Audi Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My phone has better built-in voice capabilities than the car's voice system. Paired with other devices, in the past I've been able to use the phone's voice commands. Is there any way to do that with the RNS-E/BT retrofit? If so, would the steering wheel buttons still work?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Just to clarify, though, the Bluetooth module for the RNS-E does support some limited form of voice control, right? I have the four-spoke MFSW in my '04 S4, so what should I expect to be able to do assuming I properly VAG the wheel so that the < and > buttons are assigned to hands-free phone?

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
You will be able to trigger voice commands via button on MFSW.
If you code your TEL interface for MFSW you will be able to use SDS function as well.

·
Registered
55 Posts
So I apologize for the total ignorance, but what are the valid voice commands? Just "Dial <wife's name> Mobile" or more than that?

Also, SDS function?

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
dial number
dial name
help
phonebook

etc. ....

[flash width=400 height=326 loop=false:88e416a1d4]http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docId=8699437868476651971[/flash:88e416a1d4]

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
You can not voice dial directly through your phone. You can set up a voice phonebook inside the bluetooth module itself and use that for voice dialing. The internal phonebook can hold 50 numbers. You can't say "Call my wife, mobile" unless that is programmed separately into the bluetooth module.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Just to clarify a little bit, having bored myself to sleep reading the handbook the other day :( . As far as I can tell, there is a 50 number phonebook available in the RNS-E which is universal and is available whoever's phone is connected. There is also a 50 number phonebook stored in the Bt module which is only available when the creators phone is connected. You can attach voice commands to both but it is not necessary to have a voice capable phone as it is all controlled by the car.

HTH

Keith

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
The manual does list some way of attaching voice tags to contacts that it downloads from the phone, but AFAIK nobody has actually gotten that to work yet.

You can supposedly do this by scrolling through the contacts using the DIS and steering wheel, then hold down the "call" button to store a voice tag for that contact. However, it always just calls the number for me and everyone else I know that has tried it.

·
Registered
172 Posts
There is nothing in the manual about how to activate voice dialing without a MFSW. I do not think it is possible. To really leverage the functionaility of this setup, you should consider upgrading your steering wheel to one with the controls. I know the 3-spoke sport wheels are nice, but it is really nice to have everything at your fingertips!

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
berr0825 said:
I don't have the MFSW, is there anyway for me access the bluetooth voice controls?
You need something that has the PTT switch (you press this to start the voice recognition procedure) - which is only on the MFSW.

·
Registered
27 Posts
PetrolDave said:
berr0825 said:
I don't have the MFSW, is there anyway for me access the bluetooth voice controls?
You need something that has the PTT switch (you press this to start the voice recognition procedure) - which is only on the MFSW.
How does that button work?

Is it converted into a CAN message or something?
Do you think this could be emulated with a separate buttons somehow?

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
int2str said:
PetrolDave said:
berr0825 said:
How does that button work?

Is it converted into a CAN message or something?
Do you think this could be emulated with a separate buttons somehow?
bjarne's CANGate can be made to send the correct CAN message when a button is pressed ...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts