Audi Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off this website is awesome. Great work. I can spend hours in here.

I currently have the Audi SYMPHONY II with Bose installed in my car now. I just purchased a Audi Navigation Plus RNS-E on ebay. Hopefully it is legit.

[link deleted - see forum rules]

The seller has responded to all my questions except one.

Does this unit come with the Bose adapter Cable?

So I am unsure what the diffrences between a Non-Bose Adapter and a Bose Adapter. I went ahead and purchased a Bose Adapter from

http://www.navparts.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=36&products_id=159

Do I even need a bose adapter or does my car have one already?

I need some help.

Hopefully my unit will come in next week.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
I hope you will get your unit. IMHO this is very shady eBay listing...

...notice that user is registered in Germany but he typed that his location is California, O.C United States.

That's a common trick to get some clients hooked up.

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
srgriff9 said:
Do I even need a bose adapter or does my car have one already?
You DEFINITELY need an adapter, your car will not have connections for an RNS-E.

Since you have Bose you need a Bose adapter.

Since you don't say what model Audi you have we can't say for sure what adapter you need - it is possible to create a universal (Bose/non-Bose adapter) for a B6/B7 A4 but this is not true for all Audi models.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I purchased my RNS-E unit from eBay. I think I purchased from the same guy in Germany. He had the same suspicious using Orange County as where the item was located. I just received it this morning.

The guy I bought it from said it would work with my 'shark fin' antenna located on the roof. He said I would need a fakra connector. Is this true or will I need to do what I've read on other postings about using a second antenna and mounting it in the dash or glove box?

I received the Nav Plus unit, plus a wire harness that has four inputs to one output (BOSE?) and an antenna.

Aside from the dashboard unlock keys, what else do you think I need to complete the install of this unit?

Also, I have no idea what you guys are talking about regarding VAG-COM. Can someone shed some light of these questions?

Thanks!

·
Registered
996 Posts
actually, there are very little differences between a bose and none-bose adaptor across the B5, C5, B6 and B7 models. For instance, a bose adaptor can be used in a none bose car if:

1) you remove the bose pin (some harnesses have it grounded to the main ground wire); most Sym II's have a special bose pin in Connector III.

2) Add for wires for passive front speakers (almost a mini-harness) within the quadlock/pnp harness for Connector A (RNS-E) and Connector II (Sym I/II).

3) A bose harness will have 5 wires supporting line-out audio (FR, FL, RL, RR, audio ground) while a non-bose will have 3 (RL, RR, audio ground). A non-bose harness just doesn't have the front two for line-out....and both will have a remote lead to turn on the amp. No need to move/relocate any pins/wires.

Bottom-line: Aside from item #2, any bose harness, can easily be modified to work in a non-bose equipped car.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
gsteever....Thanks

Thanks for the info.
When did your purchase your unit?
Have you started on the install?
Where are you located?

My unit shipped out on March 9?
I haven't been home yet today so maybe it is there already.

[email protected]

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
gsteever said:
Also, I have no idea what you guys are talking about regarding VAG-COM. Can someone shed some light of these questions?
VAG-COM is a piece of PC software and a special lead that connects to the diagnostic socket on your car.

You need it to check/correct the coding, clear error codes and configure (set the tyre diameter, set the speech directions to come out of the speaker by the driver, etc.). You also need it to change the settings of your DIS (display between the speedometer and tachometer) to display the navigation directions.

There's lots of other settings you can check/change on your car (with care!), look here.

If you don't want to buy VAG-COM you can either rely on your dealer (risky - not many of them seem to know how to setup an RNS-E correctly) or there may be someone living near you who will help you out in exchange for a few beers or WHY.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I just purchased an RNS-E, got a pretty good deal on it. The unit is a 4B0 035 192 P. It is to be installed in a 2001 S4 w/Bose, w/CD Changer, and w/Telephone (my car has the little carphone plug in the center console). I'm interested in adding Bluetooth to the setup after I get the unit working. I've got some questions befure I even attempt to install this thing though.

Now the unit I have is a European unit, I have the European map disc (I think this is the disc you guys are using to flash euro units over to US firmware). I've seen a little bit of information about reflashing European units, but I haven't seen any all-in-one place tutorials for doing this, can you point me in the right direction so I'll be able to get the proper firmware on my unit?

I've seen information about adding the OEM Bluetooth modules, I noticed that you can save a few hundred dollars if you already have the OnStar Telematics installed. I'm not sure how to tell if I have this installed though. Is the little plug in my center console a sign that I have the OnStar Telematics already?

I know I need to buy a plug and play harness and the adapter for the antenna, but I just want to make sure I'm purchasing the right ones. I've gone through www.Euro-Parts.us and I think I found the right ones for my install, but can someone please verify these are the ones I need?
Plug and Play adaper: https://www.euro-parts.us/product.php?productid=16136&cat=251&page=1
Antenna adapter: https://www.euro-parts.us/product.php?productid=16143&cat=250&page=1

If you guys can answer those few questions for me I should be good to go (I hope). I've established a contact in my area with a Vag-Com so I think I have everything ready to go. Just need some of you guys with experience to verify it for me please.

Regards,
Adam

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
OnStar was only installed in some MY 2003-2005 B6, C5 and D3. I doubt that it was available in a MY 2001 Audi. However, if you got it installed you should have the OnStar buttons in your interior lights.

Once you got the RNS-E installed and also have access to the US 2005 or 2006 DVD, send me a PM and I will tell you what to do to get the US firmware loaded onto your Euro device. You will have to have the US DVD and access to a VAG-COM, otherwise it won't be that easy.

·
Registered
132 Posts
anyone have pictures of all the wiring stuff you need ?

I bought a unit from afrint and umm he is sending me navy and antenna and adaptor (non bose) i hav ea bose car - if you have pictures of all that i need I can show him

·
Registered
4 Posts
actually, there are very little differences between a bose and none-bose adaptor across the B5, C5, B6 and B7 models. For instance, a bose adaptor can be used in a none bose car if:

1) you remove the bose pin (some harnesses have it grounded to the main ground wire); most Sym II's have a special bose pin in Connector III.

2) Add for wires for passive front speakers (almost a mini-harness) within the quadlock/pnp harness for Connector A (RNS-E) and Connector II (Sym I/II).

3) A bose harness will have 5 wires supporting line-out audio (FR, FL, RL, RR, audio ground) while a non-bose will have 3 (RL, RR, audio ground). A non-bose harness just doesn't have the front two for line-out....and both will have a remote lead to turn on the amp. No need to move/relocate any pins/wires.

Bottom-line: Aside from item #2, any bose harness, can easily be modified to work in a non-bose equipped car.
Any additional details on how to accomplish #2?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts