Audi Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have retrofited a rns-e in my b6 (8E0 035 192 D - (H70). The avant came with a Chorus II (K7 player).

I'm using a sw0500 firmware.

And one thing that I can´t undestand how it works is the Brightness setup.

I rotate the control knob to the left and to the right and the brightness still always the same.

When I use the adjustment for the instrument lighting it only change the buttons brightness (red) along with the others buttons of the car.
When I turn on the headligths the map (and only the map) change to a dark color (night mode).

It is normal in a retrofit rns-e? Or I need to change something in the vag-com?

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
To change the brightness you have to be in the brightness menu - Setup | Display | Brightness

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
PetrolDave said:
To change the brightness you have to be in the brightness menu - Setup | Display | Brightness
You are right, and it's exactly what I'm doing. :wink:

After to access to the brightness menu... I have the possibility to rotate the control knob to the left (-) and to the right (+).

I rotate the knob for left and then for right, but the display brightness still always the same :?

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Think of this setting as a "maximum" brightness. The actual brightness is controlled over CANbus from the illumination cirucuits in the car. These illumination circuits are constantly controlled by a light sensor that makes your displays and lights brighter or dimmer according to the ambient light.

Therefore, if you were sitting in a dark area trying to set the brightness of your RNS-E, it will never get brighter because it is being dimmed by the car automatically. However, the brightness setting you select will be the maximum that the RNS-E will achieve when you are in bright ambient light.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
NSX JR said:
Think of this setting as a "maximum" brightness. The actual brightness is controlled over CANbus from the illumination cirucuits in the car. These illumination circuits are constantly controlled by a light sensor that makes your displays and lights brighter or dimmer according to the ambient light.

Therefore, if you were sitting in a dark area trying to set the brightness of your RNS-E, it will never get brighter because it is being dimmed by the car automatically. However, the brightness setting you select will be the maximum that the RNS-E will achieve when you are in bright ambient light.
Sorry, but I don't buy it! My B6 don't have this light sensor, and I never see this kind of automatic dimmer in any B6 in Portugal.
If we want to change the brightness, we need to use the buttons (+ and -) in the left side of the Instrument Cluster.

I have tried to change the brightness in several cenarios.... In my garage (total darkness) and in the street (Portugal is known by the sun... all the year) :lol:

Unfortunately the result is always the same :cry:

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
The brightness sensor has been a standard fitment in Audis for many years.

I suspect you have a fault in your car.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
PetrolDave said:
The brightness sensor has been a standard fitment in Audis for many years.

I suspect you have a fault in your car.
What do you mean with a fault?

I have a friend with a B6 S-line one year younger than mine (07/2003), and don't have any automatic dimmer either.

Can you tell me were is the sensor?

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
The automatic dimmer on the RNS-E is pretty efficient I would say. I just made a couple of tests and the only time you almost cannot see it changing it's dimming is when it's very bright outside.

When it's dark inside and outside the car, changing the display brightness is very visible (at least it was when I just tried it). The brighter it gets, the less you can change using the brightness settings on the RNS-E. If it's very bright and you hold your whole hand over the 0 mph area on your instrument cluster (that's where the light sensor sits) you can see the RNS-E getting very dark. Also, if it's dark and you use a flash light to illuminate the 0 mph area, the RNS-E will get very bright.

I would say it's working pretty well.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
AudiA4B6US said:
The automatic dimmer on the RNS-E is pretty efficient I would say. I just made a couple of tests and the only time you almost cannot see it changing it's dimming is when it's very bright outside.

When it's dark inside and outside the car, changing the display brightness is very visible (at least it was when I just tried it). The brighter it gets, the less you can change using the brightness settings on the RNS-E. If it's very bright and you hold your whole hand over the 0 mph area on your instrument cluster (that's where the light sensor sits) you can see the RNS-E getting very dark. Also, if it's dark and you use a flash light to illuminate the 0 mph area, the RNS-E will get very bright.

I would say it's working pretty well.
My experiences with rns-e are usually done in the garage (total dark or with a miminum light), because it's very quiet.

I will try again. This time with a torch.... now I know were the sensor is. :wink:

Let's see what's happens.....

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
The interior lights are not what I am talking about, it is the DASH lights such as the digital odometer and climate control. These are the ones that dim automatically, not the overhead interior lights.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The experience had a happy end.

NSX JR and AudiA4B6US you are right :oops: ..... as always!

The sensor exists and works. The brightness of the red buttons and the screen change according with the light ambience. I can see a bigger change in the buttons then in the screen, as much in maximun setup as in minimun setup.

But what it matters is that the rns-e brightness setup works. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts