Audi Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased an RNS-E from ebay. Let me start off by saying I own a 2006 A4 (B7) with the Symphony II radio, no phone, no changer. I ordered the adapter through Deventer, Rum who came recommended through this site and very convenient since he's in Germany. I plug the adapter in and the brown oem plug doesn't fit into any of the connectors. Also, I hear the fuse from the cars main fuse box blow. So I go to replace the fuse and it blows again. I connect the attenna to the radio thinking maybe it needs to be grounded; still blowing fuses. I've written him back to see if he sent the wrong adapter but for now I have no idea what to do. I have searched and have researched and bookmarked pages and I just can't find an answer. Please help if you can.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
double check 8 pin black connector. (3rd from the top on picture below)

[siteimg:da058aec8a]67[/siteimg:da058aec8a]

You should have 3 wires connected over there. 2 of them located opposite to connector lock, are power (red/brown or black).

Also check fuse in your NAV unit (on the back)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
PROXUS said:
double check 8 pin black connector. (3rd from the top on picture below)

[siteimg:28d9fa5e7a]67[/siteimg:28d9fa5e7a]

You should have 3 wires connected over there. 2 of them located opposite to connector lock, are power (red/brown or black).

Also check fuse in your NAV unit (on the back)
The fuse on the nav unit was blown so I'll need to replace that for sure, but the 8 pin connector has three wires of different color scheme than you stated. The end wires. One red, other yellow and green, and one middle wire that is just yellow.

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
What worries me here is the fuse on the Nav unit was blown!!!! that is after the wiring loom and the fuse preceding it must be bigger for that to have blow first.

So possibly the previous owner has bench tested it and blown the fuse, that's a 15A fuse by the way in the RNS.

Or very unlikely that the previous owner has put a bigger fuse in the car and then tried to power up the RNS-E hence blowing the onboard RNS-E fuse as well.

I hate to say this, but it sounds like another ebay duffer.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I checked pin 8 on connector 3 and it runs to #15 on the rns-e which is KL.30 Also on connector 3 the wire that is now in pinhole 3 was in pinhole 4. I haven't bought a new fuse so I will have to get to it tomorrow after work but in the meantime here is a picture of the vehicle ends so you can see what i was talking about.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, so now I'm not blowing fuses in the main fuse box, but I am still blowing the fuse on the rns-e everytime I plug in the adapter. So I think I've narrowed it down to possibly the adapter. I'm going to look in the for sale section, but who can recommend someone in Europe (preferrably Germany) who can sell me a good and hopefully working adapter. I bought this one from Deventer, but he's not responding to my emails now so I can send this one back and see if I can get one that works to test if that's the problem. Hopefully he's just really busy watching The World Cup.

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
i3oricua said:
Hopefully he's just really busy watching The World Cup.
"The World Cup" - what's that?
It's not that boring and pointless soccer thing that's supposed to be happening sometime in 2006 is it?

You'll guess that I HATE anything to do with soccer!!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, I've only heard of it once. I just sat in a little restaurant in my little village in Germany and watched Germany put it on Costa Rica yesterday 4-2. I mean all they really did was kick a ball around. Pointless.... :wink:

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
If I would be you I would research first why the fuse is blowing before I would order a new adapter that may or may not work better.

If you have a PC or another 12V power supply that can provide at least 5A current, take the adapter you have apart and make sure that pin D12 is connected to the ground wire in connector II pin 8 and that pin D15 is connected to 12V+ in connector III pin 7. Use the diagram and pictures in NSX Jr's chart (http://www.nsxjr.com/docs/RNStoSym2.pdf) for the exact location of the pins. Leave the other plugs disconnected and try the RNS-E with just connector III plugged in.

If the internal fuse still blows after connecting just connector III, then something is wrong with your RNS-E. I had accidentally connected 12V+ to the ground pin of my RNS-E and nothing happened (other than that my power supply really didn't like that). Not that I would recommend to try this too but with proper wiring the internal fuse shouldn't blow.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
I heard about case like that before from one of my clients. He bought his RNS-E from some guy on eBay few months ago. I did installation for him and I couldn't find out why fuses are blown any time I connect NAV. Finally I opened cover to check connection and I saw that someone was messing with main board located under CD/DVD drive. Not sure what the seller was trying to do but it was definitelly something wrong with internal connection / tracks.

A lot of people think that it's a big saving to get cheap unit on eBay. I see more and more broken units sold that way and that number increase every month. Especially that eBay is not taking any responsibility for merchendise send overseas. I hope that you will manage to fix it ;)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I appreciate all the input. I will definitely take a look at all the wiring before I settle on another adapter but the adapter I have now I can't use all the plugs. I believe connector D that I haven't been able to use yet because the factory connector on the Audi doesn't fit it right. And connector C seems to have one less prong than NSX's example. I was pretty specific with the seller of the adapter but there must have been a little hiccup somewhere in there. I'm really hope that the adapter is the problem and not the unit.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
AudiA4B6US said:
pin D12 is connected to the ground wire in connector II pin 8 and that pin D15 is connected to 12V+ in connector III pin 7
I used NSX's chart and D12 is running to pin 7 on connector III and D15 is running pin 8 on connector III. I don't even have connector II, which I'm not sure if its important since in NSX's diagram it doesn't have anything coming out of it anyways. Please guide me along. I'm thinking of just switching those two around and trying it out. Does that sound like a good idea? I'll wait for a response before I try that though.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Connector II will only be there in a car without Bose and without full active speaker system. If you have either Bose of amps for all speakers you won't have a connector II.

I would relly not recommend to swap 12V+ and ground. If they are wired correctly there is no reason to do so. It's more likely that you device has indeed a hardware issue.

I guess the seller of the RNS-E is not willing to take it back or excahnge it for a working one, isn't he?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Update: I went on and tried it figuring the worst has already happened by blowing the fuses. RNS-e started right up. But now I only get sound from the rear speakers. I'll be looking through some of other posts but feel free to chime in help me get in the right direction. And very big thanks to all lent me a hand in this.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Do you have Bose? If so make sure that pin 7 in connector B is grounded or connected to connecor III pin 1. Also make sure that your RNS-E is properly coded for your car.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
After those two wires between backwards I checked all the wires and now I double checked them after you said that just to make sure I don't fry anything on my own from being anxious. By coded for my car do you mean the vag codes? If you do, I haven't gone to the dealer to get that done yet unless there's a way to do that through the radio itself.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
No, you need a VAG-COM cable or see your dealer to do the coding. But the speaker issue may be as simple as the missing Bose wire.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Pin 7 is running to pin 1 so that is correct. He even looped it back around and grounded it in the D connector so that is also serving as a ground. I'll just ask the Audi dealer to VAG code it and hopefully that will solve the speaker issue. Thank you for all your help tonight, I was really worried I bought a lemon.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts