Audi Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well everything's working fine, but quite a few people have mentioned lately that my phone sounds like shit. I told them that I've been on a hands free kit lately is why, but most of you guys have mentioned that when you have spoke to other people they didn't realize you were on a handsfree kit.

What do I need to do to get mine like that? I turned up the microphone sensitivity (Channel 131) to +3dB and that's it. When speaking to people I can hear them fine and it doesn't seem that I need to talk loud for them to hear me. It's just that they say it doesn't sound very good.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Not sure if that makes a difference but people on forums in Germany have confirmed that the shielding of the microphone wire is quite important. If the wire is not or wrong shielded it will sound like crap. Less but still important is proper shielding of the NF wires between the BT interface and the head unit. Poor quality wires could cause a lot of signal loss I guess.

Although the BT stack in my Treo is not the best and reception sucks most of the time, people have told me that they didn't know I was in the car when they talked to me. But I'm using the OEM OnStar wiring/microphone for my BT interface.

Maybe a quick survey makes sense where everybody says how their sound quality is where they sources the harness from?

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My BT wiring harness came from Kufatec and I'm using a microphone from my old 2000 B5 S4. It's got a different part number than the ones that most people are using because it came from a B5. It plugged right in with no modifications. I put the microphone in the stock location in the dome light trim area.

My car didn't come with Telematics or OnStar. But I did notice when installing the mic in the dome light area that it seemed to have some kind of microphone (possibly?) in the area that angles towards the sunroof. I didn't unplug anything because I wasn't sure what it was. Can someone inform me as to what this could be?

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
The other microphone is for the Bose AudioPilot (if you have Bose). And that's a complete different microphone as far as I know.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I have Bose. I thought it might be something like that after doing some reading, but I didn't realize that Audiopilot was on my car. I thought it you had to order you car with it?

I'm still learning about this car so bare with me.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I am also using my old microphone from my 2001 A6 and it sounds perfect. Perhaps your wiring is fouled up somewhere.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Bose came since late 2003 with the AudiPilot that replaced GALA. Did you try to swap the mic+/mic- wires just to see if this makes any difference?

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
AudiA4B6US said:
Bose came since late 2003 with the AudiPilot that replaced GALA. Did you try to swap the mic+/mic- wires just to see if this makes any difference?

No because the harness only fit in one direction.

Do you think it might have something to do with this Audiopilot TSB? Here's the link:

http://b6s4.com/tsb/audi.tb.91-04-17.pdf

I don't think they are related because this Audiopilot has to do with the volume of the sound I'm hearing, but I thought I'd ask.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
NSX JR said:
I am also using my old microphone from my 2001 A6 and it sounds perfect. Perhaps your wiring is fouled up somewhere.

Well when I'm sitting in the car (not driving) people say I sound fine. I know that road & engine noise will play a added factor thru the microphone.

I'm going to try and do a test today and let someone drive my car and call me, so I can hear what it sounds like.

Let me ask you this, does changing the Base volume with the VAG only change the volume your hearing? Kinda like turning up the volume on the RNS-E?

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
todd1010 said:
NSX JR said:

Well when I'm sitting in the car (not driving) people say I sound fine. I know that road & engine noise will play a added factor thru the microphone.

I'm going to try and do a test today and let someone drive my car and call me, so I can hear what it sounds like.

Let me ask you this, does changing the Base volume with the VAG only change the volume your hearing? Kinda like turning up the volume on the RNS-E?

I'm not sure. Mine sounds perfect when driving or not driving, I have never had to fiddle with any adaptation settings to fine tune it.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Now mine "sounds" fine/perfect to me in my car. I hear the person I'm speaking to very well. My end sounds perfect.

What people have been saying is that I sound like I'm in a tunnel, far away or it echoes to them on their phone.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
todd1010 said:
Now mine "sounds" fine/perfect to me in my car. I hear the person I'm speaking to very well. My end sounds perfect.

What people have been saying is that I sound like I'm in a tunnel, far away or it echoes to them on their phone.
That is what I was referring to... the people on the other end of my calls say it sounds perfect whether I am driving or not. You should not sound like you are in a tunnel at all.

I'm sure some of this has to do with the quality of the phone... have you tried a different phone to see if it sounds the same?

·
Registered
996 Posts
todd,
you can also buy a small piece of dynamat to line inside your roof/headliner to reduce road noise to the mic. I'm doing this for my BT mic install etc later next week.

In fact, I just bought the extreme kit for $150 to do all 4 doors, and rear hatch of my C5 Avant. I've heard that this stuff can reduce a lot of excess road/wind noise.

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductList.aspx?CategoryID=50&ManufacturerID=648

I also wonder if you can tweak some of the vag settings for your mic. Not sure.

-ted

·
Registered
36 Posts
todd, if you can't find someone right away to drive your car for you and use your bluetooth, just leave a message on your work voicemail or home answering machine to get an idea of what other people are hearing. Maybe sing your favorite song ... :D I've had this trouble with my Parrot bluetooth, now I don't even use it because my friends laugh at how "windtunnely" I sound. You might also want to try putting some kind of shroud around the microphone, kind of like what recording artists do when they record a song so the mic doesn't pick up breathing sounds. It helped me a little.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts