Audi Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The OEM bluetooth kit appears to have great functionality and intergration. While in the past I was skeptical about the cost of the components over the aftermarket solutions, I am leaning toward doing this upgrade (I currently have a Motorola bluetooth kit installed).

Two questions:

1. I read a couple of posts that indicated that the bluetooth connection ends when the key is removed from the ignition. However, does this also terminate the call, or does it simply end the bluetooth connection (so I can continue my conversation on the handset while I leave my car)???

2. What are the steps to manually disconnect from bluetooth so I can take a conversation private while I am driving?

Thanks in advance for any help!

·
Registered
996 Posts
Henry,
I knew that it was only a matter of time before you decided to pull your $100 moto kit for the real deal. I wish I had a nickel for every time you posted that the $700 upgrade was not worth the expense. You might need to go back and delete those posts in audiworld when you do the upgrade. Right?

As for your questions, if you have read any of Lee's pdfs, then you would know that those are mostly VAG setting withing the BT module.

Good luck buddy!!

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Henry, I am surprised to hear this coming from you, but I suppose change is the way of the universe.

1. Yes the bluetooth remains active until the key is removed from the ignition. The call is simply bounced back to your handset so you can continue talking without interruption. The same goes for getting into the car. If you are on a call when you start your car, you will automatically be switched over to handsfree.

2. The only way to discoonect from handsfree while driving is to do so from the phone itself. The easist way I think is to simply turn the bluetooth on the phone off completely and I have a shortcut for this on my phone's home page. Then when you are ready to reconnect, just turn the phone's bluetooth back on.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmmm...not sure I like the fact there is not a quick way to disconnect from the bluetooth without powering the phone off or going through the menus. The Motorola kit I have right now, all I ahve to do is to press a button for a few seconds and I am off handsfree. Similarly, after I shut the car off, and remove the key, the Motorola kit stays connected on the handsfree mode on my existing call, unless I press the same button to switch to the handset.

I guess I have to think about the disconnect features of the OEM kit...lots of times I am in the car with my son, and my wife will ask me to get off handsfree so we can talk privately (like planning playdates for him, etc without tipping him off). So it sounds like a bit more difficult to switch to the handset on the fly, which is something I do frequently enough that it might be a dealbreaker.

If anyone can shed light on a quicker way to switch to the handset, I am interested to hear about those methods. Of course, if I do decide to get this, I will be contacting Lee for his kit!!!

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Well honestly the only way to get the phone off handsfree is with the phone itself. If you are constatly switching back and forth from your handset to the handsfree that kind of defeats the purpose of the bluetooth kit anyway (convenience and safety). I agree that if you want privacy frequently in your car, you should probably stay away from this kit. That's just not the use for which it is designed.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Henry,
still sounds like you won't make the leap to the OEM package and you want to stay with your aftermarket moto kit. I will tell you about one cool feature that the OEM BT kit does:

Yes, you can mute the conversation directly with the RNSE. While in a phone call, you press the lower right cursor (labelled: "options") and you will see the word "mute on" as an option. Simply select and you can now have a private conversation in your car while the party on the other end of your phone is well...."muted" out. This has nothing to do with the phone or carrier that you operate.

To me, this seems like a safer way to operate that function than:
1) pressing the keypad of the moto kit....then...
2) digging out your cellphone and continuing the conversation.
...all while trying to maintain your eyes on the road. Plus, the passenger up front can control this fuction directly from the RNSE.
Caveat: To the best of my knowledge, I don't think this option is available unless you have the RNSE installed.

Just one of the various reasons why the integrated OEM BT option is far superior to any aftermarket solution.

Good luck in your decision making!
-Ted

PS: When you do install the OEM BT module, will you end up going back and deleting all those posts where you said that the "it wasn't worth the money..."???

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mute on the RNS-E sounds nice, but the moto-kit (which is closer to the steernig wheel than the RNS-E) I hit the mute button to mute AND un-mute. I do not have to dig out the handset to unmute.

I agree that the phonebook, caller ID features, and some other features are very nice on the OEM kit...but I am not sure it is enough for me to make the $700 leap...yet...Hey, remember when I aws undecided on the RNS-E earlier, right? But I finally broke down and got the RNS-E anyway, so you never know...

Thanks for pointing out the additional features. Perhaps an in-person demonstration would be more beneficial?

·
Registered
49 Posts
But you've got to "dig out the handset" to speak on it after you've masterfully muted the motorola kit anyway.

Surely it is illegal(besides being very dangerous) to use the Mobile(cell) phone whilst driving without it being handsfree? The purpose of the car kit is to make it safer to drive and talk on the mobile phone, it defeats the point bypassing the car kit! With your current motorola kit, how do you call a number that is stored on your phonebook? Do you have to pick up your phone and scroll through the menu to get to the phonebook, and then scroll to the name, all on a small phone lcd screen? That sounds dangerous to me!

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
You can voice dial through the moto kit. It is not illegal in most states here to use mobile phones while driving, but I won't get into a political discussion about that here. I will just say that I can't count the number of times I have almost been hit by phone talkers when I am on my motorcycle. Very frustrating.

·
Registered
49 Posts
But you're very limited to the number of voice tags you can set in your phone. You can also set a voice tag or shortcut to disable bluetooth on some phones.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Actually, the dialing functionality of the Moto kit is pretty good. It stays in my pocket the whole time. ALL phone numbers stored on my bluetooth phone are accessible via voice dialing, with no pre-recorded voive "tags." Press the button on the dash, say "call home" and voila, it dials home. I can also say "call 2025551212" and it will dial the number.

If I have multiple entries under the same name, like a friend's home, work, mobile, then it will cycle through each one "did you say call AdMan Home?" If I say no, it will continue with "did you say call AdMan work?" If no, it will end with "did you say call AdMan mobile?" Once I say "Yes" it will dial.

Yes, I know that I have to dig out the handset anyway to take the conversation private in the car, but I do not want to have to look at the cell phone menus to disconnect. I'd rather like just fipping the handset open. I think more dangerous to scroll the menus than to push a button on the dash to disconnect. Just my opinion...

Of course, I like the idea of caller ID on the instrument cluster, but I typically answer the phone anyway, but nevertheless, not a bad idea to know who is calling.

Keep the ideas coming please...I appeciate any other thoughts to convince me to go OEM...

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
There's no convincing to be done. Either you want the OEM kit or you want the moto kit. If you want to only use the bluetooth handsfree part of the time, then keep your money and use your moto kit. It's that simple.

·
Registered
996 Posts
NSX JR said:
There's no convincing to be done. Either you want the OEM kit or you want the moto kit. If you want to only use the bluetooth handsfree part of the time, then keep your money and use your moto kit. It's that simple.
I couldn't agree more. Until he see's it in action....he can't comment on it's feature, functions vs the moto kit. BostonDrivers' particular usecases don't make any sense...and it just seems like he is trying to justify his moto kit vs. the OEM BT module.

Besides, there are probably 20 other reasons why the OEM BT kit is better than any aftermarket setup. I've had the moto kit, it worked fine....and now have OEM...and as they say...."you get, what you pay for."

No need for anyone else to reply here......

topic: complete.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.