Audi Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay Proxus, Dirk, et. al., I installed my bluetooth module 'G" today, and I get everything coded... but when I press TEL on my RNS-E I get this screen instead of the typical telephone menu I expected...

This is obviously a "voice commands" menu for the telephone system, as if my RNS-E is telling me that it is ready to go into SDS mode. It's cool, but I don't have the other telephone menus with missed calls, phonebook, or make/end call buttons. I also do not get the BT icon or signal strength meter at the bottom of the screen.

The good thing is that with my MFSW, I can scroll through my contacts by pressing the R/T button.. then using the up/down arrows on the steering wheel. To make a call, I can simply press the telephone icon button to send and end the calls.

Also, the contacts display in the DIS alternate between the contact name and contact phone number every few seconds which is kind of neat as well.

So, my question is... is this all I get? I know everything is connected properly because I do get to make calls with my steering wheel buttons, and I do get the sound, and my microphone works properly... and obviously my DIS works properly as well. My tel mute functions perfectly (even pauses the mp3 card... nice touch!!)

Also, the "BT lady" announces very properly when she is dialing the number for me... another nice touch.

So....

-Is this because I have the "G" module?
-Is this because my RNS-E firmware perhaps is not flashed correctly?
-Is this because I have coded something strangely?

My unit is a 4B0 035 192P flashed to US 0110
RNS coding: 0509635 (will not accept 0509235)
TEL coding: 0011877

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
AFAIK if you press the phone button on your MFSW you activate voice dialing on the phone interface. If you press the TEL button on the RNS-E you get into the phone menu with calls received etc. Did you try not to press the button on your MFSW and just use the RNS-E?

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, this is all I get on the RNS-E.

To summarize:

Press "TEL" on the RNS:E = Voice commands menu (with no functionality) (no change in DIS)

Press "R/T" on MFSW = contacts displayed in DIS (no change on RNS-E screen)

Press "phone icon" on MFSW = TEL voice commands ("SPEAK" in DIS, no change in RNS-E screen... unless you say "HELP")

Press "phone icon" on MFSW after pressing "R/T" = calls contact displayed in DIS (no change in RNS-E screen)

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Strange. I wonder if the "G" phone interface must be used with a "J" RNS-E to get what is expected. Maybe a "G" interface with a E/F RNS-E (or a flashed Euro RNS-E) doesn't work together.

I haven't installed mine yet but my flashed "C" unit as well as my "E" unit worked fine with my "B" BT FSE during bench testing.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
recode your module to 0010777 and try again ;)

I had this voice command screen once when I was playing with coding. Don't remember what exact code was.

·
Registered
128 Posts
So is there a possiblity that the newer bluetooth modules might not be compatable with the E/F navigation units, that would be horrible. I am planning to do my install next weekend.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Just to confirm.. I just finished installations in Thomas's S4 (I forgot his nick) and I installed whole bluetooth package including G unit coded 0010777. His nav isEU converted to US with software 0110. Everything works sweet.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Proxus,
To confirm my setup... I have tried the following codings on my TEL Module "G"...

They all produce the same result on the RNS-E screen... the voice commands list only when pressing the "TEL" button

My RNS-E is coded 0509635 for US Telematics.

The steering wheel controls work great... I can scroll through contacts on my DIS, make and end calls, even complete the tel module voice commands for voice dialing (after recoding the MFSW control unit to activate this button).

I'm stumped... but I'm glad to hear you got it working in Thomas's S4, that gives me hope.

-Is Thomas's S4 a B5 or B6?
-Did you change any adaptation settings on the BT module? I changed channel 129 to a value of "0" from "6". I thought it strange at the time that "6" is not a valid adaptation value for that channel according to the list...
000 - 30 seconds
001 - 5 Minutes
002 - 10 Minutes
240 - 20 Hours

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
He got B6 S4.

I coded only main code to 0010777. Nothing else was changed.
Do you have K-Line connected?

If you can pair your phone with TEL interface then box itself is fine. The problem will be probably in coding or software.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yep, i've got the K-line connected and I have changed the coding fine. My phone pairs beautifully and everything works...except the functions on the RNS-E telephone menu. Strange.

I'm wondering if this could have something to do with the 4B0 units or the coding of an RNS-E to be in the A6. I'll be interested to hear of anyone else who has the "G" BT FSE installed with the 4B0 RNS-E.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
GOOD NEWS... It was my software.

For some reason, my 0370 software update did not go as planned, and it never fully installed. I decided to try simply changing the 0370 to 0380 in the index.txt file and try again... and it worked! Of course, now I am at version 0380... but no biggie.

HU/Navi SW version V220057B
Boot Version V220100D
Audio SW version A2220132-110505

Thanks all for the help... I tried every different coding possible and nothing was working. I thought the software had to be the problem and it was...

Now I just have that silly messed up clock on the bottom of my screen! At least it is right about 20% of the time

I couldn't be happier with this BT module... it rocks! Even better with the MFSW because you can store voice tags and do voice dialing just by pressing the phone button! More about that in another post though...

·
Registered
737 Posts
Lee,

Could you post some pictures of the MFSW? I'd like to see what kind of "future upgrades" I'll be doing in my new B6 S4!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts