Audi Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I should have known better, I guess. I bought an RNS-E kit and a Bluetooth kit from a broker I found on this forum. For the sake of not causing a big fuss, this broker shall remain nameless in this post. For ease of reading, I will refer to the broker as a "he."

From the beginning, the broker was slow to respond to emails and PM's. Sometimes he would not respond to emails at all - even when I would get a receipt indicating that he had read my message. All this happened PRE-SALE and should have tipped me off to look elsewhere for my system.

So, I purchased from him, and he was prompt in shipping out the kits. I made clear that my car was a 2002 allroad with MFSW, Bose, with changer and TPMS, and that I needed my PNP harness to also be ready for TEL, and XM + ice>Link. He promised me that his "cable is XM and Bluetooth ready." He even said he'd include some extra cables with quadlock-ready terminals pre-crimped for my convenience (and he did so.)

So, basically, I expected an RNS-E, manual, Nav Map DVD, PNP harness (ready for Bose, changer, TEL and XM), Bluetooth TEL module, Audi's Bluetooth antenna, PNP Bluetooth TEL harness, Audi radio removal keys, GPS antenna, and installation instructions. Well, I did get most of that. But, I received no install instructions, the Bluetooth TEL harness ended in a bunch of loose (albeit labeled) wires, the Map DVD was a home-burned "Backup Disc/Not For Resale" DVD-R, the GPS antenna connector did not fit the RNS-E, and the Bluetooth antenna was a loop of wire attached to a connector instead of Audi's 8P0 035 503E antenna.

On March 30, I nicely emailed the broker about the issues listed here.... I still have yet to hear from him.

So, I still did my install. I used Ted & Lee's excellent installation PDF (beautifully printed on a color laser printer!) as a guide. I found and corrected a couple of errors in the PNP harness. I had planned on using my car's original GPS antenna, so that (with an adapting extension cable) solved the GPS connector problem. I connected the Bluetooth TEL to the car by crimping onto the appropriate wires in the PNP harness (Meaning that harness is now part of the car and can't be removed).

* (On a side note, the CAN Bus wires from the Bluetooth TEL connector were not twisted. Could this be contributing to the problem of my amp not shutting off?) *

Anyway... the last straw. My "Backup Disc/Not For Resale" DVD has failed to be read by the RNS-E almost two dozen times as of this writing. After one dozen of those times, I contacted the broker who sold (made?) the disc and asked him what he suggested and if he could provide me a new one. His response? I should look to buy one new or from eBay!

I mean, come on! I just spent a bunch of money with this guy! I got almost nil pre-sale support. His product did not arrive with all the promises made about it. I received a bootleg Nav DVD. I got ZERO post-sale support. And now I'm supposed to spend $224 on a new Nav DVD from Navteq?! (No, there have been no Nav Plus DVDs on sale on eBay in the week since he suggested I look there.)

I'm not going to drag his name through the mud here. And, writing this has been something of a cathartic experience, anyway. I guess this should be taken as something of a Caveat Emptor as well as to ask the community, "Did I get screwed here?"

Thanks for listening.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I completely understand your frustration. One thing that should be noted is that ALL "plug and play" packages sold here will inlclude a copy of the NAV DVD... not an original. However, most copies work perfectly fine as long as the DVD media is respectable (i.e., not Ridata).

·
Registered
155 Posts
I got a jank Map Disc from the guy I bought from as well, just ordered a backup from NSX JR (post before this one), worked perfectly.

The one I received was causing all sorts of weird issues. Very odd... I put it away safely and am rocking 2005 2A now.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts