Audi Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, sorry if it's a redundant question. But I've not found a specific answer to my question searching in the forum/topics; so I explain my question to all the Forum GURUs with the hope to have an exaustive answer.

Good, I have a Passat Variant B5.5 and I whish to install an AUDI RNS-E navigation system.

My question is, if I connect the following wires(signals), are they sufficient for the RNS-E to works properly in my car ?

- Power Supply
- Ground signal
- 8 wires for the speakers (4[+/- and L&R] front and 4 rear[+/- and L&R])
- FM antenna
- GPS antenna
- GALA signal
- K line for VAG-COM
- Lights ON wire (indicates when headlighs are on)
- Switched Power supply (drived by ignition key-switch)

... and MOST IMPORTANT I DON'T connect CAN-BUS signals because I'm not sure where I can find them on my car (on the dash board I suppose but I'm not sure)

Can someone help me ? Or geve to me some other important informations ?

Thanks a lot,
Enrico.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
You don't need lights and ignition (there are no pins for those signals on the RNS-E anyway) but you need a CAN signal to keep the RNS-E powered on. Search for R32, there's one guy who's running the RNS-E in his Golf. Try to get a wiring plan for your Passat and find the CAN Infotainment behind the cluster. With some luck the messages are compatible and the RNS-E will work with those CAN messages in your Passat.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a lot!

I'll search this article. With your words seem to be the CAN-BUS the focal poit of the question. So will be another question: will work the RNS-E without CAN signals ?

Enrico.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
enry68 said:
So will be another question: will work the RNS-E without CAN signals ?
No. Without CAN it will power off after 30 minutes, doesn't detect if the lights are switched on and doesn't detect that you are moving (unless you code it for a A6 and connect a speed signal of some kind). But you could get a CAN Adapter that creates CAN messages out of discrete signals for ignition, light and speed.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is very interesting for me ...

I know that my instrument cluster is also a CAN-BUS gateway. I soppose that in my back cluster connector are present the wires that drives these informations. The problem is: is the vw can-bus compatible with the audi can-bus ?
I know also that every device connected to the can has a proprietary address (ID). The lighs/speed/ignition informations that are carried out by can-bus are sent directily to the address of the navi (...if the navi has a proprietary address) or are sent in a broadcast mode ?

Anybody knows if these informations are available somewhere ?

I'm very interested to connect and install an RNS-E naviplus on my Passat!

Enrico.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Hi, I'm the guy running it in his VW Golf R32.

You should be able to simply hook the radio up as long as the connector matches, and everything should be fine. You will need to rewire the alarm and speakers, though, at some point.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Smash.

So You have not connected the CAN-BUS wires ???

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have also seen on e-bay that exists some converter that converts some signals of the car like GALA, ignition ON , lights into CAN-BAS protocol for AUDI navigation unit. In this way is possible to connect the RNS audi navigation plus not only on AUDI and VW (with adaption) but also in any kind of car ....

May be usefull for me for my passat ...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts