Audi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen many posts about the operation of the BT tel module with the RNS-E, but I don't recall seeing anything specifically about the voice recognition operations and other MFSW controls. This information will be included in the next version of the RNS-E installation guide (Section 4) available on my website in the coming weeks. Here's my summary.

Prerequisite: Multifunction steering wheel, coded for radio, telephone, and voice recognition operation.

The Basics

-Press the
button to display your telephone contacts list in the DIS. Scroll through the contacts with the
and
buttons on the steering wheel. The contact information will alternate between the contact name and the contact phone number every few seconds. If you have multiple numbers for one contact, they will be listed as a separate entry that you can scroll to. For this reason, it is helpful to wait until the actual contact phone number is displayed to verify it is the right number you wish to dial (mobile, home, work, etc.)

-Press the
button to dial the contact currently shown in the DIS.

The contact's name will be displayed in the DIS while the call is active.

-Press the
button to end the current phone call.

None of these button presses actually changes the display on the RNS-E screen unless you say "Help" while the voice commands menu is active. This will change the RNS-E screen to show a list of Telephone SDS commands that are possible. The BT lady will speak this list of possible commands to you as they are displayed on the screen.

At any time during the steering wheel activated phone call, you may press the "TEL" button on the RNS-E to enter more numbers (e.g., voicemail PIN, etc.)

Voice Recognition Operation

-Press the
button to activate voice commands. "SPEAK" is displayed in the DIS.

edit: my DIS no longer displays this message and I do not know why.

Once in the voice recognition mode, you may dial numbers by speaking the digits, redial the previous number, or voice dial contacts stored in the car's phonebook. This phonebook is specific to the car, and are stored in the BT module's memory. You can store numbers in the phonebook by voice and then recall them later to voice dial.

-To dial number by digits, speak "Dial Number", then speak each digit. The BT lady will repeat them back to you. If correct, speak "dial". The BT lady will confirm by saying "the number is being dialed".

-To redial the previous number, speak "Redial". The BT lady will confirm by saying "the number is being dialed".

-To store a number for voice dialing, speak "Store Name". The BT lady will guide you through the correct actions. You speak the name twice then speak the digits to be stored. This is very similar to the older cell phone voice dialing tags that you had to manually store. If successful, the voice tag will be saved to the BT module phonebook.

-To hear your phonebook, speak "Phonebook". The phonebook name entries will be played in sequence to remind you what you have stored.

-To voice dial an entry in your BT module phonebook, speak "Name". The BT lady will confirm by saying "Say the Name". Speak the name exactly as you have stored it in your BT phonebook. The BT module will repeat the entry for confirmation. Speak "Dial" and the BT lady will confirm by saying "the number is being dialed".

Other Notes

-At any time during a call, the
button may be pressed to end the call, no matter how it was originated (steering wheel, voice, or RNS-E entry).

-The contact name for the aactive phone call is displayed in the DIS if that number is stored in your phone's contact list, no matter how the call was originated (steering wheel, RNS-E buttons, or received call).

-If you have an entry in your phone's contact list for your voicemail number that includes pause characters and PIN, these will be dialed correctly if the call is originated using the steering wheel buttons (R/T, up/down scroll, phone icon).

·
Registered
737 Posts
Could you show some pictures of the different MFSW's available?

The car I'm currently thinking about buying has a MFSW, but it has just your basic: VOL+/- PRESET +/- SEEK+/-

Also since having this basic MFSW already is this a good starting point to add the voice recognition?

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm pretty sure you can VAG your steering wheel so that the "<" and">" buttons on the bottom will behave like the "R/T" and "phone icon" buttons. I don't have a B6 bentley manual to verify this... but it works for the B5/C5 steering wheels. (We do use a different controller than the B6, that's why I can't say for sure.)

·
Registered
55 Posts
So this is interesting. Let me see if I understand this correctly...I currently have an '04 S4 with the four-spoke multi-function steering wheel (vol +/-, track +/-, disk +/-) and a US RNS-E running the latest firmware. I'd been planning to add Bluetooth to it sometime this spring. It sounds like I can also get voice command for BT working initiated from my steering wheel? If so, this is a no-brainer for me!!!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Yes You can add telefone support with the MFSW. You just have to recode the wheel. To do that just logg into STG 16 (Steeringelectronics) and change the last number.

0xxx?:
1 - Radio- and Telefon
2 - Radio
3 - Radio-/Telefon and Speech

Mütze

·
Registered
737 Posts
DAMN! I can't wait to get my 2005 S4 with the 4 spoke MFSW!!! This will make a nice feature that I can't wait to install.

Now, does anyone have some specifics on the install of the OEM Bluetooth kit in a 2005 B6 S4?

·
Registered
131 Posts
The installation is in every Audi nearly the same. Just use the search button und you will find lots of informations in this Forum.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
todd1010 said:
DAMN! I can't wait to get my 2005 S4 with the 4 spoke MFSW!!! This will make a nice feature that I can't wait to install.

Now, does anyone have some specifics on the install of the OEM Bluetooth kit in a 2005 B6 S4?
Todd, when you get ready, we'll be glad to help you out with the BT install. Proxus has a pretty good install thread in his B6 if you want to go the glovebox route.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I noticed that you have MFSW buttons that include the correct graphics for the phone integration for sale on your Web site:

http://www.nsxjr.com/MFSWbuttons.html

Will those work on the four-spoke MFSW on my '04 S4? They look pretty much just like the buttons on my current wheel other than the images. While it's obviously all cosmetic, I'd prefer it if the buttons actually indicated what they're doing after I finish the BT install.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No, these buttons will not work on B6 or late C5 steering wheels. Audi changed the wiiring inside the steering wheels for 2002+.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Okay. Thanks for the quick reply. Saves me $100! Or maybe costs me more than that if I decide to start looking into a B7 MFSW retrofit...

So I think I've asked this before, though my memory is failing me...what do you project the total costs or a BT retrofit to be given that I already have a US RNS-E?

Also, I'm still confused as to how to add a mic when I don't already have one. Where does it mount? Is there something "OEM" that I add, or if not, does it look really out of place?

Sorry if these questions are already answered somewhere. Haven't seen the answers myself so I don't know...

·
Registered
117 Posts
I've bought a BT interface kit from Craig and was wondering, will I have to recode my MFSW via VAG to activate voice recognition?

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Most likely yes. Unless you had an older telephone module already installed in your car that you replaced with the bluetooth module.

·
Registered
117 Posts
NSX JR said:
Most likely yes. Unless you had an older telephone module already installed in your car that you replaced with the bluetooth module.
Don't have any telephone module installed, never had one in my car.

So, I'll have to code the steering wheel and the RNS-E.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
...and instrument cluster and telephone module...

..making that vag-com cable seem more and more useful...

·
Registered
117 Posts
NSX JR said:
...and instrument cluster and telephone module...
What's the function (VAG) for the instrument cluster?

Craig will have coded my telefphone module.

·
Registered
117 Posts
NSX JR said:
To enable the telephone information in the DIS.
Hmm, I know that, what I wanted to know is what menu (VAG menu) do I have to enter and change?

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
To activate the phone text in the DIS

-choose control module
- 17 - Instruments
- Adaptation - 10
- Channel = 62

Use existing number +2

For example, if channel 62 is currently "5" then your new code would be "7".

1 - 20 of 59 Posts