Audi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The car came with the CD based sat nav from the factory so I ASSUMED it would be a straight swap and happy days.

Can anyone confirm if there is more to it then just changing the units?

I have the fin on the roof of the car etc for the sat nav I have at the moment.

I'm after spending a fair bit and am now worried that I have wasted my money? :(

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
The 07 S3 has a BNS 5.0 if it's the CD based Navigation (no Plus). Search for BNS 5.0, the pin out is almost exactly like the RNS-E pint out and it will be a quick plug and play swap (after swapping the few wires that are different).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, thanks for that, you reckon a pin might need slight adapting or the like?

Somebody on Audi Sport suggested this problem also but I don't really understand as my centre console is surely the same as if I had the RNS from the factory?

"Not sure about the CD-based sat nav either, except that if you wanted to remove all trace of it you will need at the very least to buy the 12V connector to replace the small buttons in the centre console."

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
The BNS 5.0 doesn't have controls in the center console anymore, it's a double-DIN unit just like the RNS-E. So, what exactly did you get: The BNS 4 navi with the CD reader in the trunk or the BNS 5.0 in your dash board just like any other OEM radio?

Regarding the pin out, search the forum, the BNS 5 to RNS-E upgrade has been discussed before. Or post the label that sits on top of your BNS 5 unit so that we can compare the pin out here.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
That's the BNS 5.0. Once you got you RNS-E and the radio removal tools, remove the BNS 5.0 and take a look at the label. It's only 1 or 2 pins you have to move, if any. All the plugs are the same for RNS-E and BNS 5.0.

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
Mark N said:
Ok, thanks for that, you reckon a pin might need slight adapting or the like?

Somebody on Audi Sport suggested this problem also but I don't really understand as my centre console is surely the same as if I had the RNS from the factory?
Wrong assumption.

The electrical connections of the BNS5.0 are not 100% identical to the RNS-E - they share the same Quadlock connector but some of the pins have different functions.

Same thing between the Symphony II+ and the RNS-E, same connector but 2 pins different.

Just because something fits physically doesn't mean it "fits" electrically! Your centre console is mechanically correct, but has the wiring for a BNS5.0 not an RNS-E.

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
From what I can tell the only 2 important connections are BOSE and K-line

So a non BOSE A3 would not require any changes

A BOSE A3 would require one wire change fpr BOSE

A non BOSE A4 would require one wire chnage for the K-line

A BOSE A4 would require two wire chnages for BOSE and K-line

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
shawnie53 said:
what is k-line?
K-line is the diagnostic connection used on most VAG cars, except those based on the Golf V platform (like the A3) which use CAN for diagnostics.

So your Symphony II+ to RNS-E conversion works without any changes because:

1) you have an A3 which is Golf V based, and
2) you do not have Bose.

BUT, this is NOT the general case.

In general, the advice we have to give here is that to change from a Symphony II+ to an RNS-E will require 2 wires to be moved: Bose pin and K-line.

If your particular installation doesn't use those two wires then YOU can get away without making any changes - but you are the exception to the rule.

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
Mark N said:
I don't have BOSE.

So in simple terms, is it going to work in the car when my RNS E arrives??!!
Mark - you have a non-Bose S3 - right?

So using craigyb's very simple explanation - YOU will not have to make any changes it will work "out of the box".

Just like it did for shawnie53 - who must have a non-Bose A3.

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
shawnie53 said:
I actually have a NON-Bose A4
So since you haven't moved the K-line your RNS-E will not be able to be seen by either VAG-COM or your dealer's VAS tool - so your installation does NOT work 100%.

·
Registered
258 Posts
because right now my instrument cluster does not show the navigation directions, but i understand that i need to vag it. can i do that with the k-line not placed correctly and make the instrument cluster work?

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
shawnie53 said:
because right now my instrument cluster does not show the navigation directions, but i understand that i need to vag it. can i do that with the k-line not placed correctly and make the instrument cluster work?
Yes, unless the k-line is shorted out or something.

You just won't be able to code the RNS-E correctly for tyre sizes, adding options etc, RHD coding.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts