Audi Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new to all this and I just bought an RNS-E... I was just wondering What I'm supposed to do with the Bose pin on the plug and play adapter (I have a Audi A4 2003 with Bose sound system... Should I connect the pin or leave it like it is? where should I connect it? If anybody could help me it would be very appreciated!!! here is a picture of the adapter

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Connect it to GND on the main wiring loom

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
You can also connect it to the BOSE pin in your original radio wiring. This is located at Connector III, pin 1. Connector III is the 8-pin black connector.

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
gabbleau said:
And the three wires for Tel mute, Tel- and tel+, can I just leave them loose, unplugged?
If you don't have any sort of hands free kit - yes.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
gabbleau said:
And the three wires for Tel mute, Tel- and tel+, can I just leave them loose, unplugged?
It is not a good idea to leave loose wires connected to your RNS-E. It would be very easy for one of these to touch a ground point and especially in the case of the TEL MUTE wire, you don't want that to happen. If you're not going to use the TEL wires, then remove them completely from the harness.

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
gabbleau said:
Ok, so let's say I just ground my Bose pin onto the chassis, where and how is the best way to do it?
The best way is to connect it to Connector III, pin 1. That connects it to the original Bose pin that your original radio used.

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
NSX JR said:
gabbleau said:
It is not a good idea to leave loose wires connected to your RNS-E. It would be very easy for one of these to touch a ground point and especially in the case of the TEL MUTE wire, you don't want that to happen. If you're not going to use the TEL wires, then remove them completely from the harness.
Good point ... I'd forgotten about the problems that some people have had where long unused wires on the Tel Mute pin have caused the RNS-E to go into "Tel Mute" mode.

Best would be to carefully remove the wires and pins - so if/when you do get a telephone module you can re-insert the wires and use them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
One more thing, my Connector III, pin 1 is already used by the Speed signal/ GALA wire... Can I just remove it completely and put the bose pin instead since I have an A4?

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Which means you can completely remove that speed pulse wire as you have an A4 and do not require a speed pulse wire and insert the BOSE pin in that position, if you look at the corresponding side from the car it should have a brown wire in it for the BOSE GND. If it has any other colour, do not use it.

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
gabbleau said:
ok thank you, do you have any tricks for removing those without the specific tool?
I use a fine jewellers screwdriver.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts