Audi Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got an EU RNS-E and have installed it, but am having a few issues with the system. I VAG'd the unit, and was able to get most modules to work correctly (I think).

1) The unit does not turn on/off with the car. It only turns on/off with the power button of the faceplate, regardless of mode of the car. Additionally it will turn itself off after about 15-20 minutes. Seems like it is not getting a signal from the car telling it is on/off. Suggestions of any pins/wires to check?

2) The buttons do not light up with the rest of the dash buttons when the headlights are turned on. Again, guessing it's an interface with the car... any suggestions.

3) The kit I bought did not come with a adapter for the diversity antenna. Does that need to be connected?

Any suggetsions?

Thx

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
I got an EU RNS-E and have installed it, but am having a few issues with the system. I VAG'd the unit, and was able to get most modules to work correctly (I think).
Which part number of the RNS-E did you get?

1) The unit does not turn on/off with the car. It only turns on/off with the power button of the faceplate, regardless of mode of the car. Additionally it will turn itself off after about 15-20 minutes. Seems like it is not getting a signal from the car telling it is on/off. Suggestions of any pins/wires to check
2) The buttons do not light up with the rest of the dash buttons when the headlights are turned on. Again, guessing it's an interface with the car... any suggestions.
This indicates that you don't have the correct CAN-BUS connected to the RNS-E. Ignition and light are CAN only, no separate wires anymore. If you di not get a 4B0 unit you will also need speed over CAN which is not available in your car.

3) The kit I bought did not come with a adapter for the diversity antenna. Does that need to be connected?
Without the diversity antenna you will have very bad radio reception. You can give it a try but you may need diversity to receive other than local stations.

If you haven't used the search here I would recommend to do so. The following discussions should give you some ideas:
B5 Anyone?
Speed Signal for B5 S4 different from source for Symphony I?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
RNS-E number is 4B0-035-192-P... so I'm pretty sure that is correct. I tried playing with Vag-Com more and tried copiing the exact codes from a successful install and still no interface with the car. Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
The unit is the right one for the B5. Double check if you have the CAN-high and CAN-low wires connected correctly. Did you get CAN from the instrument cluster? If yes, which pins in which plug? Did you try to swap the CAN wires, maybe high and low are swapped? Programming of the unit is done through the K-line. So even if you can talk to the device, the CAn wires may still be connected wrong...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts