Audi Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys - thanks for the great info on this board - much appreciated

I've got two niggling issues.
1. The volume of the BT mic appears to low as at speed, the BT lady struggles to understand me (not a problem when stationery) and everyone says I'm a little "far away". By changing the adaptation to +3db hasn't improved matters - do I need to jack it up further??

2. when accessing the voice functionality, I get a "No Function" message on the FIS and the "Speak" appears. Any way to get rid of the "no function" appearing??

Many thanks. BTW, my install was on a A4B7 with Concert II and "H" BT module.

Thanks all

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hi, I'm no expert on BT, but maybe a couple of thoughts?

Might help the guru's if you posted the soft codings you have for BT and cluster. Where have you placed the mic? Does it have shielded cable? There are some reports on the forum that you need the Audi microphone, cheaper substitutes sound exactly that - cheaper.

I was told I "sounded better" when I used the cradle and external antenna and amplifier, but you need an antique BT phone for that.

Bob

·
Registered
112 Posts
There's an English saying about a little knowledge being a dangerous thing. I really must tread more carefully - think first, then type!.

If only I'd known NSX-JR was the supplier! Obviously a quality bit of kit, which is exactly what I would have expected. Ok, grovelling over.

The Kufatec kit I've just put in had the Audi mike, but does not have a screened lead, I only found out about that after NSX-JR kindly forwarded the wiring diagram to me - on the Kufatec A6 set up there's rather a long run of unshielded lead - there's a cradle for those who wonder why there is any long run, the BT box goes in the trunk, not behind the glovebox (which would have been one heck of a lot easier).

For my info, does the mike have a built in amp?

And, we have still left the problem this person is having.

Bob

PS I have just fitted the overhead light moulding that has the grill holes and housing for the microphone. It really looks the business, improves the sound quality, and avoids the embarrasment of having all the wiring falling out of the hole in the roof lining when being followed by a BMW driver - which is what happend to me! And yes, you can get them off NSX-JR's web site if you are in the States. He has them very reasonably priced.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bob - no offence there. I'm sure Lee's not PO'd. You had no idea what kit i had installed :lol:

I must add kudo's to Lee here. Brilliant kit - period. Plug and Play - just code when done - its that simple. =D> =D> Well, not really :D , I went out and got a P990i so my phonebook would transfer :wink: . Had the P910 which wouldn't transfer the phonebook.

Actually, what i am after to find out from the guru's, is how much effect does the adaption channel 131 setting have on the mic by increasing the sensitivity (db's). I have tried but with no effect :?

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I have actually never seen much effect at all from changing the adaptation channel. I have noticed however that the microphone and the audio quality does depend on the actual phone and the quality of the bluetooth wireless connection. Many times either the phone is not as good, or it could be something as simple as the battery of the phone is almost dead so that the bluetooth connection is getting weaker and weaker.

There's not much room for error within the car wiring itself. Based on my experience, either the microphone works or it doesn't work and 99% of the problems with the bluetooth functions (whether it is contact sync, or audio problems) are the phone's fault.

·
Registered
112 Posts
The Ross Tech label files suggest that if you have access to VAG Com you can check what your microphone is doing with measuring block 019 - if you like I can take some readings off my set up and post them for you. I'd have done it now but it's blowing a gale and raining heavily.

I suppose it might depend on by how much you are changing it by - +3dB (or possibly +6db, depending on what Audi mean by 'sensitivity') should double the amplification. As you know, there's a range of +6db to-6dB so that should be more than enough. If it's not having any noticeable effect I'd be inclined to set it to 0dB and look for another cause. At the risk of putting my foot in it (again?) are you sure there are no 'kinks' or sharp bends on the microphone shielded cable, although I doubt that would have a noticeable effect at audio frequencies. Obviously you have checked all the connectors are fully seated.

It sounds peverse, but it might be worth reducing the microphone sensitivity, that will tell you if you are suffering from clipping - although that does not sound (terrible pun!) like your problem. I would have thought there was an AVC - automatic volume control - circuit on the microphone input - which would tend to compensate for a quiet voice at any rate. I'm sure you will have made calls to different phones to exclude the other end of the link as the problem.

The only other thing I can suggest from personal experience is microphone placement - which does seem to make a big difference. If you have the proper overhead microphone light unit that is not the problem either - although I almost clipped my microphone in the wrong way up!

Bob

1 - 7 of 7 Posts