Audi Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently installed a Bluetooth module in the spot that was occupied by the Telematics/OnStar box under the passenger seat. Before using VAG-COM, my phone sees the unit fine but does not display any of the phone data and when I try to make a call or receive a call the mute is on and when I try to turn the mute off the head unit says "this function is not supported".

Some info on the hardware and software:
RNS-E Euro D unit upgraded to US F
HW Index: H72
BT G unit ordered from Lee.
Newest US navi disc installed.
Drop in replacement with OnStar unit using factory mic etc. and 54 pin connector (all the wiring is per the chart on this site and working.)
Phone: Motorola Q
Car is a US '04 S4 with multifunction steering wheel and previous Symph. II and color dash display.
Using newest VAG-COM 607.2 with Ross-Tech Hex-USB+CAN interface.

Again, the Q sees the BT and the car sees the phone but when I try to acess #56 and change the numbers it never takes. I think the soft coding of the BT and RNS-E might be the problem but I feel something else is going on (like my VAG-COM doesn't appear to see the CAN-but not sure if it needs to??) If someone can suggest the softcoding for #56 and 77 I will give it a shot.
Any help would be greatly appreciated before I drive this car into a lake...
Brad

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Have you connected K-Line to BT and RNS-E?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
a4ss4abt said:
Is this a physical thing (ie: an actual wire connecting each piece) or something via VAG-COM? (sorry for noob question)
I did notice that my VAG-COM does not see a CAN connection and I don't have "Force K on egine" checked. Does my car have CAN and should I have that K-Line box checked or not???
thanx

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Rallyhawk said:
a4ss4abt said:
Is this a physical thing (ie: an actual wire connecting each piece) or something via VAG-COM? (sorry for noob question)
I did notice that my VAG-COM does not see a CAN connection and I don't have "Force K on egine" checked. Does my car have CAN and should I have that K-Line box checked or not???
thanx
yes a phisical wyre connecting heach component for diagnostic look at the diagram in RNS-E. In fact your car has diagnostic via K-line not via-Can bus. When connected K-line you will have the possibility to see controllers 56 and 77 and recode them as you want.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry for the confusion-I must have the K-Line installed since I can talk to both 77 and 56.
I set them to 0011877 and 0309637 respectively.
The phone connects now but there is no functionality other then by dialing though the phone (nothing displays on the screen other then that it's making a call.) The mute issue has gone away but there is still NO sound whatsoever coming over the speakers while in a call and no one can hear me.
I guess I am getting closer...

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Rallyhawk said:
Sorry for the confusion-I must have the K-Line installed since I can talk to both 77 and 56.
I set them to 0011877 and 0309637 respectively.
The phone connects now but there is no functionality other then by dialing though the phone (nothing displays on the screen other then that it's making a call.) The mute issue has gone away but there is still NO sound whatsoever coming over the speakers while in a call and no one can hear me.
I guess I am getting closer...
Why not 309737 for 56?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Problem update

Just an update that the phone is still not working 100% yet and driving me nuts. It pairs fine with the car and when I get an incoming call the name appears on the screen (assuming it's in my address book) and the directory also appears but still nothing out of the cars speakers and no one can hear me.
I still can't change the 4th digit to 7 per the suggestion above.
Does anyone have any clue what I am missing???

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Your 4th digit should not be 7...that is for EU cars only. Your 4th digit should be 6. Besides, if your data seems to be flowing properly (meaning you see phone info on the RNS-E screen) then your coding is FINE and you simply have a wiring problem.

When you installed your RNS-E did you acutally use a plug and play adapter that included telephone connections? If so, are you 100% sure that these connections were made properly from one end of the harness to the other end? Your RNS-E will still mute even if the mute wire is not connected properly...but the telephone audio will NOT be heard if these wires are not connected.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
NSX JR said:
Your 4th digit should not be 7...that is for EU cars only. Your 4th digit should be 6. Besides, if your data seems to be flowing properly (meaning you see phone info on the RNS-E screen) then your coding is FINE and you simply have a wiring problem.

When you installed your RNS-E did you acutally use a plug and play adapter that included telephone connections? If so, are you 100% sure that these connections were made properly from one end of the harness to the other end? Your RNS-E will still mute even if the mute wire is not connected properly...but the telephone audio will NOT be heard if these wires are not connected.
Sorry-meant to say 5th digit with the 0 at the beginning-but we are talking about the same digit (Telephone/Telematics under 56.)
I triple checked the wiring using the chart provided on this forum at http://www.navplus.us/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1876 and everything was there at the Telematics end under the seat but are you suggesting the adaptor I used might not have all the wires for the Bluetooth?? The adaptor came with the with the unit and appears to be complete-to the best of my knowledge. I will pull the radio right now-is there any wires in particular I should be looking for??
Thanks

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Yes, your car will have a black 10-pin connector with only three wires (assuming you did not have the OEM trunk mounted navigation). Make sure this connector is actually attached to something in the wiring harness you used to install the RNS-E.

On the other hand, if your car did come with the trunk mounted CD navigation, and you unplugged said navigation unit then that would also explain your problem. You need to connect a jumper across one of those connectors to allow the telephone audio to make it all the way to the headunit.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
NSX JR said:
On the other hand, if your car did come with the trunk mounted CD navigation, and you unplugged said navigation unit then that would also explain your problem. You need to connect a jumper across one of those connectors to allow the telephone audio to make it all the way to the headunit.
Ok-I think that explains it then! I do have the factory (trunk mount) CD navi system and I didn't remove a thing when I put the RNS-E in.
Do you know what wires to jump and do I jump them at the rear CD navi unit or at the head unit? I looked on this site for something that mentions/shows what two to jump but couldn't find anything.
Thanks again for all your help.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Well, since you never disconnected anything at your trunk CD nav drive, it actually should not be causing your problem.

However, this DOES bring up another possible problem in your RNS-E wiring harness...

Since you have the CD nav drive, the TEL audio in your car from the factory does not go directly from the Onstar module to the headunit. Instead the tel audio goes from the onstar unit to the CD nav drive, then the CD nav drive passes the tel audio along to the headunit over the NAV audio wires. Therefore, your TEL audio does not arrive at the headunit on the typical wires (Connector IV, pins 3 & 4) but instead it arrives on the NAV audio wires (Connector IV, pins 5 & 6).

For this reason, even if your RNS-E plug and play harness does include the 10-pin connector to mate to your telephone connector in the car, then the audio wires will not be in the right positions. To resolve this problem, you can change the wires in your plug and play harness like this:

In the male 10-pin connector end of your plug and play harness:

Move the wire from pin 3 to pin 5
Move the wire from pin 4 to pin 6

You can do this by using a small paperclip to depress the locking tab on the male pin and pull it out of the back of the connector.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts