found a divice wich converts componentvideo YUV to RGB. Here the discription:

00042513 Video Converter 2-3

Highlights

- Signal converter and performance amplifier with 2 inputs and 3 outputs
- For high-class wiring of home cinema devices with different connectors and signals, e.g. SAT reiceiver & game console to TV, beamer and DVD recorder
- Input signal can be selected , either YUV or RGB (manually switchable)
- Automatic synchron pulse level matching for VGA and RGBHV output
- Scart output with own output amplifier
- 2 output amplifiers for RGBHV output via RCA (phono) or 15-pin HDD
- Audio switch for analogue audio signals
- 2 audio outputs (Scart and RCA phono)
- Optimal final stages for highest resolution also in case of long cables
- Compatible with devices with Progressive-Scan function and 15 pin. HDD input (RGBHV)
- 4:3 and 16:9 compatible
- Operating mode display for StandBy and auto power on
- Supports PAL and NTSC, without standards converter,
- Incl. Plug-in mains power supply 12V/800 mA
- CE

Technical Description:
1. Function
YUV (RCA Phono in) to RGB + Sync (Scart out)
- YUV (RCA Phono in) to RGBHV (5 x RCA (Phono) out)
- YUV (RCA Phono in) to RGBHV (15-pin HDD)
- RGB (Scart in) to RGBHV (5 x RCA Phono out)
- RGB (Scart in) to RGBHV (15-pin HDD)

Notice: Not suitable for the connection of computer monitors as there is no standard transformation in VGA.

2. Level matching (TTL level with automatic
synchronisation at level output
3. Final stage: >= 13,5 MHz/-3dB
4. Progressive scan compatibility : 480p; 575p
Cant we just connect this signal then with a mutimediainterfaceadapter?

Mütze

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.