Audi Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm attempting to build a module that will interface with the Dietz 1417. The idea is that my module will switch between two video sources, a backup camera and an auxillary video source. I'm planning on setting up a simple set of relays to do this effectively so that when the vehicle is placed in reverse it'll switch over to the backup camera source, then when you take it back out of reverse your auxillary video source will magically appear again. The obvious issue with this is the fact that I won't be able to also trigger the RNS-E to jump to the TV input when the vehicle is placed in reverse (Bjarne's CANGate looks like a nice platform to accomplish that portion of the project). Basically I'm looking for a few things from anyone else interested in doing this. I'll be the test dummy, I just need to find a good deal on a 1417.

Regards,
Adam

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I am definitely interested in the CANGate triggering the AUX input... I will have a rear cam connected to my OEM TV tuner soon.

Bjarne, any chance your CANGate can do this?

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Wouldn't the first step be to find the magic CAN message that changes the RNS-E into TV mode (or tell the TV tuner to change to AV1 or AV2) when a) a certain CAN message is received or b) a switch to ground or 12V+ is closed?

I'm not Bjarne but his CANgate already enables TV as source and can also filter out the speed signal if TV is selected as source. So softwarewise I would say it's no issue. The issue is how to talk the RNS-E into TV mode when revers is engaged.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Dirk is right. We need to find the magic CAN message to change the source for the RNS-E. We are not there yet :(

Bjarne

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It sounds like you guys are all thinking along the same lines as I am about this whole thing. Basically I'm just trying to get the video signals switching on the 1417 by Y'ing the source and setting up a relay between the sources so it'll at least switch to the proper source for the 1417 (although on the RNS-E it'll still be TV source and not any auxillary sources since I'm changing sources at the 1417 itself). Essentially I'm hoping to get basic functionality for now so that it will work as long as the RNS-E is already on the TV source, but I'm hoping to spawn some interest into passing another signal to trigger the RNS-E to switch to the TV source when the vehicle is placed is reverse.

As far as finding the magic CAN message, I've been playing with my vag-com a bit and run some of the self tests, etc. There's a thread on here with more details on the adaptation channels I've been meaning to mess around with if I can ever remember whenever I'm playing with it...I'll dig up the thread. Basically it looked to me like there's an adaptation channel that can switch the RNS-E to different sources, if that is indeed what happens I'd imagine it would at least give us a starting point to grab the packets and/or monitor the CAN lines when the message is sent? Thanks for all your support.

Regards,
Adam

EDIT: The information I was interested in was this:

-> Channel 112 (Audio Source)
0 - FM
1 - AM
2 - CD
3 - TV
4 - SAT

I didn't realize it was specifically the audio source before so it's probably a dead end, nevertheless it might be interesting to try and see what the RNS-E does when these values are changed.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Yes, I think you are referring to work Dirk has done. But it is only the audio source, and if IIRC it tells you, what is selected, it does not actually change the source. What we need to find is a CAN message that changes the selection, and basically controls the unit.

I really need to get back to doing a lot of experimentation, I also have some thoughts for the TV-free issue, that I want to investigate. But in order to do all this, I need a unit for bench work, that I am not too afraid of breaking. So can any of you think of a source for a unit, I can get for this.

It must:
1. be cheap
2. basically work
3. buttons and screen must work

Not important:
1. don't care what type (A3, A4, A6)
2. don't care about cosmetic condition
3. scratches on screen OK, as long as you can read the screen
4. OK if it does not read DVDs (must read CDs for updates)
5. busted radio antenna connectors OK

If anybody have any ideas or sources to look at, please email me.

Bjarne

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have just finished my first prototype interface. I'm curious to see if anyone else here would be interested in one of these interfaces. It will also work with any other aftermarket monitor/nav setup that uses standard composite AV inputs.

My design gives you 3 inputs and 1 main output. The inputs are as
follows:

- Composite video AND audio (AV1)
- Composite video (backup camera)
- Audio (Aux Audio)

Basically my interface works like this:

- By default AV1 is always active
- Whenever the vehicle is put into reverse, only the video will switch
and the backup camera source will become active
- You can plug in an Ipod or external audio source to the Aux Audio
channel as well, you flip a switch to use this Aux Audio channel.

I'm going to leave switching of the RNS-E to TV source to someone else since I want to keep my interface more universal so that it will work with several different nav systems. If you guys have any suggestions, comments, requests, etc. please let me know. I'm anxious to start working towards a pcb layout for this and improving the design a bit.

Regards,
Adam

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Will your interface convert composite video to RGB video or will someone still need a Dietz 1417 or similar to connect your interface to his RNS-E? Also, if technical possible, I would do two audio/video in and one video only. I think there are more people looking to connect two video sources, and even if not, using AV2 for audio only shouldn't be an issue, or?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was under the impression that the 1417 also sent out some commands over CAN to enable the TV source. If someone with experience with these CAN commands would like to work with me to turn this into a full fledged RNS-E multimedia interface I'd love to work with others to bring out an affordable interface. Other benefits of this would obviously be that we could avoid any external switches altogether. :lol:

I was actually thinking that people might be after multiple AV sources as well. I can think of a few ways this could be done, I can set it up as an option with a dip switch on the interface so the user can opt to use the inputs as either:

- 2 switchable AV inputs (on a switch)

or

- 1 AV input
- Backup camera input (auto-switching)
- Aux. Audio input (on a switch)

This would be pretty simple to setup, but I can also set it up so you would have :

- 2 AV inputs (on a switch)
- Backup camera input (auto-switching)
- Aux. Audio input (on a switch)

Something else I'm considering is setting up the Aux. Audio channel with a special feature that could be turned on/off using a dip switch on the unit. It could be setup so automatically switch to the Aux. Audio input whenever a device is plugged into it.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Anyone know how to activate the AUX input on the 32-pin connector? Does it show up as another source (like AUX) in the CD/MP3/TV source list?

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
NSX JR said:
Anyone know how to activate the AUX input on the 32-pin connector? Does it show up as another source (like AUX) in the CD/MP3/TV source list?
I have only seen once a wiring plan for the 32pin AMP connector that showed those additional inputs (and I lost the link to it), but all those input were marked as N/C for the RNS-E. Do you have any reference that would confirm they are actually used on the RNS-E?

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I can't verify that they actually work, but they are listed on the top of the RNS-E as:

AUX-NF-IN Right: Pin 6
AUX-NF-GND: Pin 21
AUX-NF-IN Left: Pin 22

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Those are the audio in for TV mode, they are active when TV is selected. I guess all you have to do is to turn TV mode on with the CANGate, select TV and connect some audio to those pins.

I thought you were talking about a second audio in that may exist on the 32pin AMP connector.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Welp, only one way to find out :) I'll see what happens when connecting to these, let's hope for the best as that would make a much cleaner integration :)

·
Registered
737 Posts
Nice, this sounds like a great project that I will buy.

Considering that it would keep me from having to buy the Dietz 1417 & 1280?

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
AudiA4B6US said:
Those are the audio in for TV mode, they are active when TV is selected. I guess all you have to do is to turn TV mode on with the CANGate, select TV and connect some audio to those pins.

I thought you were talking about a second audio in that may exist on the 32pin AMP connector.
Those are the AUX inputs... the NF inputs for TV are:

NF-IN-Right : Pin 13
NF-IN-GND: Pin 28
NF-IN-Left: Pin 29

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
You are absolutely right, I should have paid more attention. I guess in this case I don't know the answer but I will ask around.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Would be a very interesting solution for many users who want to connect an ipod, etc and keep the CDC active. Since the ipod text wont display on the RNS-E anyway, the only thing you lose is track/playlist control through the car.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts