Audi Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I noticed that while my GALA signal was switched off, my position actually updates fine as long as I am getting 4+ satellites. Anyone else notice this? Obviously this is for B5/C5 with GALA wire, but I wonder if anyone in the B6 crowd has also noticed this with the 1280 switched on?

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
I noticed that in my B6 as well, using Bjarne's CANGate to filter out the speed message. It takes a couple of miles under clear sky for the RNS-E to adjust to the missing speed signal but then it works quite well - except if you in a city like Chicago. Any underpass, parking garage or even driving between high risers where you get less than 3 satellites will make the RNS-E go crazy. And turning the speed signal on and off makes it even worse.

For example, I'm parking on the 6th floor of an underground parking garage. To get in our out I'm doing 6x 360 degree circles without any sat. Leaving the garage it took about 10 minutes for my RNS-E to know where I am (without speed signal and under dash GPS), using the under dash with speed signal it still took a couple blocks. With speed signal and the OEM GPS on the roof, as soon as I'm on block away my RNS-E knows where it is (even with only 2 satellites) and is pretty accurate.

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
I could occasionally navigate on the RS6 with TV in mtion enabled.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
until I recoded my unit I drove with something simmilar to 1280. For some time I could switch to one position and navigate and watch DVD, but it was interrupted after few days.

I think Dirk is right, .....you are fine until signal need to recover from less than 3 satellites.

Finally I removed my module and unlocked my unit for Video-in-motion.

·
Registered
515 Posts
sometimes mine will update just fine with out speed signal (B6 = 1280)..

but others it doesnt move AT ALL for more than 20-30mins.. it is just stuck until i flip the switch.. then it will immediately update position, but takes a bit to get the orientation figured out..

·
Registered
996 Posts
mine doesn't update as much with gala switched off in my C5. When I can pull out my rnse, I'm going to have the TV thing recoded by Proxus as part of his service offering. Less wiring to deal with and much cleaner.

Plus, it's football (not soccer) season in the US, and I like to watch games in my car while I drive and/or tailgate. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts