Audi Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a 'J' bluetooth module from a junk yard over the weekend. Apparently, this came from a 2007 A4 that had an accident while in transport to the dealer. The junk yard was 'required-by-the-manufacturer' to destroy the car so they were in the process of cutting the car into managable bits. Literally 2" of the module was cut off! However, the actual circuit board is much smaller than the housing and appears to not have suffered. Had the saw been over a couple of millimeters it would have been destroyed!

It appears to be working, however, I am not able to communicate via Vag-com. My phone links with the module and my phone book appears in the DIS. I can select the number via the mfsw and dial out fine. However, the RNS-E does not display the phonebook and only gives me basic functionality. Any ideas?

Pic of 'hacked' unit:
http://www.navplus.us/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=712

·
Registered
235 Posts
that's such crap! Why do they have to destroy it? I think it's audi's way of making sure you have to buy new parts and can't get cards from junk yards!!!
</rant>

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The donor vehicle suffered damage when a cabriolet (in front, on same carrier) caught fire. The front end of the A4 suffered some fire damage. Apparently, Audi does not want damaged vehicles to be repaired and sold 'like new' or 'Fresh paint!'. Something to do with liability and lawyers :D The salvage yard must video tape the destruction and forward tape to Audi. They did remove and sell most of the drive train. They are not allowed to sell and must destroy anything safety related (i.e air bags, brakes, etc.) This is apparently common practice for most manufacturers while the vehicles are their property.

As for the BT module, they did not know it was under the carpet until I asked if it was there. At that point the body had already been cut and the damage done. Again, I find it strange (and lucky) that the section that was cut off had no electronics. It was simply empty.

I am guessing I do not have continuity on the 'K' line and therefore no communication. I assume the unit is currently coded to perform diagnostics via K-line. I am also assuming the infotainment can-bus is correct since the DIS displays phone book. Does this sound correct? I will check continuity on the K line tonight. Its also possible my harness is incorrect in reference to the k-line.

EDIT - By the way, I am using VAG-COM version 704, which was released a week ago. It also includes a firmware update for the vag-com cable. Probably unrelated to my com problem but I found it interesting. Also, the car is a 2005.5 B7 A4.

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
NoNaviA64.2 said:
EDIT - By the way, I am using VAG-COM version 704, which was released a week ago. It also includes a firmware update for the vag-com cable. Probably unrelated to my com problem but I found it interesting. Also, the car is a 2005.5 B7 A4.
I can confirm that VAG-COM 704 communicates fine with the Bluetooth module on every car I've tried it on.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When I upgraded to 704 and did the cable firmware update I had problems communicating with the engine ecu. I thought this may have also been the reason for the BT module 'no response from controller'. However, once the computer was restarted it communicated with everything, except the BT module.

My problem turned out to be some what common. My telephone mute and K-line pins were not in the correct positions. Once I swapped pins 15 and 16 in the telephone module connector I was able to communicate and change the settings. BT works perfectly and has full functionality.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts