Audi Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the OEM Bluetooth kit retro fitted to my RNS-E and I have to say that from a functionality point of view it is very good, pulling up address books and the like. However the quality of my voice to the person on the other end of the phone is not very good at all. I have even called myself and left voice mails and can vouch for the fact that it sounds very echoy, tinny and distorted.

I realise that this flies in the face of what people say about the kit so something must be wrong.

Mine is a Kuftec kit.

I have played around with the microphone gain settings etc but the difference is minimal. I find that if I talk very quietly then the distortion is less but the other qualities are the same.

Has anyone got any ideas?

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Try using a different phone as your first troubleshooting step. The call quality has just as much to do with the phone as it does the bluetooth module since the signals are sent wireless over the bluetooth frequency. The phone may work perfectly well by itself but have poor bluetooth functions which could cause your problem.

Once you rule out the phone, you have three other options.

-Bluetooth module. I have never had one of these cause a problem
-microphone. could be the problem. Only way to check it is to replace it.
-harness. Kufatec harnesses don't use coax wire for the microphone which could very well cause the problem. Audi uses coax wire in their wiring harnesses and you should too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
NSX JR said:
Try using a different phone as your first troubleshooting step. The call quality has just as much to do with the phone as it does the bluetooth module since the signals are sent wireless over the bluetooth frequency. The phone may work perfectly well by itself but have poor bluetooth functions which could cause your problem.

-harness. Kufatec harnesses don't use coax wire for the microphone which could very well cause the problem. Audi uses coax wire in their wiring harnesses and you should too.
Thanks for that. I have tried 3 other phones. Each has a slightly different sound characteristic but none sound very good at all so I am guessing it is one of the other problems. I assume that I should start with the coax issue first as that seems most likely?

From memory the cable was integral to the microphone and had a connector at the harness end? That being the case, if I buy a new cable from Audi, does it come with a new microphone too?

·
Registered
30 Posts
NSX JR said:

I changed the microphone and had exactly the same poor quality. I have been on to Audi and had a look on EKTA to find the correct wire to connect from the harness to the mic but can't seem to find one. Do you know of a part number? :?:

·
Registered
73 Posts
brucelubbers said:
NSX JR said:

I changed the microphone and had exactly the same poor quality. I have been on to Audi and had a look on EKTA to find the correct wire to connect from the harness to the mic but can't seem to find one. Do you know of a part number? :?:
I actually looked at my mic install, because of the poor quality.
The mic itself had an arrow on it. It points to the direction of the mic.
Mine was pointing to the passenger.

I swapped it to point to the driver side and the quality improved.
Another interesting thing I found is that the mic itself internally seems to be exactly the same as used for the audiopilot feedback.

Thanks,
Lauri

·
Registered
129 Posts
brucelubbers said:
NSX JR said:

TeddyBGame should be able to help you with a new mic harness if you want to replace your existing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well have tried everything now but have got nowhere.....

Got a new harness (shielded) made up from someone on this forum but it made no difference. Got a new mic from Audi but that was actually worse. Tried several different phones and moving the microphone etc but essentially back to square 1.

Pretty much at the end of my tether with this one. Have spent a lot of money on the BT system that everyone raves about but so far it is much worse than the Sony Ericsson 2 penny system that I replaced.....

I can hear perfectly but my voice quality to callers is just bearable at walking pace and awful at anything over 30 mph.

Will try to post 2 WAV files of the messages that I left myself.

·
Registered
73 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
lauriv said:
Damianmilson said:
here are the WAV files. Put them on the music sharing site www.4shared.com as it seemed the easiest way to hear them!!!

Wont be very interesting for anyone else who tags them randomly.....

http://www.4shared.com/file/20493634/bf26e1e9/voice-18b5b83.html

http://www.4shared.com/file/20493648/f9d13b05/voice-18b5ba9.html

ps sorry about my drab commentary!!!
Crank up the mic volume to +5dB using VAG.
Mine is now acceptable.

Lauri
I already have done so! That is with it it at +5db..........

·
Registered
65 Posts
While it's a pain I would return the mic and try a new one. I tried three used ones just to see if it was the mic or something else and finally bit the bullet for a new mic - it works perfectly. It's not impossible that the mic you bought is bad.

SMF

·
Registered
530 Posts
lauriv said:
I actually looked at my mic install, because of the poor quality.
The mic itself had an arrow on it. It points to the direction of the mic.
Mine was pointing to the passenger.

I swapped it to point to the driver side and the quality improved.
Sorry to take this a little OT but is there an easy way to remove the microphone from the light cluster once it's been installed? It was near impossible to do without damaging the surrounding plastic when I last tried..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
SMF said:
While it's a pain I would return the mic and try a new one. I tried three used ones just to see if it was the mic or something else and finally bit the bullet for a new mic - it works perfectly. It's not impossible that the mic you bought is bad.

SMF
OK, will be replacing the mic again today to see if it makes any difference. Will keep you posted on progress. :cry:

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Thanks Albert, but I know how to remove the light cluster OK but you have to 'insert' the microphone into a rectangular housing and I find it impossible to remove once inserted (ie you have to wedge a small screwdriver down the side to 'bust it out'!).

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
yep, I experienced that also: very hard to get the mic out of the housing, without damaging the plastic housing! I don't know whether there's a better way to do it. I think that it is designed to put it in once, and never remove it again!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I haven't installed BT yet but couldn't you thread a small piece of string or wire under the mic and pull it out that way?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts