Audi Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem or can think of any solutions. I searched the forum, but couldn't find anything related.

I installed my ME3 a few weeks ago. I connected it through a Dietz 1417 (the 1280 is on the way.) Anyway, I began watching a dvd and everything started out fine. However, after about 5 minutes the screen flickered and turned to black and white. After disconnecting everything, the next morning I tried to watch it again and the same problem ocurred.

I sent it to Midwest for repair and I just received it back today. The invoice said "complete unit, no fault found," but when I tried to watch a dvd tonight, same problem.

Has this happened to anyone else or do you have any ideas as to what the problem may be? Could it be my 1417? The TV is in color, so I don't think it's the Dietz. Could it maybe be my wiring setup?

Thanks in advance for any help

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It goes B/W after about 5 mins, not when I start driving. It's almost like as the unit gets warmed up, that causes it to turn to B/W. If I quickly turn it off, and then back on it remains in B/W. But if I turn the unit off and let it sit for a while, then turn it on it will play in color for the 5 mins then go B/W.

It's really goofy and something I've never encountered. I'm have no idea what it could be, that's why I thought it might be something with my wiring. I'll try a new set of RCA's and see what happens. Does it sound like that could be the problem? Thanks for the advice...

As for Midwest, they've been really good. My emails have been responded to quickly, and they got the unit back to me within 2 weeks. I trust that if there was a problem with the unit, they would have been able to diagnose and fix it.

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
The Dietz 1417 does an analog NTSC to digital RGB conversion to feed into the RNS-E.

It sounds to me like the NTSC decoder in the Dietz 1417 is drifting off frequency as it warms up and failing to detect the colour burst - resulting in a monochrome signal being generated on the RGB output to the RNS-E.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
PetrolDave said:
The Dietz 1417 does an analog NTSC to digital RGB conversion to feed into the RNS-E.

It sounds to me like the NTSC decoder in the Dietz 1417 is drifting off frequency as it warms up and failing to detect the colour burst - resulting in a monochrome signal being generated on the RGB output to the RNS-E.
And this is why I ask questions here. Incredible...

Thanks for info PetrolDave. So does this mean that a new Dietz 1417 is the answer? Or is there an adjustment that can be made to stop the monochrome signal?

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
triton23 said:
So does this mean that a new Dietz 1417 is the answer? Or is there an adjustment that can be made to stop the monochrome signal?
The frequency should be set by either a crystal or a ceramic resonator - it has to be very stable at 3.579545 MHz to work correctly, so it's unlikely that there is any adjustment.

If you can open the 1417 without causing damage it might be worth looking for any trimmers in the region of a crystal or resonator of that frequency. Personally I'd just get a replacement 1417.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
PetrolDave said:
The frequency should be set by either a crystal or a ceramic resonator - it has to be very stable at 3.579545 MHz to work correctly, so it's unlikely that there is any adjustment.

If you can open the 1417 without causing damage it might be worth looking for any trimmers in the region of a crystal or resonator of that frequency. Personally I'd just get a replacement 1417.
Ok, thanks again guys

1 - 7 of 7 Posts