Audi Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi there,i was wanting to know how yeloshak managed to fit the rns screen in his b5 avant as i have the same model but i am struggling to get any one to modify the dash for the new mmi screen i have,i have a 2001 rs4 avant b5 if that helps with sat nav and tv tuner.any help and i would be grateful,is there a new cage you can buy or do you have to butcher the center console.i have taken the old unit out and wired the new harness in and most things work,it is very annoying you are that close but cant get it to fit.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
fitting rns-e in a b5 avant

hi again,thanks for the quick reply,i have in my car the older double din sat nav screen with the climate control under it,i have bought i newer modern screen the mmi rns-e and i was led to believe the right one for my type of b5 a4,to fit it i will have to butcher the carbon fibre inlay above and the climate as it is a bit bigger,also there is a gap at the side which i thought you could just pick up an adapter plate,every installer i ask tells me that this unit cannot be fitted in my car.the audi reference number on the unit i have bought is 8HO 035 192 there is no other writing on it.have i bought the right scren for a uk spec car or is there another model i should have went for.please get back in touch as i need all the help i can get,i hope i can fit it as it is a terrible waste if i cant.bloody ebay,its a pain in the arse.

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
The unit you have bought is for a B6 or B7 A4 Cabrio, not your B5 - it's not the best one for your car.

What you really need is one from an A6 - part # 4B0 035 192 with a P suffix if you are in Europe and an R suffix if you are in the US. You would need to do FAR LESS modifications then, and certainly would NOT have to modify your carbon fibre.

I suggest you stop NOW and get the correct unit.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cheers petroldave,i will take your advice on board,you put too much trust in people and that is how they pay you back,i will look out for this type and once again thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
question for petroldave b5 rs4 avant

this question is for petroldave again,i have managed to source the correct screen and to be honest i have lost a bit of heart with doing this upgrade now,is it easy enough to change the units over using the new harness or is there a lot of alterations involved,i have a tv tuner,bose and sat nav with a 6 cd changer and that is about it,what i am trying to say will all these still work when i switch them over,i also have the radio and sat nav details in my instrument cluster and would i still have this with the new one,i just wish i could find a good installer near me as all the other ones want to do the least amount possible for the most money.

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
Hi Tamm, there's lots of sellers out there who just want to sell their unit to anyone, even if it's not the right unit for the buyer. The trusted sellers on this forum are not like that, they have built up a good reputation selling what buyers really need - that's why we always recommend people to buy from one of the trusted sellers on this forum.

Having said that, if you've got an A6 RNS-E then you now have the best fit unit. So you've done the really difficult part - it gets easier from here on.

I've personally never fitted an RNS-E to a B5 but guys like NZX-JR and TeddyB have. I would recommend you PM them for the best advice (I think they've even put together an install guide for a B5 on NSX's website?

Edit - I think your TV tuner probably will be too old a version to work with the RNS-E and you'll have to upgrade that to a newer version. With the right plug-n-play harness adapter the electrical part should be pretty straight forward.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the advice petroldave,its good to know some folk out there care about the customer,i will give the new screen a bash and to be honest i can live without the tv tuner in the mean time as i find it hard enough to concentrate on my driving without tv adding to the distractions,i have seen some of the posts from the guys you mention and i will let you know how i got on,one of the sellers on ebay sent me a cd with a very in depth fitting guide but i am not an auto electrician and i dont want to torch my car,i got the guide with the new harness.thanks for you wisdom and getting back in touch so quick.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
rns-e( tv tuner question)

hi again,i have tried the local dealer ship to ask if a tv tuner 4EO 919 146 would work with the new screen 4BO 035 192P (cheers petroldave)and i would have got a better reply from my dog,the new tuner is suited for an a6 but so is the new screen,(my car is a b5 rs4 avant)any help and i would be grateful,i get a bit confused with all the different part numbers and you gauys on here seem to know more than the so called experts.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Re: rns-e( tv tuner question)

tamm said:
hi again,i have tried the local dealer ship to ask if a tv tuner 4EO 919 146 would work with the new screen 4BO 035 192P (cheers petroldave)and i would have got a better reply from my dog,the new tuner is suited for an a6 but so is the new screen,(my car is a b5 rs4 avant)any help and i would be grateful,i get a bit confused with all the different part numbers and you gauys on here seem to know more than the so called experts.
4E0 devices only work with the MOST based MMI systems and not with the RNS-E.

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts