Audi Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
than expected. Once I have everything else together (hopefully within the next couple of days, the fun will begin. I will keep everyone posted.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Who'd you end up using, Kufatec or Ralph? Also, I had a chance to do a little more research on the clock issue. There is no reason it should not work (should be a VAG coding issue). The NAV PLUS D version also does not have the clock wire that the symphony 1 posesses either and I have yet to hear anyone having problems with it.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I went with Ralf. The adapter is nice. Even my CD changer works! However there was a cable connected to my Symphony that is a ground, where do I connect that? I like sound too but that may be a placebo effect.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Forgot to mention, illumination, ignition, and DIS works also! now if I could just Code it. I would be set.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Awesome, way to take the plunge successfully! Wow, even your original CD changer works, very impressive. Which wires did you end up splicing into, just the ignition and Reverse (RFSL)? Did you have to mess around with the wiring to the DIS? Does your clock work? As for the ground, I need a little more of an explanation. Is it a loose ground wire? What did it used to be connectd to, which pin. Lastly what pins are still open on your harness if any? The way it sounds it might be an extra ground (not needed, except for a future accessory). I'd love to see pictures of your success if you get a chance.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have not spliced into any wires yet. I am still waiting for my antennae and map DVD. I borrowed a newer cable from a friend and am going to see if that allows me to get it to code the unit I will post some pics soon.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I just talked to ralf and put in an order. He said that there is no splicing that everything is strctly plug and play . . . is that right? He never asked which RNS-E I was going to install or anything. Also, which version RNS-E did you go with, Europe or North American. I think I might want the latter of the two but want your opinion. And just a quick confirmation, you DID get the clock working?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am getting ready to make the move. I have a US 2001 A6 with Bose, CD changer and a factory Nav. Just purchased a RNS-E E. Do you still suggest that Ralf is the right person to get the harness from?

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
I have seen adapters from both and they are all fine and about the same price. I would contact both, Ralf and Kufatec and see who responds first.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Everything seems to be plug and play although I am not able to test the navi portion to see if the speed signal is there because I don't have a GPS antennae :cry: The one I purchased does not work. it is the GPS/Radio/Cell antennae Ted was selling. The clock is not getting the correct info from the dash. it is rather odd because it is getting the correct date. I would suggets the US version RNS-E as the EU seems to be harder to integrate. I suggets Ralf, he seems to be on top of things. I should have taken his suggestion and purchased the GPS antennae from him.

·
Super Moderator
11,350 Posts
I say go for Ralf too - he sorted me out with the correct adapter for my Symphony 2 to RNS-E (Bose, no CD, no phone).

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Currannc,

Have you ordered your adapter yet? I will sell you mine. I am going to order another one with a gps antenna from ralf and tv/me3 adapter.

Let me know 719-671-2877

·
Registered
53 Posts
Damn, I bought it last night only 12 hours ago! I am buying a gps antenna from Vag parts. With all the talk of placement of the antenna and reception I figured OEM placement (back shelf) is where its going. It will be the orginal one made for the NAV+ with a 20ft cord. I will buy the adapter to the RNS from Kufatec. Have you modified the faceplate yet? If so, did you have it professionally done?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have not modified the face plate yet. I want everything working to my satisfaction before I do that. I am definately going to get a professional opinion, but really, the main thing is cutting the bottom off about 1/4" so that it fits, there is a bit of a gap on either side, (1/8") I am not sure if I am going to address that or not. It may be more trouble than it's worth.

·
Registered
53 Posts
wow, 1/8", that's pretty big. I'll try and think of some ways to remedy that. I found a place that looks good for painting the faceplate to match the rest of the interior: http://www.leatherworldtech.com/ I plan on sending them the faceplate, if detachable, of the current Symphony to them to get the coloring correct. You said you were going to order the TV/ME3 wire along with your new harness? Are you going to run that wire all the way to the back?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ralf does not offer that adapter for the ME3, but I guess Kufatec does? I am not sure how much I would use it so not decided whether to do that or not. If I do it, I would probably do a glove box install or under a seat if possible.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Did you ever get the VAG-Com settings figured out? I have also been debating the TV/ME3 wire and have pretty much come to the conclusion its not worth it. All the work that is involved in purchasing the FM/TV switchers and antenna adapters is more than its worth. To top it all off, we probably won't know if the antennas for the old system will be compatible with the RNS-E (especially the North American version). Even the TV tuner is new and updated so who knows. You also might want to reconsider placing it under a seat, depending on the heat generated from it, it might not function properly there. You said the current CD changer works with the RNS-E, is it the OEM changer you bought through Audi? Lastly, one quick question, do you know where I can buy one of those cd changer/phatbox switchers?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes it is the oem changer. Ted was saying he purchased a phatbox for 150. He may have a link to it in one of his posts.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts